films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

I watched Inferno the other day and was really disappointed. Personally I prefer the films up to and including Inferno Rosso. The horror element just seems to be an excuse to have no plot. Don't get me wrong, they certainly look good and have great soundtracks, but I want more than that. And I'm hoping that The Third Mother will not be another film in which all the murders are carried out by Dario Argento's hand, it just looks so dated.
Matt
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Matt »

Recently seen

Gone - Actually quite enjoyed it. Looked great, relatively well acted (although the antagonist didn't really strike as imposing). It was always obvious where it was going and the end was a little flat (anyone who has seen it will like that little pun, I'm sure). I actually think this might have worked better as a drama.

School For Scoundrels - Not bad, not really good. Very much Jon Heder's film and he did what he could with it. That said, they had Billy Bob Thornton playing a devilish rogue type character and hardly managed to get a single laugh out of it. Also had two of my favourite stand-up comics in it, Sarah Silverman and David Cross, and all but wasted them. Still features some good laughs and a stand-out cameo from Ben stiller.

Death Proof - Where it's good, it's exceptional. It's also begging to be shorter. To be honest, a bit dissappointing. Sure it's a good film, but there are parts that really don't work that Tarantino should be able to do. Particularly the dialogue. It's still great fun and it looks incredible. Would have preferred to see it as part of the full Grindhouse presentation.
www.Myspace.com/Filthybastards - With a new blog about horror actors.

www.myspace.com/MattEdwards - Featuring a shiny new blog with some amazing facts.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just seen Moliere. A rather enjoyable well written French farce with some comical and moving moments. With some dandy characters and costumes to match. With one particular character who is the thespian brother of Rasputin.

Also the latest Shivers flopped onto my mat. With a couple of rather good articles. Intro from Mr Alan Jones. Interviews with Christopher Smith, Rob Zombie, Eli Roth. Still ploughing through the magazine.......
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
VictorCrowley
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by VictorCrowley »

As it turned out only went to see Simpsons today; although I was outvoted, it turns out I can veto at the last moment considering it's my credit card that was paying for the tickets!

Simpsons is quite a disappointmetn; that comes from a fan. Moments of brilliance (not least seeing Bart's, uh, laser sword) but all in all, just meh. Won't be going to see it again (as I was prepared to had I loved it) and may even cave on Transformers...
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Watched Creep again this evening on DVD. I do like the London Underground as a setting, and it's well used ... but for some reason I didn't enjoy it as much as first time. There are a few moments that sadly don't quite work. And I'd have liked more overt music (but then that's my thing).
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

Transformers. Hate to let Bay past without a nard kick...but nice effort mate.

Monster Squad...sorry! Watched it a million times but to finally get a proper DVD with a beautiful transfer from the print....awesomenessity. Oh and the retrosepctives on disc 2 are great.

Hmmm, seem to be basking in a nostalgia glow. Time for some gore!

Balanced it all out with Behind The Mask at 2am.....just really, really enjoyed that flik, it has the feel of a film that was fun to make.
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Gungrave wrote:Monster Squad...sorry! Watched it a million times but to finally get a proper DVD with a beautiful transfer from the print....awesomenessity. Oh and the retrosepctives on disc 2 are great.
Monster Squad fans might like to know that a soundtrack CD featuring the complete score to the film - its first legitimate release - is coming in October. Apparently there's a song in the movie which ISN'T included on the CD, though.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Another evening with likeminded mates scoffing pizza and quaffing beer. Had the viewing pleasure of:

Frankenhooker: Think Best Friend but with more humour and not as serious. Get to see exploding hamster due to inhaling something it shouldn't. A fish tank with a very peculiar looking fish. No one batters a eyelid! Talk about building a profile of your other half. See 80's fashion disasters and I think"god I wore that!".

Very amusing at times and not as good as Basket Case. Still has some of the basic effects of Basket Case.

Next up Evil. My very first Greek Zombie film(with yellow subtitles). You can see it has influences of Dawn of the Dead and 28 Weeks Later. Quite stylized at times, some stilted acting but does deliver on head chopping and body slicing fun. There is a also Keith Allen lookalike. Worth a watch.

Lastly, Tombs of the Blind Dead. Seen this a few times. Never tire of this. Has a great atmospheric soundtrack and a visually stunning ruin village. Some creepy Templar Knights and some characters who deserve to be Templar fodder!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

Complete sidetrack here but I figure this is where most people will see this....

Playusa.com is doing the heroes season 1 box set R1 for £34.99

Not realsed until the 28th of august but I have a feeling some may want to order early (she says having already done it)
Have you heard of my friends capital letter and comma?

No? Well perhaps you should try them sometime... correct usage will do wonders for your social life.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Simpsons

Post by ghouldrool »

dont forget the near tenner extra you will have to pay in duty and taxes on that btw.

Simpsons is now the second best film of the summer. The gag rate is quick fire even though the story forgets little details from the TV show-well only once really in that Krusty the Klown is meant to be a massive celeb so he cant just disappear. and i dunno why its president Schwarzenegger when its basically Reiner Wolfcastle the simpsons own stand in for Arnie.

on top of these two slightly geeky nit picks the film only flags during the scene with Boob Lady the Inuit medicene woman. we saw something like this in the mega chilli episode. i didnt mind them reusing the Bart wishing he was Flanders son as its pay off is a great scene between one of Neds kids and Ned.

With so many characters to give screen time to some are obviously just backround characters but you feel like everyone has been included. Wisely the film centres on Homer as the TV show really picked up once they realised Homer was the most interesting Simpson.

Emotions are catered for too as Marge heartbreakingly tapes over their wedding video. (geek alert 4-spot the most likely deliberate mistake concerning their marriage)

yes you do see Barts p.enis in a great set piece spoofing those scenes where objects cover nude bits in movies.

The laughs are a mix between light and full on Belly laugh. There isnt anything too clever clever but there are moments when it comes close:
"sir youve become mad with power"
"of course.. thered be no point going mad with NO power"

what a great weekend for the cinema. all ages and genders and persuasions seem catered for what with Transformers, Simpsons, Potter and Hairspray for good measure. Its kind of like a weekend when we can all come together and wallow in our inner child.

Love the Spider Pig even though he disappears (methinks the town prob scoffed him).

Its def' one for rewatching and doesnt outstay its welcome (depsite the sag with the trippy vision scene). Its one of those movies where u end up going "and you remember the bit where..." ...and those g'ay cops. haha
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Seen Heroes a good fiver cheaper than that with customs pre-paid...

Will be waiting till after Frightfest (spending monies!) then getting the HD-DVD version for just under £45 I think...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

This may just be me but you'd need to pay me at least £45 to get me to sit through the whole of HEROES again....
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

thesavageintruder wrote:This may just be me but you'd need to pay me at least £45 to get me to sit through the whole of HEROES again....
:( Crikey. That bad? I recorded the first two eps of BBC2 the other day but haven't yet got round to watching them. Primarily on the strength of the reaction on this very board. (I suspect I'm going to forget to watch them, then miss the next episode and record over half the tape again with something else, and give up. That's what usually happens.)
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Simpsons

Post by JasonMyers »

Simpsons Movie is fab. Seen it twice already.
Last edited by JasonMyers on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Sarah of the Dead »

Transformers was technically and visually amazing, but completely without any emotion, with a confused plot. I enjoyed it, but it was way, way too long, with too many unnecessary subplots. And no way could Shia LeBeouf's character have ever, EVER got with Megan Fox's character. She was way too kickass for him.
[size=75][url=http://sarahhatesyourmovie.blogspot.com]Sarah Hates Your Movie[/url][/size]