films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Team Banzai wrote:i am legend

semi spoilers (very mild)

cgi "the mummy" style vampires are not frightening! they spent a lot on this one but the script (what there is of it dialogue wise) is terrible, with a particularly cringe worthy speech about 3/4 of the way in.

if you want more indigestion on boxing day (it opens on the 26th) go and see this.
I Can't understand how you can take such a good piece of literature and screw it up on screen.... the majority of that stories narration is in the bloody book!!! :lol:

I'm just waiting for someone to remake 'Flowers In The Attic' for theatrical release now the film was good but the book was harsher... :D
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

In terms of supposedly straight movies intended as intense drama, i cant remember laughing harder at any film more than FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC - so DIRE! Tho it did have DEADLY FRIEND robot cheerleader Kristy Swanson looking fine so....
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

How can you say it's dire... I mean come on the number of times Swanson goes "MOTHER!!" and Grandmother was scary... didn't like her... she be scary!!! Mind you I was like 12 when I watched it.

But it would be nice to see someone adapt it for the big screen... :)
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

It does have the immortal line "Eat the cookies, granma" so i guess deserves some kind of camp classic tag for that reason alone. And although it was made for a PG 13 rating and looked like a TV movie, FLOWERS 1986 was actually made for the big screen! Though, youre right, it would be fun to see the material being done properly
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

thesavageintruder wrote: It does have the immortal line "Eat the cookies, granma" so i guess deserves some kind of camp classic tag for that reason alone. And although it was made for a PG 13 rating and looked like a TV movie, FLOWERS 1986 was actually made for the big screen! Though, youre right, it would be fun to see the material being done properly
Really it made the cinemas? so it's original aspect ratio wasn't 4:3? Good lord... looks like it was recorded on VHS like American Gothic.

There's just so much story there to pull on... in the book I think the Grandmother put Tar in the eldest girls hair which meant she was forced to cut it...

So the PG-13 crowd pleasers were released even back then... *spitz*
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Team Banzai wrote:BR is currently screening at the renoir and the ritzy in brixton.

going to see i am a leg end later today...hmmm...
cool thanks for that now i have the dilemma of going to see bladerunner or beowulf while im in town, :( oh the decision
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

BR or beowulf - but ONLY at the imax
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Yep FLOWERS was made for cinemas, though shot in soft-focus by the director of Sun Life ads by the looks of it. Even back hard-edged stories and movies were softened for the sake of the family audience, with the incest angle very played down though Louise Fletcher's Nurse Ratchet variation makes up for it. They gave the movie away with The Sun a while back when they did an Anchor Bay promotion DVD thingy.
chief brody
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chief brody »

IF you get the time go see BR-THE FINAL CUT at the curzon mayfair.
This is best i have seen it. GO to the curzon now. You must see it on the big sceen. Masterpiece.
"YOU"RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT."
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

More idiotic British smut - Zeta One is horrible. A cheerless combination of really duff Bond demi-semi-spoof and bums-and-boobs prono, it tells of vaguely villainous James Robertson Justice's quest to locate a possibly alien cult known as Angvia (anagram ahoy), which consists solely of nearly naked women. British agent James Word and his false moustache are supposedly on the case but instead they choose to spend the bulk of the running time in bed with Yutte Stensgaard. Can't blame them, but it's not conducive to a halfway decent movie.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Great news it is still showing! Planning to see it next week! :D

Had a double film day:

Firstly saw the overlong title Jesse James( Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck. A engrossing film with a very interesting story to tell. With stunning shots of landscape. Felt it was very much a Casey Affleck vehicle. Whom I thought was excellent. The soundtrack scored by Nick Cave. The sparingly used music only increases the foreboding. Also Ridley and Tony Scott credited as producers!

Then for some dumb fun. Hitman. Agree about the comments about the clunky dialogue. Still some good shoot'em ups sequences. Rather liked the idea he was Bondesque type character. Certainly wasn't boring and nicely placed. Did find the italics of place names amusing, which kept up coming up in what seems to be every two scenes. For gold fished minded audiences!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

lupogirl wrote: Did find the italics of place names amusing, which kept up coming up in what seems to be every two scenes. For gold fished minded audiences!
"Yeah, where is he now?"

I thought from the trailers the fella didn't look nearly menacing enough... :D

I have a movie called 'Bug' on the way, supposedly superb movie by the fella that made the Exorcist
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

just got back from the cast and crew screening of frightfest promo favourite the cottage. very pleased and relieved to report that it skillfully manages to pull off that most difficult of genres the horror/comedy.

the performances especially by andy serkis and reece shearsmith are spot on. oh and doug bradley briefly pops up too, jennifer ellison is suitably busty and foul mouthed as the kidnap victim.

what i liked was that after the comedic elements and character set ups it takes the horror and splatter stuff pretty seriously - which is a refreshing relief - and none of yer cgi stuff here - back to basics make up effects.

a very refreshing change after a week of film disappointments.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I finally caught up last night with what is probably my favourite John Woo movie. Not the one where Dolph Lundgren is afraid of milk, but Bullet In the Head, a stunning Vietnam War epic which finds the bonds between three "lifelong friends" tested by greed, and by extraordinary bursts of extreme violence, when they flee from 1967 Hong Kong after a murder, and head for Saigon for some easy money. Bad, bad idea....As with a lot of Woo movies (and with a lot of Heroic Bloodshed movies in general) the tone switches from extended sequences of mindless slaughter to almost-hilarious sentimentality. In the end, though, the huge body count and the willingness of stuntmen to hurt themselves in the name of Art win out over the emotional stuff. That's not to say the emotional stuff doesn't work; it's just not what you remember coming away from it.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

When I start a movie I always stay until the end (the only exception was Skinwalkers when I was falling asleep). I feel it's only right to give the movie a fair chance. But Murder Party arrived over a week ago from LoveFilm and looking at the first few minutes I really didn't think it was worth watching to the end. Rawshark persuaded me that it wasn't that bad....

Sorry, but it was. Mild-mannered nerd/loner picks up an open invitation to a "Murder Party" and shows up (wearing a suit of cardboard armour), only to be tied to a chair by a bunch of art students who discuss how they're going to kill him as part of their application for an arts grant (or it may be part of a protest against property development). They take lots of drugs, talk a lot of drivel, one of them sets his head on fire and they all start killing one another with fireaxes and chainsaws. There are a few very easy laughs at the idiocies of the modern art scene, but that's pretty much all Murder Party has going for it.

(On an almost obsessively trivial note, there seems to have been some British involvement in the prop design for Murder Party as, despite being set in New York, the three videos our "hero" rents at the start all have mocked-up horror covers bearing nice red BBFC 18 symbols, the old Vipco icon and that company's "Uncut Version" logo!)