Films and Recommendations - The Horror-The Horror 25/10/2009

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Films and Recommendations - The Horror-The Horror 25/10/2009

Post by voor »

For those who think we've given up on championing the unknown, the unloved and the unbeliavable - here is a brilliant film to start your weekend:

Kisaragi (2007): It's recent yes but no one seems to have watched this gem of a film on the Western shores. A dark comedy with many implausible twists and some terrific character acting - Kisaragi is the story of five men who come together to commemorate the suicide of C-list Model Kisaragi Miki and slowly come to the realisation that her suicide might not have been suicide after all and that the murderer might just turn out to be one of them! Zany without ever losing sight of its' plot, 'Kisaragi' is the sort of brillilantly entertaining movie that you wish Hollywood could churn out more often in the name of entertainment.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Just before Glasgow, here's something to keep you going:

And Soon The Darkness (1970): Now that it's being remade, we might as well remember this brilliant slice of paranoia from the 1970's. Two English, Jane and Cathy, go on a cycling holiday in rural France and during an argument end up splitting up. After a while Jane starts to regret her decision and decides to go back where she left Cathy only to find that she has disappeared! What follows is a brilliant tale of claustrophobic paranoia somehow told only in the brightest of daylight - a testament to the brilliance of Robert Fuest. All in all a splendid treat and one that every horror lover should make an effort to watch.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxdiNtHlz0
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

voor wrote:Just before Glasgow, here's something to keep you going:

And Soon The Darkness (1970): Now that it's being remade, we might as well remember this brilliant slice of paranoia from the 1970's. Two English, Jane and Cathy, go on a cycling holiday in rural France and during an argument end up splitting up. After a while Jane starts to regret her decision and decides to go back where she left Cathy only to find that she has disappeared! What follows is a brilliant tale of claustrophobic paranoia somehow told only in the brightest of daylight - a testament to the brilliance of Robert Fuest. All in all a splendid treat and one that every horror lover should make an effort to watch.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxdiNtHlz0
For sure. A low key gem, this one. Amazingly, this *feels* like one of the sleaziest psycho-thrillers of the 70s, even thoguh there's nothing whatsoever sleazy about the onscreen content of the film; it's rather coy opting for slow-burning chills over graphic thrills and spills. It's a properly feverish experience though; very European in tone and style, as much Cedric Kahn's Red Lights as it is George Sluizer's The Vansihing.

Genuinely intrigued as to how they'll possibly update this without it being either bland as anything or so over the top it loses the point of the original which was "lost in translation", indeed.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re:

Post by streetrw »

voor wrote:New Board, New Films - let's all try something different today!

And the film is:

House (Hausu) 1977: Perhaps the most amazing and unknown cult film from Japan - a bat-shit combination a haunted houser movie crossed over with an avalanche of creeped-out and funny imagery and as well as just plain bizarre fun. If you haven't seen this little gem before, seek it out now - I guarantee you will not know what hit you once it plays to the end.

Which Voor recommended last December, and LoveFilm's DVD showed up this morning. Batshit is right. I don't know that I enjoyed it, but it's certainly striking; they should supply a couple of Nurofens with each rental.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

PRIME CUT, mentioned earlier on this thread (but not really obscure enough to belong) is on BBC1 late Wednesday (May 12th).