Films everyone loves... except you!

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Re: Films everyone loves... except you!

Post by krispyg »

Please no, don't criticise Antichrist

There will be tears
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

The thread is called Films everyone loves... except you, so there s bound to be some criticism...

I saw Inside for the first time the other week and I wasn't really that impressed - sure there were some icky bits that any gorehound would love, but I just felt it was far too unrealistic. Aside from the whole situation of a woman going to any lengths to steal your unborn child (something I could never realistically see occurring to myself or anyone I know), there were too many moments where weapons were dropped when they should have been held on to, people were left for dead rather than finished off, lights left switched off when going to investigate - typical cliches that should have been avoided for a supposedly smart horror film.

It was all a bit too convenient.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

krispyg wrote:Please no, don't criticise Antichrist

There will be tears
I fekin HATED Antichrist, but haven't put it in this thread because it's not fair to say everyone else loves it.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

kimblebee wrote:I saw Inside for the first time the other week and I wasn't really that impressed - sure there were some icky bits that any gorehound would love, but I just felt it was far too unrealistic.
I felt the same way, and nearly added Inside to the thread too! Death on a Rainy Sunday I felt was a much better movie, however that too also flirted with being unrealistic in character behavior.
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

MaxRenn wrote:
krispyg wrote:Please no, don't criticise Antichrist

There will be tears
I fekin HATED Antichrist, but haven't put it in this thread because it's not fair to say everyone else loves it.
FIGHT!

I love this thread, the films you hate can say as much about you as the ones you love, and there's nothing like a lively debate in a safe virtual environment where we can't start throwing our shoes at each other.

It's true Antichrist is more "Marmite" than "everybody loves", but those that like it seem to really like it. Furthermore those that hated it like myself seem far more ready, willing and able to articulate their dislike, where the Antichrist fans remain far more enigmatic, often saying things like "well if you didn't get it that's fine, but I thought it was beautiful". I know it's much easier to criticise, and i know the tone of my post(s) is somewhat aggressive, but i'm sincere in honestly wanting to know exactly what is Antichrist all about, and what do people like about it? I feel like the kid in The Emperor's New Clothes, trying to point out that the only interesting thing on display is Willem Dafoe's willy, frustrated by what others claim they can see, but i'm somehow missing. Like I've said, i do normally "get" Lars von Trier films, in some cases like Dear Wendy, on quite a personal level and far in excess of those around me, but i just don't get Antichrist.
So if someone was to try and explain it to me, i'd not only try and be uncharacteristically nice and respectful of their oppinion, but i'd also be truly grateful.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

Bill, I think the problem is you "got" Antichrist only too well.

Not many that really make my blood boil, but these are really quite popular so I figure they warrant inclusion...

The Dead Zone. Sorry, but the book bored me to tears and it was turned into a truly dull film. I could go on for hours on this one, but I'll leave it there.

The Thin Red Line. I so desperately wanted to love this, but, dare I say it, aside from being very pretty, it's utterly soulless.

Stag Night. I'm not sure if EVERYONE loves this and it isn't a classic, but going by the reviews on here and the reaction in Glasgow, I'm clearly in the minority when I say it barely deserved a release, full stop.

Friday the 13th. The original was awful with only sequels 6,4 and 2 being watchable. I really don't get it - The Burning was a far superior film, yet the gubbins that was Cunningham's effort went down in history. Just dire.

:)

Oh, and Amer was superb.

And Suspiria isn't a Giallo!
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Marlin wrote:Stag Night. I'm not sure if EVERYONE loves this and it isn't a classic, but going by the reviews on here and the reaction in Glasgow, I'm clearly in the minority when I say it barely deserved a release, full stop.
Stag Night or "The Tunnels Have Eyes"- I was going to put that one on just because one review said "the best new mainstream horror since saw" and it really isn't. Who on earth would give it such gushing praise?- oh hang on, that would be FRIGHTFEST!
I'm embarassed.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Y'know I really can't stand Vincenzo Natali's films, Cube has no ending, Cypher is amateurish, and Splice was stupid beyond belief.

Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

MaxRenn wrote:Y'know I really can't stand Vincenzo Natali's films, Cube has no ending, Cypher is amateurish, and Splice was stupid beyond belief.
Cypher was a touch mediochre and I've yet to see Splice, but I bloody love Cube, and some ten years ago i wrote my final year architecture dissertation on "Architectural alllegory in Vincenzo Natali's Cube." Ending or not, and even with the uneven acting, it's packed full of symbolism and meaning.
If you didn't like Cube, steer well clear of the sequels, now there's dire.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Marlin wrote: Friday the 13th. The original was awful with only sequels 6,4 and 2 being watchable. I really don't get it - The Burning was a far superior film, yet the gubbins that was Cunningham's effort went down in history. Just dire.
Woah now just hold on a minute.....
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

Yeeeesssssss?

:lol:
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

ah no, Friday the 13th is awesome! The shoddy remake on the other hand... please tell me you don't prefer that to the original Marlin?
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

AAaargh, fucking remakes!

now they can make me very cross indeed, especially when mindless popcorn chompers (or even reviewers who should know better) say "better than the original" as they did with Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dawn of the Dead (!?!).
Kronenbourg's Fly of Scorsese's Cape Fear are just about forgiveable, but Assault on Precinct 13 and Deathrace really raise the bar on missing the point.

No remake can ever be more than shit on the shoes of the original.
Which ones do y'all love to hate?
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Mr Bill wrote:AAaargh, fucking remakes!

now they can make me very cross indeed, especially when mindless popcorn chompers (or even reviewers who should know better) say "better than the original" as they did with Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dawn of the Dead (!?!).

No remake can ever be more than shit on the shoes of the original.
Which ones do y'all love to hate?
Fuck off Bill!!!!!
"The little pissed Welsh tit is here. And pissed"
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Mr Bill wrote: No remake can ever be more than shit on the shoes of the original.
I can't get behind this, the problem with the current crop of remakes is that they are made by bean counters for the sole purpose of making money with minimum effort, but that doesn't mean remakes are bad. I view them like cover versions of songs, for every 10 anodyne Boyzone cover versions, you will get something like Elvis Costello's version of Shipbuilding or Sinead O'Connor's version of No One Compares 2 U.

Just avoid anything with the name Micheal Bay anywhere on the credits.