films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Vampirella wrote:
sherbetbizarre wrote:
lupogirl wrote:Hoping to see this again at the IMAX!
Me too - but you have to book days in advance :shock:
But it's 100% worth it!! Saw it there last Sunday
Ooh yes going there in a few weeks time!!!!!!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

A couple of titles I caught in the last week or two...

Evil Dead Trap is a late '80s Japanese piece of nonsense which has the worst score I've ever heard: cheap synthpop jingles that sound like they came off an arcade game. The plot - TV reporters investigate the location of a snuff video and get violently killed for their trouble - would be interesting if it wasn't backed by the musical equivalent of an Atari "Game Over - Insert Coins" screen, and even the occasional bursts of eye-opening gory mayhem go for nothing. The last 20 minutes descend into total lunacy.

More Japanese dullness in The Manual, aka The Suicide Manual and as free of laughs and jollity as you'd expect. Depressed people are killing themselves with the apparent aid of a "How To Top Yourself" DVD only obtainable through an internet messageboard. Brief snippets of instruction and advice on hanging, pills and high buildings intersperse the plot, in which TV reporters investigate the rash of suicides. Strangely, there's a sequel.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

I'm a big fan of Evil Dead Trap, not got around to watching the sequel yet though.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

The US disc of Evil Dead Trap's commentary track is the stuff of early DVD legend...

From the incomparable Mondo Digital website's review of the disc:
Extras include the Japanese theatrical trailer (which has already graced more than a few gray market sell through collections but looks better here), some hilariously repetitious animated menu screens, and a commentary track with Ikeda and special effects maestro Shinichi Wakasa that can only be described as surreal. This one's up there with Driller Killer on the unintentional humour scale, featuring the most rigid and unconvincing "spontaneous" observations ever recorded. Both participants giggle and shatter their sentences into indecipherable fragments, with pronunciations that set back political correctness about forty years. Synapse even included a disclaimer inside the packaging that the commentary isn't up to their usual standards, but thank God they decided to include it anyway. This one's a real keeper; amaze your friends with the movie, then send them over the edge with the commentary.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

:D I think I might have to add that to my "must buy" list..
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Whisper
Sawyer from Lost and Sarah from Prison Break decide to help Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer kidnap une child.
Sadly for them it turns out to be a right little satanic shit.
This is an effective little movie that does quite well in getting you involved.
The idea of an omenesque child being the subject of a kidnapping is quite original and theres some interesting revelations behind the ordering of the kidnapping.
And for once it dispenses with the the cliched ending all Evil Kid movies have.

Con Express
The sight of Young Indiana Jones gunning down Jack Deth finishes off this dull actioner.
Arnold Vosloo is back to his train and virus buggery and has to be stopped again. This time theres no cheap van damme style monk to do the stopping so we must endure floppy haird sean patrick flannery as the hero. He is ably assisted tho by a fairly fit russian female agent.
Its boring with no where near enough Vosloo or Tim Thomerson.
Cheekily all the exterior train shots are stolen from Runaway Train.

in the eighties there was a lot of sci fi flying about. There was the good, the bad and the appaling. and then came Space Camp. I didnt like this as a kid and only liked it a little more as a supposed adult.
Kate Capshaw was a stunning woman and a very good tough girl and its a shame her career died.
The male lead thankfully sank off the radar, and lea thompson seems less pretty here then usual.
The film even has annoying kid and annoying robot combination! the kid being playe by Commodus himself.
Actually the robot was the most interesting person on the film.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

evil dead trap 2 has been for sale in computer exchange in Harrow for about half a year now. 4 quid. never picked it up cus I don't really want to buy a sequal before getting the 1st one. And I've been buying way too much stuff already lately, went through my dvd collection yesterday and found out I still have about a 100 movies to watch. About 20 are burned discs from downloaded obscure stuff though.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Scrof the Return
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Scrof the Return »

Melvin Junko wrote:evil dead trap 2 has been for sale in computer exchange in Harrow for about half a year now. 4 quid. never picked it up cus I don't really want to buy a sequal before getting the 1st one.
First Evil Dead Trap is a classic, really good stuff, but the sequel is a sequel in name only. Deadly dull. Avoid.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Deep Breath...

Vamp
Brilliant mid 80s horror. fantastic set up with two likeable leads. Great lighting bathes the night world in purple and green.
Wisely Grace Jones keeps quiet. Its like a horror take on After Hours in some ways, perfectly capturing the lost atmosphere inner cities posses when your trying to get home late at night.

The Burning
One of the very best and straight forward of the teen slasher movies.
Ably performed by every one all the cliches are here. But nothing feels cliched.
The gore is not as excessive as later savini efforts but still good. The raft scene still a standout.

Kung Fu Panda
Much better than expected. Some great animation and scenes here telling a fairly hokey story.
Fat Panda learns kung fu and defeats the baddest tiger ever, who is strangely british!
Humourous in a familiar way it doesnt outstay its welcome or suffocate in pop culture references.

The X Files: I Want to Believe
And i want to know why this needed to hit cinemas.
Its well known by now this eschews the complicated mythos of the tv series to go back to the quirky case of the week.
But its a long time before anything truly odd happens.
Mulder is as tired as possible while Scully really does seem to regret being back. Having them romantically involved is a mistake as it was always better to leave it as a brother sister thing.
Its too deliberatly paced and a bit too ponderous.
However i did like it over all, just needed it to be much more special.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emporer
Jet li plays a bastard based on the character he planned to assissinate in Hero.
Its a by the numbers sequal with a charmless maria bello replacing Rachel Weisz. Thing is Evie was changed too much in the second one already.
This is far better than the second one though. It isnt as good as the first half of Crystal Skull however. The yetis dont do enough and look stupid.
The son is boring and looks a tad too much like Dexter.
Its really a matinee, nothing more nothing less.
Plus it wastes Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

so its Saturday crap weather and i dont fancy working much today,so i would revisit a few 90s films on 90s laserdisc format,kicking off with Judge Dredd,back in 95 there wasnt so many comic book adaptations around,Batman had been before and it next installment was due,so we have judge dredd from brit director Danny Cannon, i was a fan of the young americans, his previous film,for all JDs faults i still like it,maybe its Armand Assante as Rico,the angel family,with Ewen Bremner before Trainspotting,or that hulking ABC warrior,the effects arent all bad,but its flawed rob scheider gets irritating,JDs tagline annoys and its like it runs out of budget at the end,still there are some sharp cuts,what does dread do to the clones as they start to sit up,he cocks his gun,then it jumps?looking back you can see how marvel stole the intro with comic book pages flicking by and how the ending is similar with other films with dredd or the punisher watching over the city from a far.
Still it does need a reboot with no humourous sidekicks unless its Max Normal,comeback 2000ad films we still want you.
next up ConAir this is as high concept as they come,a summer blockbusting movie from 97 and Nic Cage sporting a mullet that puts 70s footballers to shame,still lots of action and some of the best bad guy names in movies Cyrus the Virus John Malkovich owns this movie,and Steve Buscemi great actors in an ok movie.
finally to round my 90s laserdisc triple off a film im fond off,Casper its an overlooked gem from 1995 great fun but sentimental and really quite sad,lovely effects and the ghosts are fun,why this film never made it to HD is a shame instead titles like Toto live or other titles did instead.
still laserdiscs are so cheap,theres plenty of titles to catch up on.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emporer - pretty much agree with Ghouldrool on this, a very formulaic follow on movie which offers nothing new - for completists only.

Alien vs Predator 2: Requiem - finally caught up with this on DVD - not very good at all.
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

Watched the original '13 Ghosts' finally after I was given the DVD a couple of years ago.

Good fun, although it was a bit slow in places and it's probably sacrilege, but I preferred the remake...can't beat a bit of Matthew Lillard doing his mad character thing.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Cherry 2000
Very bizarre movie mixing much of the 80s sci fi genres. Post apoc landscapes, orwellian cities, robotised home and love lives.
No other film can boast a premise of a man looking for a replacement sex robot.
At times it feels like its aiming for Boy and His Dog quirkyness and it largely fails.
Melanie Griffiths was never really high on my babe-o-meter but shes pretty fine here. And she even puts in a tolerable performance.
The lead is another plank of wood.
The films overriding success is Tim Thomersons touchy feely villain. He really is the friendliest evil shit. His one standout moment of evil is pretty strong yet light hearted.
Imagine a Bond villain telling his henchmen to make sandwiches before they went after the heroes, or advising them to "Keep the sun out of your eyes, and be yourselves".

Meatball Machine
Wow. A spiritual successor to Body Hammer if ever i saw one.
Revolting little aliens latch onto humans and via never ending mental tentacles contort and enhance them into war machines.
Eye balls get drilled, arms become cannons, organs become ammunition.
And its all done with good old practical make ups and gooey puppets.
Its fantastic and despite the gore and ott machinations its a very dark and tragic love story.
See it.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

more Rob Cohen nonsense,this man knows how to make good looking popcorn cinema,Daylight anything disaster wise in movie land has me,i only have to catch a glimpse of one on tv and im hooked,take Earthquake it was on the other night,and that was it,held in trance like state till the end even though i have seen it hundreds of times i cant resist them,so onto Rob Cohens homage to the disaster genre, its all in this one,likeable characters,unlikable ones too,Viggo Mortensen as an adrenaline junkie,Dan Hedaya's bad stick on moustache and Sly Stallone,some good stunts and ok effects but hey it is 12 years old now,it was nominated for an oscar and won it for sound effects and editing,Rob Cohens movie nominated,they should have given it to him for
Dragonheart the best movie he's done,still i have the mummy 3 to see on Tuesday,but i know it wont be as good as that film.
i saw this on laserdisc,i shall pick it up on HDDVD :D

PS Sage Stallone is in this movie,hes one of the guys behind Grindhouse releasing or was,still i wonder if Sly has another son called Onion? :lol:
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

ghouldrool wrote:Deep Breath...
The X Files: I Want to Believe
And i want to know why this needed to hit cinemas.
Its well known by now this eschews the complicated mythos of the tv series to go back to the quirky case of the week.
But its a long time before anything truly odd happens.
Mulder is as tired as possible while Scully really does seem to regret being back. Having them romantically involved is a mistake as it was always better to leave it as a brother sister thing.
Its too deliberatly paced and a bit too ponderous.
However i did like it over all, just needed it to be much more special.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emporer
Jet li plays a bastard based on the character he planned to assissinate in Hero.
Its a by the numbers sequal with a charmless maria bello replacing Rachel Weisz. Thing is Evie was changed too much in the second one already.
This is far better than the second one though. It isnt as good as the first half of Crystal Skull however. The yetis dont do enough and look stupid.
The son is boring and looks a tad too much like Dexter.
Its really a matinee, nothing more nothing less.
Plus it wastes Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh.
The X-Files... Sooooooooo Disappointed waited so long for this and there was just no excitment or urgency throughout the story, It was like the bottom five % episodes from the entire series. They could have taken the time to bring back an enemy of the duo like Tooms or something... but they completely missed that.

That woulda had room for flashbacks and what not :( Most upsetting

THE MUMMY!!!! I really enjoyed this... well I did watch it directly after the X-Files sooooo anything is an improvement :) Although Weisz had been replaced there was a cheeky moment during the book reading to introduce Evie Again.

Random: Is it true that Scarlet is based on you? (About her books the Mummy and The Mummy Returns - Rather slick)

Evie: I Can Honestly say, it's a different person entirely

:D Still would have prefered Weisz though :(