films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
chief brody
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chief brody »

london film fest,sat,treasures from the archives a clockwork orange, good to see this on the big sceen again. Also son of rambow: a home movie very good , the 2 young actors Bill Milner and Will Poulter are certainly 2 actors for the future. This played to a full house downstairs in the Odeon West End 2.
"YOU"RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT."
Davo
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Davo »

Just saw Juno, which is just...the sh*t, basically. A beautiful, funny and gently moving flick that starts off in typical Sundance Indie super-hip comic mode, complete with quotable wise-ass dialogue, it gently transforms into a film that totally engages and surprises you. Forget Knocked Up – this is the ‘unwanted pregnancy comedy’ of the year…! (poster quote ahoy?).

It has a killer soundtrack, there are some terrific character actors in supporting roles (Alison Janney, Jason Bateman) and the script is consistently funny, but Ellen Page as Juno MacGuff will just slay you. She is magnificent in the lead. It’s the kind of movie that makes you leave the theatre ten feet tall with a big smile on your face. Plus there are some references to Argento and HG Lewis that will amuse FrightFesters for sure. The most purely enjoyable film of LFF so far for me and there have been some corkers... D
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

I have a ticket to see Juno tomorrow night so looking forward to watching this!

On other LFF films seen I managed to catch:

EXTE - Hair Extensions - sorry Jonbly but I thought this was a disaster! There were a few amusing bits but apart from that the best bit was when it finally ended!!

Things we lost in the fire - really really good - Halle Berry and Benicio Del Toro on fine form.

Into the Wild - one of the best films this year - a must watch!

Rescue Dawn - well worth catching - but good rather than really good.
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

Got mobbed into a Juno free preview totally unaware of the films story or history....AWESOME! Will be dragging folks to see this on its release.
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i rented Cold Prey saturday night ,was good to see this again as i missed the 1st 25 mins or so,glad i was able to share a little bit of frightfest with others not so fortunate at home.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
monoculture
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by monoculture »

I just watched See Jane Run, a film that inspired me to get up half way through in search of biscuits..

Straight to video horror has always been pretty hit and miss, but lately all I seem to be finding are the misses :(

I also caught The Zombie Diaries the other week, and the best thing I can say about that one is that there's no way I can possibly be more dissapointed by a film during the rest of this year..

I'm gonna have to browse this thread for something that might actually be good to watch!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

monoculture wrote:I just watched See Jane Run, a film that inspired me to get up half way through in search of biscuits..

Straight to video horror has always been pretty hit and miss, but lately all I seem to be finding are the misses :(

I also caught The Zombie Diaries the other week, and the best thing I can say about that one is that there's no way I can possibly be more dissapointed by a film during the rest of this year..

I'm gonna have to browse this thread for something that might actually be good to watch!
i wouldnt recommend Adam Greens spiral!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

but on a lighter Halloween note i went to the local cinema near me that was showing Nosferatu and this was the first time i had seen the film,and i enjoyed this very much,it had a new soundtrack interpreted to the film and wasnt quite sure if it worked but still it was a Halloween treat to see.
the 2nd Halloween helping was the classic tales from the crypt with Ralph Richardson as the crypt keeper and Joan Collins and peter Cushing ,amongst others in separate tales all linked together,this really was a treat as it was an actual film not DVD on a projector,even with the original x certificate superb and looked great on a larger screen,and you just realise just how wonderful Peter Cushing was,if this is ever shown on a big screen near you go and see it,so that was my Halloween outing,i can catch saw 4 or 30 days of night anytime,but its better to support these things when you can!
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

One of my local cinemas showed the sublime 80s movie MOTEL HELL...and the auditorium was packed with folks of all different ages! The movie holds up real well - its smarter than it first appears and has loads of quote-worthy dialogue, not least "I'm the biggest hypocrite of all...i used preservatives!" tho u have to see the film to appreciate why that is funny.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Grindhouse wrote:
monoculture wrote:I just watched See Jane Run, a film that inspired me to get up half way through in search of biscuits..

i wouldnt recommend Adam Greens spiral!
I enjoyed Spiral... took a while to get into but it was worth it for the ending :D Doop Doop Doop
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Since Cronenberg stopped making gloopy horror-ish movies and moved over into intense psychological dramas, I've not been anywhere near as much of a fan. Most of his movies are beautifully crafted, but his more recent ones have been tough to get through (Spider in particular). Eastern Promises is probably his best since he gave up the gloop; I liked it a lot more than A History Of Violence, which was still too dour for my taste and only livened up when William Hurt showed up. Pretty brutal in places, but the cast is generally great (I've always liked Naomi Watts), and it's a fascinating look at a largely unknown sector of society.

I half-liked Rendition as well, though it's a bit obvious in its examination of whether torturing suspects can yield much in the way of useful intelligence. I've always been of the view that it can't - plug me into the national grid and I'll confess to everything from the Brinks-Mat bullion robbery to the crimes of Jack the Ripper - and this tale of the CIA torturing a totally blameless Muslim in (non-existent) connection with a suicide bombing in North Africa is too black-and-white.

It was good to see quite a good house for the reissued Hammer version of Dracula last night. Having only ever seen this movie on TV quite a few years ago, I'd forgotten a lot of it. It's still terrific. Peter Cushing IS Van Helsing and Christopher Lee IS Dracula; accept no substitutes. If anything, the music's a touch overbearing and Michael Gough is pretty hammy, but that's by today's standards. And digital projection has reached the point where you really can't tell it's not 35mm.

On DVD: the spookiest film I've seen in ages: Fragile. A Spanish film, though in English, it's a ghost story starring Calista Flockhart and set in a childrens' hospital on the Isle of Wight; it actually had me looking away at several points. Well worth the rental.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Haven't seen Fragile, but the director (Jaume Balguero) is one half of the directorial team behind the amazing [Rec]...

Saw IV then - horror's most cynical production line. Oh, it's Halloween, get another sequel out there quick!! It amazes me the lengths the writers go to in order to come up with some new twists, but frankly the plot just ties itself up in riddles... I really couldn't be bothered to try and figure out what was going on, what with all the flashbacks and different story threads going on. And is it just me or is the whole trap thing just getting a bit, dare I say it, boring? As for the editing... it's as bad as ever, making it nigh on unwatchable. I should have taken ghouldrool's advice...

30 Days Of Night - for all its narrative flaws (and there are many, if you stop to think too long) I loved it. Atmospheric, tense, and with several jump-out-of-your-seat moments. The vampires are really well done (although Danny Huston looks suspiciously like Neil Tennant), they move lightning quick, have their own language and howl terrifyingly loud! Whatsmore, there's no laborious exposition or back story - the vampires are just here, deal with it! For a 15 certificate it is so harsh I can only think that the person at the BBFC fell asleep half way through and just let it go... One of my favourite horror films of the year.
First things first, stay calm.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

soul mining wrote: 30 Days Of Night - for all its narrative flaws (and there are many, if you stop to think too long) I loved it. Atmospheric, tense, and with several jump-out-of-your-seat moments. The vampires are really well done (although Danny Huston looks suspiciously like Neil Tennant), they move lightning quick, have their own language and howl terrifyingly loud! Whatsmore, there's no laborious exposition or back story - the vampires are just here, deal with it! For a 15 certificate it is so harsh I can only think that the person at the BBFC fell asleep half way through and just let it go... One of my favourite horror films of the year.
Mmmm still in two minds about seeing Saw 4 tomorrow....... :?

I've just come back from seeing 30 Days of Night. Ha Ha like the comment about Neil Tennant. Wondered where Chris Lowe wondered off to ?

Rather enjoyed this one. Agree with the comparisons with The Thing which has been mentioned in other posts. Also like the fact as above mentioned there is no back story with the vampires. There were at least one or two rather good not off screen deaths. Also the synth music in some instances helped build the tension. Did not jump out my seat as much for this film. Liked the growing feeling of isolation,desparation and the biting cold. My only growing gripe will be the mystery figure dash across the screen to cascade of music.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
hacknslash
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by hacknslash »

finally watched death proof today. i enjoyed it, watched resident evil 2 on tv last night and die hard 4.0 the other day, nice bit of mindless action. and darkness falls on tv about an evil tooth fairy haunting a small american town.
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

streetrw wrote:Michael Gough is pretty hammy
Hehe, that was one of the highlights. Ghouldrool and I were pissing ourselves!

Best bit though is the end when Van Helsing sees Dracula and starts chasing him and Dracula runs away cos he's cacking his pants!
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.