films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I went to see Daft Punk's Electroma on Saturday night - the dialogue-free journey of two robots on a quest to become human. (Or, two blokes wearing leather jackets and robot helmets walking around for an hour or so until ***SPOILERS*** one blows himself up and the other sets himself on fire - well, that's one way to split up the band I suppose...) It wasn't anything like Transformers! Yet strangely compelling viewing, with some beautiful images and amazingly no-one walked out...

This evening I finally saw The Simpsons Movie; pretty much what I expected, just a longer version of the TV series. Doesn't really deviate from that winning formula, but has no need too... I certainly laughed a lot but I wouldn't hurry to see it again.

Then saw The Hoax, the real life story of Clifford Irving's (fake) autobiography of Howard Hughes. The perfect antithesis to all the bloated Summer movies, it was so nice to watch an intelligent drama with an interesting story to tell. I'm no fan of Richard Gere but he is excellent in this and Alfred Molina gives good support as always. Definitely recommended if you want a change from all these sequels!!
First things first, stay calm.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

hostel 2 - we all had a good time with this - not a frightening film at all but nevertheless enjoyable on many levels - could see the twists coming a mile off but as some great moments

across the universe - the julie tamor beatlesathon, heavy handed, hard to get through, jaw-dropping in the extreme but the more you talk about it the more people want to see it! should be worn as a badge of honour ( i survived ATY - all 2+ hours of it! )
Last edited by Team Banzai on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Seen two planned and one unplanned films

The Hoax. Thought was a really interesting story and liked the 70's look. Did find that it lack pace. Richard Gere and Alfred Molina were both on form. Agree about it being a intelligent drama.

(Came out of one cinema and bumped into fellow FF Alex - thanks for the ticket below)

Then saw Across The Universe. A psychedelic Beatle theme musical flitting between the 50's and 70's. Some cameo appearances from Bono, Salma Hayek. A bit of bizarre of film with some surreal sequences. Paul it is not THAT bad!

Lastly Brief Encounter: What a gem of a film. Stiff upperlip romance and stirring piano. Seen this quite a few times on DVD. On the big screen it does look really good digitally.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

oh lupo ... you saw our expressions afterwards

and as for bono and the stupefying eddie izzard words...are failing me!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I know you looked dumbstruck! Still think it is watchable! Ha ha
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

It was bad, but not that bad. I kind of enjoyed some of it.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I saw the Across The Universe trailer yesterday and must admit I'm curious... I loved Julie Taymor's adaptation of Titus, it's fantastic, so had high hopes...
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Rush Hour 3.
if you have seen rush hour 1+2 then youve seen part 3. The funniest stuff is in the trailer! heck if youve seen the trailer youve seen the entire film. the plot twists are obvious from the first five minutes.
The character of the Cabbie is a serious misfire as i dont see what they are getting at in forcing an american hating french man in his own country to sing the American Anthem at gun point. and this is done by our hero!.

the brotherhood theme is rather flat and over cooked.

Carters presence in the story is exceptionally thin this time round and the Chinese centric storylines are starting to wear a bit thin. The almost inventive fight atop the Eifel Tower feels like a rejected scene from a never made third instalment Chans much superior Shangai series.

its not chuckle free of course and its breezy enough. its just weird when you think there was the same amount of time between RH2 and RH3 as there was between License to Kill and Goldeneye, yet the Bond gap felt alot longer.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Is it true that Roman Polanski find himself involved in some wacky "'backdoor' shenanigans" jokes during the picture?

I find this utterly jaw-dropping, given that, y'know....stuff.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

The funniest stuff is in the trailer!
Oh dear... that's worrying news considering that the Rush Hour 3 trailer is the unfunniest trailer I have seen all year.

Yet, I just know I'll end up seeing the film before the week is out... :oops:
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Polanskis ENTIRE cameo is in the trailer.

now ill admit i actually found the Yu, Me I am Me he is Yu stuff really funny in the trailer but then its reminiscent of Two Ronnies style wordplay.

also Ringu's Sanada as the chinese "brother" (spose its no different than getting an englishman to play a german in die hard) of Lee is wasted. Theres actually a really good moment at the end between Lee and Kenji so i guess they at least tried to inject a little more drama towards the end.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I know I am Legend got mentioned on a thread. Can't remember where but found a trailer for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7C5DWwDZeU

Does not exactly grab me, from the outset it does looks similar to 28 Days Later(Which I did enjoy apart from the ending) :?
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Got to see Weirdsville this week...

A very cool stoner comedy featuring satanic worshippers, security guard midgets and two great lead turns by Scott Speedman and Wes Bentley...

One to watch out for come November....
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Been looking forward to that one since I saw the trailer at MIP last year. Looks grand. It's an Allan Moyle picture, non? He of the quite nostalgically fun Empire Records("Say No More (Mon Amour)")
and the legitimately great Pump Up the Volume...
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
VictorCrowley
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by VictorCrowley »

I saw the trailer for RH3 today (when I finally caved and saw Transformers) and:
now ill admit i actually found the Yu, Me I am Me he is Yu stuff really funny in the trailer but then its reminiscent of Two Ronnies style wordplay.
thought this was just 'who's on first?' (Abbot and Costello) rehashed for the mtv generation!

As for Transformers... eh, it was LONG. Easily needed half an hour shaved off. I was perturbed to notice I found myself thinking the deceptacons were cooler than the autobots. Megatron in particular was impressive and I loved the way he landed as a bot from flying as a plane.