films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Okay, so I might have mistaken the plot for Eagle vs Shark earlier...

In fact it's a quirky, geeky NZ comedy. And despite the fact there was only about a dozen of us in the cinema, we made more laughter during the film than the entire packed crowd at Rush Hour 3 the other week. Simply put, this is the funniest film I have seen all year, and is one of the best films I have seen all year.

If you fancy a change from genre films after this weekend then go see it...
First things first, stay calm.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

black water

Post by Grindhouse »

Out of the two films i saw this evening,i found black water more enjoyable and quite tense with a few added shocks,its easy to dismiss this as another water movie,open water, adrift etc. but i felt it deliverd.

but theres something about australian films like this that evoke thoughts of nature fighting back,the lost weekend springs to mind and picnic at hanging rock as well.
i enjoyed it
Black sheep was good too with over the top fun of the worst possible kind
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

soulmining wrote:Okay, so I might have mistaken the plot for Eagle vs Shark earlier...

In fact it's a quirky, geeky NZ comedy. And despite the fact there was only about a dozen of us in the cinema, we made more laughter during the film than the entire packed crowd at Rush Hour 3 the other week. Simply put, this is the funniest film I have seen all year, and is one of the best films I have seen all year.

If you fancy a change from genre films after this weekend then go see it...
Saw the trailer for this and it looked like nothing more than a clone of Napoleon Dynamite. I'd like to think there was a bit more too it after all the hype its been getting...
Matt
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Matt »

Just got back from Knocked Up. Funny movie. Would have been better with a slight trim but overall better than I had thought it would be (I was a touch sceptical due to the massive amount of hype).
www.Myspace.com/Filthybastards - With a new blog about horror actors.

www.myspace.com/MattEdwards - Featuring a shiny new blog with some amazing facts.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

struggled through Death Tunnel.

please dont let my struggle be in vain, save yourselves and never watch this ridiculous, poorly structured, badly thought out movie that is even worse than Boo.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Coming down gently after FF so had a double bill of comedy tonight:

Superbad - is a lot less funny than it thinks it is. Teens buying alcohol, trying to get laid, goofy cops... hmmmm... replaces gross-out comedy with excessive swearing instead. I'm sure it will do well and a sequel will follow but it didn't excite me at all.

Knocked Up - from the same team as Superbad (pretty much) is thankfully much better. Again, doesn't tread any new ground but the comedy works and the characters are well developed and (largely) believable... and again I was pleased to see it avoided resorting to gross-out gags. A tad overlong, but otherwise recommended.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

man bites dog

the weigh't* of expectation must have been too much to bear, or it was the late night time i chose to watch it mixed with the FF comedown and annoyance of Death Tunnel but this was not great.

Ok it was ahead of its time in many ways but often it feels exactly like a prime example of why people dont really enjoy art house movies. The lead is really just a violent pretentious pub bore with his endless rantings.

the violence itself is shocking and in the early 90s must really have kicked up a fuss. the silent shot of the mutilated corpse of the r'ape victim is very disturbing. however after this scene the film descends into sleep inducing tedium.

the fact that there seemed to be a whole underground industry of killers like this was a good joke but should have been done with after they bump into another crew making a documentary about another killer.

a let down but probably required viewing nonetheless

*wow.. weigh't is a banned word?
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Now that feeling has return to my buttocks and needing something to get out my post FF downer went to see Knocked Up.

Actually laughed my socks off. Some sharp funny lines. A collection of characters who don't really won't grow up( kinda understand that). The 2 hours flew by. The main character who starts off as a slob but is very likeable by the end. A particular reference to a towel springs to mind. Ha ha! Very amusing.

One of the funniest non horror comedies I've seen in a while.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Class of 1984

i havent seen this film since the 1980s,and its showing its age but still its quite an effective film.
quite well done for its time and released on dvd uncut with a commentary.
the lead thug played by timothy van patten sits ill at ease with the rest of his group as he's just too clean cut compared to the rest of them.

watch it as an 80s curio it spawned a couple of sequels class of 1999 and a further one.
this sits on the shelf with all those other teenagers vs the teacher institution movies,like the principal with lou gosset jr and john belushi.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Like watching a car crash in slow mo....but a helluva lot funnier!!! Inspiration for The Monster Squad, nuff said.
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

ghouldrool wrote:man bites dog

the violence itself is shocking and in the early 90s must really have kicked up a fuss.
Maybe if more than five people had ever seen it, there would have been... but it never reached the mainstream.

The point of the film is to show the documentary crew becoming active participants in his activities... but that didn't really affect jonbly. Perhaps the fact that they were already pretty far gone (filming murders as they happened) was the problem.

Yeah, jonbly wasn't impressed by this one either.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just been to see a film totally devoid in blood, guts or any gore: Lady Chatterley

Beautifully shot with the changing seasons. Beautifully acted with the characters growing intimacy handled in a gentle and tender way.

Right where is that Hellraiser DVD......
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Myself and Mrs. For Dead saw Death Sentence this weekend as our first post-frightfest film. Enjoyable, and did everything I expected of it. Over the course of 90 minutes, Kevin Bacon pisses off and proceeds to kill a bunch of guys sporting terrible tribal tattoos, and in the process looks more and more like that thing from the end of Alien Resurrection. The last two of john goodman's three scenes didn't make much sense, so if anyone can explain it to me...feel free. There were a couple of moments where I felt a round of applause would have been given if it were shown to the frightfest crowd, I would have done so, but it would have seemed a bit odd seeing as there were only two other people in the cinema aside from us.
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JasonMyers »

Saw Death Sentence . Thought it was basically a polished, better made version of Death Wish - both based on novels by Brian Garfield. It's quite a moronic film. As a gorehound, I'll admit the violent action was a guilty pleasure, and there is some hilariously gory violence.

But it does absolutely nothing new. I really don't know how a movie like this got the greenlight. There's nothing we haven't seen a thousand times before. Worst of all, there are parts where it seemed like it was written by a committee of NRA and Republican Party members.

I don't know why actors of the calibre of Kevin Bacon, Kelly Preston and John Goodman were in this. I hope they got a good payday out of it.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I wasn't impressed by Death Sentence. Washed out blue/grey palette... meh! Sure, it was violent (18 cert, whoo!) but there were far too many stupid things going on that in the end just took me out of the film...

*SPOILERS!*SPOILERS!*SPOILERS*

Like the car rolling back along the car park... I'm sure it didn't have enough momentum to cannon through the barrier and off the edge of the roof. And how the hell did Kevin Bacon's character manage to drive back home having
been shot three times, while covering his neck wound?

Oh, and the last scene - remind you of Darth Vader in Jedi, anyone? :wink:

A much better choice this week is Hallam Foe. Another film about voyeurism but totally different to Disturbia... good performances and a cracking soundtrack from the Domino roster.