An Open Letter To GoreZone Magazine

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: An Open Letter To GoreZone Magazine

Post by soulmining »

Yes, I think that says a lot. It really doesn't do the magazine any favours.

Back to the subject of Rob Zombie though... he blows hot and cold; have to admit I adore The Devil's Rejects but his Halloween sequel was utter tripe. Actually watched his animated film The Haunted World Of El Superbeasto today... it's very, very juvenile but have to admit it was quite fun.
First things first, stay calm.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

I love El Superbeasto more with every watch! It is just easy to watch, and the songs are incredible! So much fun to had with that movie!

Also, as a side note, I was checking my blog stats and Wordpress tells me what Google searches have lead to my blog. One of yesterday's was "what have frightfesters got against gore".
Made me chuckle...
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
steve806
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by steve806 »

Jamie

That was actually me who searched for what do frightfester have against gorezone. I also searched for what do gorezone magazine have against frightfest.

Having only picked up on the apparent anomisity recently I was interested to try and find out why this exists?

At face value it seems that the frightfesters appear to have a consistently adult approach to all of this and by and large criticism has been well thought out and constructive whereas unfortunately a lot of the pro gorezone has seemed quite infantile.

I was just being nosey really.

Still thikn your blog was fine by the way.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Fair enough, I just saw that someone had googled it and it made me chuckle. Some of the search terms that find my blog are really rather funny, although some are pretty disturbing too!
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

dangerous_jamie wrote:Fair enough, I just saw that someone had googled it and it made me chuckle. Some of the search terms that find my blog are really rather funny, although some are pretty disturbing too!
I get some weird ones too... there are actually people out there looking for Talking Dogs but get my UP review :lol:
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

One other pertinent point to make: From an article on telegraph.co.uk (specifically regarding libel):
A libel case is so horrendously expensive that most writers, scientists and journalists cannot afford to defend their writing, even if they are convinced it is accurate and important. These costs can easily run to over £1 million and are wholly disproportionate to the damages involved, which might be less than £10,000.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

You see I can't see how it is being libellous as it is only his opinion and nothing more, it has not been published in any attempt to defame the magazine in any way whatsoever.

If we are not allowed to have an opinion on something then what sort of society are we living in?

If FF plays a bad film then should I sit back and say nothing for fear of upsetting someone. Or hope that even if bad reviews comes back for a persons work, they take it onboard and maybe just use that criticism to make their next piece of work a better one.

Part of me feels that GZ feels threatened by criticism but why they can not take that onbaord and use it to improve the quality of the magazine is beyond me.

I stopped having anything to do with GZ for a variety of reasons.

The Magazine. As much as I love it's a British horror magazine and that I feel compelled to support it, I can not justify spending my money every month on a poor publication. The reviews are far from being current, when they are it usually transpires that the film under review turns out to not be very good anyway, at least based on what I have purchased based on reviews of theirs. A high quantity of the pages are taken up with adverts so the general feel of the magazine, in terms of value for money, for me at least, is not worth it. I would personally prefer more horror features/reviews and less adverts, book reviews and music reviews to.

Gorezone Weekend Of Horror. I attended in 2008 and to be fair it did sound promising and some films I really enjoyed (Gutterballs, MMT, Driftwood spring to mind). However, VIP tickets were not VIP tickets, people sat in any seat they wanted so you pay a premium for VIP seats for no reason. "Free booze served at seat" did not materialize. Special guests were few and far between. Then to top it all off tickets get sold at £25 for the same seats (wherever you want to sit btw) for the same festival. Suffice to say I shall not be returning unless there is a serious rethink regards quality, consistancy and value for money.

Gorezone Forum / Readers. The way this has been dealt with by them is absolutely shocking and any remaining respect I may have had for the publication has totally vanished. the derisory comments in regard to FF and it's organisers are libellous and if anyone had a case to bring surely it would be them? I'm sorry if you feel that a really good festival, showing a decent selection of films, run and organised by decent down to earth people is a problem for GZ but for me it isn't. How nice it is to be acknowledged, told thanks for coming back to see us, to have your questions answered, to be remembered and to have your attendence felt valued. I know after all of this sorry affair where I would rather spend my money :D
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

The thing in that thread that summed it up for me was the post likening all the fuss to horror film censorship. Very Ironic.

I must say I haven't laughed so much in a long long time reading some of those illiterate posts. They sound like they came from a chav who thinks watching the saw movies makes them a horror film fan.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

maxmum wrote:who thinks watching the saw movies makes them a horror film fan.
*gulp* It doesn't?!?!

*grabs his hat, coat n scarpers!*
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Or Twilight in your case....
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Inmyblood
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Inmyblood »

If the open letter caused so much trouble I hate to think how they react to the following online blog...

http://gorezonewatch.blogspot.com/
zombegirl
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by zombegirl »

Hello all! I,m new to the forum, but i would just like to add my opinion on the Gorezone mag thread. I have only read GZ mag once myself and i would tend to agree with the poor quality of the mag, I,m no punctuation and grammar freak, but you would think that somebody(maybe the editor) would proof-read the articles before they went to print. I,m surprised that they are so sensitive to this kind of public criticism. Anyway rant over. :)
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

Good grief. The response to Jamie's blog post I find unbelievable, especially the comments coming from the Gorezone staff. Well done Jamie for standing your ground in the face of, well, a tidal wave of shit.
cyberschizoid
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by cyberschizoid »

Inmyblood wrote:If the open letter caused so much trouble I hate to think how they react to the following online blog...

http://gorezonewatch.blogspot.com/
I can't access this blog anymore! :(
Does anyone know who the author is?
Come and visit : http://cyberschizoidmultimedia.wordpress.com