films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Blimey!!! Most posts are enough to make a nun blush!!! :oops:
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

well spamalot has opened (shit joke ahoy)
dall425

glasgow

Post by dall425 »

cant wait for news of films / tickets etc from the boys.

Watched last night a trailer of grindhouse which i think was shown at the comic con recently and i was completely blown away.

It features zombies, car explosions, tom savini, danny trejo as machete man (just a made up trailer, i think) and i could hear the audience the trailer was being shown to cheering all the way.

If this isnt the film to see next year then i'am on a diet all through christmas ! (and that is unlikely to happen !)

hot fuzz and grindhouse.............iam frothing at the mouth already !
Payne
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Payne »

Just saw the trailers for Die Hard 4 (live free or Die Harder) and transformers, Both look amazing, especially transformers.

And grindhouse does look cool, some pics have just come out from quentin's section "death Proof" see them here:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2006/12/14/ ... rt-russell
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

On the subject of Grindhouse, any further news on the possible Frightfest 'Grindhouse Day' in London in April 07, which Alan mentioned at the all-nighter

Would be nice to hear some news to help us through the long cold winter!
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Just saw the Black Christmas remake last night. I thought it was abysmal. It's like they just took the famous(ish) images of the original (the eye staring out and the bag over the head) and just repeated it over and over again.

On it's own merits it was pretty poor but when compared to the original, Jesus that really shows how crap it is. When Michelle Trachtenburg died I was tempted to walk out, as there was no real reason to keep watching.

The only good bit was laughing at that girl puking up.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

even in its most fevered of dreams this film isnt even good enough to be called abysmal.

Utter shit from start to finish. Over elaborating the back story... and insulting the audience with the whole "she was inbred , she was billys child" well first we know because they showed us his mum and him and we know what inbred means so dont ned it explained in the very next sentence.

And i know Glen Morgan is an X Files escapee but fuck off with making Billy into Eugene Victor Tombs from X files!

The girls were nigh on indistinguishable. It was hard to know who was who.

And why did Agnes look older than her dad? How did she get into the house? Why did the gore splat all over the place like some one dropped a cherry trifle?

the eyes hanging off the tree as baubles was a good image.. but it makes you realise just what a missed chance this was. Why didnt they do a crepy versions of Xmas carols in the music for instance? and y not have a cheesy Metal version of jingle bells or sommat

as for the peeping tom through the bath room floor? or being able to push out a tiny pin in the wall becuase u are behind the wall? WHAT? the walss are like 3 inches thick and the pin isnt even a centimetre.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

Going against the grain here a bit, but i thoroughly enjoyed the BLACK CHRISTMAS remake. I am a big fan of the creepy, very intelligent original version, and this remake is best taken as a sick joke rather than a legit remake...but still, any movie that features this many eye-gougings, hot sorority girls, skin cookies, and a marvellously cynical view of Christmas is, to me, a fine December's entertainment.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just watched Night at the Museum.

Entertaining fluff. Like the idea everything comes life when Museum is closed. Ben Still is usual funny self. Ricky Gervais is Ricky Gervais.

Weird seeing Dick Van Dyck and Mickey Rooney in this. Still they were rather amusing.. Just the love the miniature Romans and Cowboys fighting each other and the Tex Rex dog wannabe.

All round daft but fun.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I'd seen it before, naturally, many times - but yesterday I picked up VERTIGO on DVD (£3 from HMV; one of many bargains in the sales). It's still a beautiful movie, pretty disturbing, with a thundering great Bernard Herrmann score.

Other bargains picked up and awaiting a watch: several from Anchor Bay including the BLIND DEAD box set (£8), the utterly bonkers SANTA SANGRE (complete with Alan Jones commentary!) and TWO EVIL EYES at a fiver each [and they're the full Anchor Bay versions rather than the no-extras cutdowns], and a box set of three John Woo classics (including the fabulous BULLET IN THE HEAD which I haven't seen in years) for £15.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

My final day in London for 2006 yielded:

ERAGON. Oh dear. It really isn't very good, though I don't think it's one of the five worst of the year as Alan Jones did. It's just so ordinary, typical, computer-generated fantasy product; if you've seen DRAGONHEART you've seen this one and it also ticks off a lot from the original STAR WARS template. John Malkovich hams it up as the bad guy, and the ending is a direct set up for the probably-never-going-to-happen ERAGON 2.

BORAT. Yes, it's funny, but [1] not as funny as all that and [2] it doesn't excuse some of the crasser gags, including the nude wrestling scene which goes on way too long. I was actually more amused by the fact that some of the supposed dupes are suing Fox for duping them into making obnoxiously sexist remarks. D'UH - THEY'RE FRAT BOYS! Most of the best gags are the ones in the scripted segments, particularly the opening Kazakh sequence, which was the film's original trailer.

PERFUME: THE STORY OF A MURDERER. It's way too long, and goes completely tonto in the final reels, but it's great to look at and I also liked the music. No French accents either. The big names are a bewigged Dustin Hoffman and a (for once) non-sinister Alan Rickman.

Plus the BBC's new Dracula...The trouble is there's really nothing you can do with Drac any more, it's a text done so often it has no power left. This version has no Renfield, no brides, and it isn't really that much fun. Even the John Badham movie with Frank Langella was better, and Badham had drained the colour on that one almost to black-and-white. Personally I don't think you'll ever beat Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, so why bother trying when all you've got is the annoying one out of Hustle and ITV's Poirot with a slightly different funny accent and a stick-on beard?
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

yep
hearing the same on the dracula - yet 2 be watched sky plus
just saw 2 torchwoods - the countrycide one - pretty cool and the amulet people thinking one - not good
thought the xmas dr who was not bad and - i just cant criticize probably 1 of the few genuine decent bits of telly from this period - liked the tardis chase and the season preview - (ooh i could spill some beans)
watched the derren brown show - a cool show and a great chap
loved the big quiz of the year with jonathan, etc - even russell brand was funny - and as for walliams well...
fell asleep within 2 minutes of watching snakes on the whatsit on xmas day - spark right out - will try again
it was a mini fest reunion in the store today when alan, ghouldrool, and chief brody all happened in at the same time - i think mr d was chastised for his non fest attendance
off 2 the ship in croydon for ny eve with julian, louise and her lad john - it's a 007 theme night - oh shit - so wish us well - perhaps i'll go as jaws

have a great one!! one and all - whatever ye be up to

btw dont forget 2 sky plus charlie brookers screen wipe review of the year at 11.50 on bbc3 or 4 - it will RULE!!

lol

p
x
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Team Banzai wrote:it was a mini fest reunion in the store today when alan, ghouldrool, and chief brody all happened in at the same time - i think mr d was chastised for his non fest attendance
Well, I was in there yesterday and bought a stack of CDs. Haven't got around to playing them yet, though....

Oh, yes, the Dr Who Christmas thing. Oddly, the one thing I hated most was the Tardis chase (that and the cosmically annoying Catherine Tate; if she had signed up as a regular companion I'd seriously have to consider whether to continue with it). It's still better than Torchwood - series finale tomorrow. And, memories of the Tom Baker years notwithstanding, I think I can resist The Sarah Jane Chronicles.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Damn, forgot about Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe last night... :cry:

Last two Torchwoods tonight, has been hit and miss but I'm still watching it... and they've commissioned a second series now. Thought the Doctor Who special was okay, although also glad that Catherine Tate isn't staying, was half expecting her to say, "Look at my face..." to someone during the episode. Trailer for the new season looked good!

Also new ER, 24 and Prison Break this month!

Watched the Derren Brown live show last night on E4, that whole broken glass routine was really freaky... I'm sure he's a lovely fella but I'm always scared to approach him when he's at FF, afraid of what he can do!!

Happy New Year everyone!
First things first, stay calm.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

soulmining wrote:Watched the Derren Brown live show last night on E4, that whole broken glass routine was really freaky... I'm sure he's a lovely fella but I'm always scared to approach him when he's at FF, afraid of what he can do!!
Just get Jimbo to protect you!! Tee Hee!

Just been watching 3 episodes of Masters of Horror. What a mixed bag.

The first one Imprint - Takashi Miike. I thought would be more shocking but the content is probably more disturbing. Still enjoyed watching this episode and could see why this got banned. 3 Stars

Jenifer. - Dario Argento. Thought this one was interesting. A film that involves a character with a body of Baywatch and the face of Monster Watch. Found this rather cliched and the ending you saw coming a mile off. One woman who should come with a health warning!! 2 Stars

Dance of the Dead - Tobe Hooper. Set in the a apocalyptic furture. Thought this one was the weakest one. Did not find the story interesting and the shuddering camerawork effect annoying in some of the scenes. Which at times made the scenes lose impact of what was happening to the characters. There are some instances of Near Dark/Mad Max influences. 1 Star