GHOULS ON FILM - a Women in Horror Recognition Month event

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

GHOULS ON FILM - a Women in Horror Recognition Month event

Post by Notts Pete »

As part of 'Women in Horror Recognition Month', this looks like being a really interesting event.

The venue is The Mixing Bowl theatre in Birmingham on Saturday 20th February.

Nia Edwards-Behi has lined-up a programme of horror shorts and features made by, involving or about women.

Tickets look a bargain at only £6.00

There are shorts by Amanda Boyle, Paula Haifley, Faye Jackson and Maude Michaud - plus, 'Switch' the directorial debut of fellow FrightFester Melanie Light. I've seen some on-set pics of Mel and Co. out in the snowy woods waving a very big axe around - so I'm sold just on that!

Along with the shorts are two features; Kate Glover's outback slasher film 'Slaughtered" and the Soska Sisters' very interesting-looking 'Dead Hooker in a Trunk' - what's not to love about that little lot?!

http://www.ghoulsonfilm.blogspot.com

Plus, as and added bonus, the special guest is Emily Booth (or the future Mrs Notts Pete, as I like to call her). Bouff will be previewing her new web series, 'Behind the Screams' - which might include some of those deleted Doghouse scenes? Fingers crossed...

Anyway, me and Gav have booked our places to go and give our support(and will try and drag Grindy along if she's free). I know it's a bit close to Glasgow weekend, but just thought I'd let everyone know as it should be a really fun day.
Last edited by Notts Pete on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: GHOULS ON FILM - a Women in Horror Recognition Month event

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Nia is ace, and I'm going to try and come to this too.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

If i'm not working I will pop down to this.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
goregoregirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by goregoregirl »

I'm gonna try to go to this. Sounds like a great idea.
Twitter @goregoregirl
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

Bit late posting this, but just wanted to say thanks to Nia and Co. for putting on this great day last weekend.
Never been to the Mixing Bowl before - it was a really nice & unusual venue. The only cinema I know with a 50ft Green Man outside and a water feature with a huge dragon-sculpture looking over it!!

Nia was a great host and offered up some really interesting fims for us;

We saw half a dozen short films, all from female directors;
"Pop Art" by Amanda Boyle.
"Movie Monster Insurance" by Paula Haifley.
"Snuff" by Maude Michaud.
"Lump" by Faye Jackson.
"Switch" by Melanie Light.
"Without" by Natalia Andreadis.

All six were well made and creative but my favourites were Amanda Boyle's 'Pop Art' A superb UK fantasy about Toby, a boy who's just lost his mother and befriends Arthur - the inflatable new boy at school(!). This was most people's favourite, a really well made, touching and funny 15 min. short.
And, after building my expectations, I was not disappointed with "Switch" by our old friend Melanie Light. Mel sat just in front of us with her cast & crew and looked very nerveous before it screened - but she needn't have worried, this tight and punchy 4 min. film went down really well with the whole audience, with gasps and laughs coming in all the right places.

After that, Emily Booth took to the stage, along with Melanie and Kate Glover for a discussion on women in horror - past, present and future. I found this really interesting and it was great to see Emily in 'serious' mode - she gets a lot of stick for some of the stuff she does, but this showed off her real love of the genre( I still rate her Shock Movie Massacre as the best genre docu-series since Wossie's Incredibly Strange Film Show) and that she's not just the 'pretty face' she's often portrayed as being.

Next up was Kate Glover's debut feature "Slaughtered". This was an Australian slasher movie, set almost entirely in an outback bar. I'd have to be honest and say that it wasn't really my cup of tea, but for a first effort, and one entirely self-financed, Kate made a very polished and professional-looking flick

Finally, Nia had saved the best for last - the Soska Sister's "Dead Hooker in a Trunk". - Blimey, what can I say about this? A fast, hip, violent, sexy and extremely funny exploitation thriller/road movie hybrid by 26 year old Canadian twins Jen & Sylvia Soska.
As much as I loved 'Grindhouse', I have to say, this is the movie QT & RR would have loved to have made. The twins play two sisters - one a geeky good girl, the other a total badass - who wake up after a wild party one night to find a dead body in the trunk of their car and set about disposing of the body - easier said than done with junkies, bible-bashing boyfriends, psychotic cowboy pimps, mad priests and all manner of other nasties on their trail.

I'm sure Dead Hooker would go down a storm at FrightFest in August - any chance of you guys bringing the twins over for a midnight screening?

If this doesn't make it to FF, I'd urge you to grab any chance you get to see this great piece of mental retro-filmmaking - it's an abosolute blast!!

Anyway, I seem to have rambled on too long again - just wanted to say thanks again for the event and I hope Nia will be back next year with another Ghouls on Film.
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.