films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Caught Apocalypto at the cinema - fast paced and enjoyable to watch, although there is a sense of anti-climax at the end!

Also saw the following slightly older films on DVD:

Brotherhood - Korean war film about two brothers which is reminiscent in style in some ways to the older John Woo films - worth seeing

Dans Ma Peau (In My Skin) - French film about a woman who self harms herself - disturbing to watch at times but compelling viewing and highly recommended

The Stink of Flesh - low budget zombie film which is good fun although doesn't quite know how to end - there is also a zombie in it which looks a bit like Kim Newman!
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Saw Perfume...

I echo soulmining's comments - a really good film.

Terrific music and visuals, a great lead performance (we'll be seeing more of Ben Whishaw in the future), and an engaging story although it did turn into a slightly steamy 'Lynx' commercial towards the end...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

just finally caught up with tcm the begininng - which i found kinda odd
i liked the look of it and in its unrated form it is a spectacularly gory affair - with a couple of astonishingly beautiful girls in distress - but it just was not even remotely scary or disturbing.
also the story kinda ran out of steam half way through, and just reverted to being another retread of some scenes from the original and remake.
the dvd though is a remarkably loaded affair with deleted scenes and interesting alt ends - but best of all is a superb long docu on the making of etc. which has some superb nicotero stuff showing how he does his fx and showing alt takes/angles/ just fascinating stuff - probably better than the actual film.

followed this with the 1st ep of s6 of 24.. holy shit - now, i watched the 1st 3 seasons of the show, it seemed to go off the boil, i hear nothing but amazing things re s5 (must watch) but this 1st ep of the next season is just amazing telly - the strands they set up and characters they position in just 42 mins of tv is just amazing, and you are literally drooling for the next ep by the end. a must see - even if you haven't seen the previous, it is so clear what is going on do not miss!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Yes, do seek out Season 5 of 24, it was really back on top form... really looking forward to seeing the new season when it starts on Sky next Sunday.

Prison Break is back on Five tomorrow night too... plus Masters Of Horror on Bravo afterwards. :D
First things first, stay calm.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

ta for recomm soul

OMG! we just watched eps 2-4 (and a bit of 5)

it just gets better and better - the last 15 mins of ep 4 is just astonishing tv - the likes of which, well - i'm literally speachless..

please when sky show it - do NOT miss!
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Series 4 is the best of 24. Series 5 is ace too.

Series 3 was crap for the first two thirds but the final third was as good as anything in any of the other series'. If it had been that good throughout it would have been the best.

My brother and I will be Sky plussing series 6 so we can watch loads of episodes at once when it's finished. You can't watch 24 one episode a week, it'd be too hard.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Not having Sky, I'm entirely unaware of 24 beyond whichever one it was where the nuke went off in the desert somewhere....(yeah, I suppose I could rent it).

Saw SMOKIN' ACES last night; a near incomprehensible corpse-strewn Febs V Mobsters comedy-action-thriller. Various unsavoury types (assassins and FBI boys) descend on Lake Tahoe to either eliminate or protect a mob snitch. Hilarity (or more accurately a hail of gunfire) ensues. Some big names in the cast (Ben Affleck, Andy Garcia), and I liked the ending, but it's all very messy.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Sarah of the Dead »

This weekend:

Last King Of Scotland - not a horror, but wow; that was pretty horrific.

Dellamorte Dellamore - yay!

Night of the Demons - er, not so much yay.

Final Destination 2 - I went to bed after the spaghetti bit. That's the best part, anyway. Except for the airbag, and RUDY JONATHAN CHERRY's death...
[size=75][url=http://sarahhatesyourmovie.blogspot.com]Sarah Hates Your Movie[/url][/size]
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Laymonite wrote:Series 4 is the best of 24. Series 5 is ace too.
I started late with 24, and I've been watching them through in order, at the moment I'm part way through four (six episodes in)and I feel its the worst one so far - largely because its missing too many characters from the earlier series, so it kind of feels like a Jack Bauer spin-off rather than 24. I enjoyed three because they managed to keep up the same threat throughout the whole day, rather than skipping from threat to threat as with two. Although I can't comment on five and six, from best to worst I'd rank them:

Season one
Season three
Season two
Season four

I've heard season 5 is very good though, and season 6 does sound promising.
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

xLeft For Deadx wrote:largely because its missing too many characters from the earlier series
Just you wait :wink:
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

[quote="soulmining"]Here's my latest batch from the past week...

The Last King Of Scotland - proper quality movie! Almost documentary feel from Kevin Macdonald, bolstered by excellent performances from Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy. Really gripping stuff, especially watching the relationship between the two leads... audience was rapt throughout, it was such a pleasant change from the usual whispers/rustling/mobiles racket. quote]

Totally agree with Soulmining comments. Before the film started there were people chatting and then quietness descended when the film started.

I thought it was a really good educational film about a time in the bloody history of Uganda. The leads were excellent and Forest Whitaker was amazing. He did look fearsome but not so in a kilt. This is one film so far with Gillian Anderson I have enjoyed. 3 Stars
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

oh i loooooooooved the x files movie and the x files in general

lucky to be seeing hot of fuzz 2morrow (cannae wait) and hannibal rising on friday (heard bad reviews of the book and good from folks who have seen early cuts of the film) or joanna newsom - decisions?

and hooogly excited to be seeing inland empire next tuesday - as trixy will attest im a massive lynchophile! but have heard mixed to say the least - 3 hours, impenetrable (even by DL standards) shot on dv over many years, but i'm SO there!

btw for lovers of saw there's a new film out on us dvd called unknown - great cast, haven't seen it yet - but looks cool, also gonna finally watch the unrated saw 3 hmm..
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Team Banzai wrote:lucky to be seeing hot of fuzz 2morrow (cannae wait) and hannibal rising on friday (heard bad reviews of the book and good from folks who have seen early cuts of the film) or joanna newsom - decisions?
I'd go with the film because a little bit of googling suggests that Joanna Newsom is the singer of that incredibly annoying "Svetlana Sucks Lemons" thing that Orange are using on their "turn your phones off" ads and which I've now heard more times than any sane person should ever have to. I feel like leaving my mobile switched on in protest. ('Cept nobody ever rings me, so it's very much a hollow gesture.) :)
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Personally I'd go and see Joanna Newson as you'll be able to see Hannibal Rising everywhere soon... and as irritating as that Orange advert is, my good friend and colleague Dom tells me that her latest CD was the best album of 2006. 8)

Right, onto Smokin' Faeces, sorry, I meant Smokin' Aces of course! :wink:

Imagine a 16 year old kid with ADD watched a lot of Tony Scott movies and then decided to make a 90min film remake of the climax of True Romance and you'll get the picture... It's sub-Guy Ritchie; cartoon characters (with a lot of stunt casting - Matthew Fox, Alicia Keyes, Jason Bateman etc.) all rather conveniently ending up in a pitch battle in hotel. It's Revolver meets Domino. Poor FBI guys Ray Liotta and Ryan Reynolds seem to have walked in from a serious crime thriller... whereas the 'rogue' metal bounty hunters seem to have wandered in from Dobermann! And then there's the ghetto talking lesbians with a bad case of over-dubbing - watch their lips move, not! As for the mad kid with the nunchucks... :shock:

I could go on... and on... this is a car crash of a movie. There is some good action, eventually, and it's certainly violent... but it's a hollow thrill, and then limps to a talky conclusion with a silly plot twist thrown in for good measure. Still, Reynolds, Keyes and Jeremy Piven all acquit themselves well given the material they have to work with. Nice trailer, but then I said that about The Black Dahlia and that was sh*t too!
First things first, stay calm.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

soulmining wrote: Right, onto Smokin' Faeces, sorry, I meant Smokin' Aces of course! :wink:

It's Revolver meets Domino.
Yes - two of the very worst movies of 2005 (and Liotta, in his underpants, was in Revolver as well!). It's a mess.