films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by valido » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 pm

ghouldrool wrote:Trick or Treat
A heavy metal horror. Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne provide cameos but only Ozzy's was really memorable.
The lead is a uncharismatic lump and every one else just looks bland.
The lead villain could have been a lot better (should have been Alice Cooper imo) and his powers seem to be whatever the writer wants for whatever scene.
There is some fun to be had though once it finally gets going.
For me the highlight was Sammy pulling the old woman out of a TV show, burning her corpse and a kid having to vaccuum the remains!!!!
A classic :lol:

The lead villain was a professional dancer and I think it shows. But yeah, his powers were quite random, and so the way he gets defeated...
I still enjoy the soundtrack by Fastway though :D

Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:25 pm

Killer Klowns from outerspace,when your young this is one of those titles that just appeals,but as im older and not so wiser,i rented it off Xbox live,its not a bad film,but its not very funny or maybe im older now,still its cleverly done and is the makers only film,i used to have this on vhs as im sure it was an EIV video,i wonder if the makers did too much hallucinogenic drugs :D
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"

MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Sweet jesus, I just watched Inside, it has been a very long time since I've been unable to look at the screen during a horror film. And Martyrs is supposed to be more intense than this? How is that even possible?

streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:06 pm

They sent me Histoires Extraordinaires the other day, aka Spirits Of The Dead (which is the title printed the disc and box but it's Histoires Extraordinaires on the actual film itself). Essentially this is Three Evil Eyes, as an international trio of top directors adapt Edgar Allan Poe stories (and the final Italian one is totally bonkers), in which generally unsympathetic people go mad and seal their own fates.

Roger Vadim's "Metzengerstein" has a haughty duchess (Jane Fonda) in a succession of suspiciously anachronistic outfits and thigh boots, who falls in love with her cousin (Peter Fonda!). It does not end well. Louis Malle's "William Wilson" has scummy bastard Alain Delon haunted and hounded by his goody-goody doppelganger; Brigitte Bardot turns up in a black wig for some flagellation. Federico Fellini's "Toby Dammit" is the last tale, in which egotist actor Terence Stamp turns up in a Rome filled with eccentrics and nutters, ostensibly to star in a Western about Christ.

I'm not familiar with the written Poe or more than a couple of the films of each director; from the film guides it appears that the Fellini bit is the more highly regarded but for me it was the most annoying (maybe it's because it's relocated to the present whereas the Malle and Vadim are period pieces). But the Vadim has a weak ending while the Malle goes on too long. A mixed bad, really.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!

lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:02 pm

Had a triple mish mash film day yesterday:

First up You Don't Mess With Zohan. Not quite sure what to make of this. Amusing in parts, acts of desperation in others and cameos that leave you scratching you head. Some aspects of it was a tad too preachy and some scenes that fall flat with no sight of humour.

Next up. Star Wars: Clone Wars. Rather enjoyed this. Actually had a plot to follow, with a script that did not have solely Georg Lucas working on it. Not wooden! Action packed stuff.

The X Files: I Want to Believe. I stopped watching the X Files back in the mid 90's or so. When every episode involved a alien. I just lost interest.

This I found could be a standalone film. The story itself is not a carry on from the series. It does run out of steam towards the end. It seems a bit strange this film has come out. Is there a new series in the pipeline maybe ?
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"

dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:20 pm

ghouldrool wrote:Psycho Cop
When Maniac Cop 1+2 exist it would be better to watch those again than this.
It starts well though and you think hes going to be a cool cheesy villain, but the film moves at a snails pace and runs out of steam a third of the way in.
I would recommend you hunt out an uncut version of the sequel. Its a lot more fun, a lot cheesier and a lot pacier. The acting is atrocious, but its a wild film.

Don't buy it on dvd, the mpaa came down on it really hard and forced lots of terrible cuts on it, to which the makers responded by hacking chunks of it out and not even trying to make it work as a horror film. Presumably to create some sort of outcry to gauge the demand for an unrated version.*

It contains such cracking lines as

"You have the right to remain dead..."
"Why are these women not dressed?"
"They are dressed! They are just dressed scantily"
and
"(on finding a loose pair of ladies underwear) I am beginning to suspect foreplay..."
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.

ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:13 pm

i still fully intend to track down part 2.

Wind Chill
The music is good, the picture is good and theres a few good moments. Overall its really slow and dull though.
Emily Blunt is really rather nice and the first half is the most interesting aspect of the story with the stalker aspect.
Despite not liking it much it is still rather haunting.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"

Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:41 pm

MaxRenn wrote:Sweet jesus, I just watched Inside, it has been a very long time since I've been unable to look at the screen during a horror film. And Martyrs is supposed to be more intense than this? How is that even possible?
Lol I gave my friend a copy of this when I saw her at an Alanis Gig on monday... she watched it this afternoon and the email went along the lines of....

"I've never been so traumatised in my life.
I'm never getting pregnant...
I feel kinda sick now"

bl
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

freekdog

Post by bl » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:38 pm

just seen freekdog thought it was really good. blood gore and fit cast what more can u ask for

sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: freekdog

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:40 pm

bl wrote:just seen freekdog thought it was really good. blood gore and fit cast what more can u ask for
Quite a bit.

And you have not "just seen it" - it was shown days ago :roll:

hacknslash
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by hacknslash » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:04 pm

after the weekend frightfest i wanted to watch halloween (remake) but the other half doesn't like horror, so i settled for evolution. have to wait till she's out to watch anymore horror . :twisted:

Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Just saw 'Welcome to the Jungle' for the first time.... ummm.... is it meant to be good. To me, it felt like a really bad remake of Blair Witch.. but without the interesting witchy story....

MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:09 am

Rock'n'Rolla - went to a bizarre premiere in a cavernous nightclub with The Beat playing. It's horrible, like being sprayed with gallons of mockney slurry by a pressure hose. Convoluted and boring plot, thin characters, no sense of threat (this movie needs Vinnie Jones bad), and Ritchie has suddenly become squeamish about violence. Also Toby Kebbel plays the most annoying screen character since Jar Jar Binks.

I absolutely hated it, rent the much better In Bruge instead.

hacknslash
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by hacknslash » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:24 am

finally watched the halloween remake. it's not much different than the work print i borrowed off someone last year. a couple of extra scenes and a different ending. it's still lacking something, and the script in places feels like lines are missing, like the scene were dr loomis is talking to the sheriff in his office.

whilst watching bubba chili parlour i noticed a blurred poster for tripper in the background, watched this yesterday, excellent slasher in the woods film using bright colours and some good funny moments rather than the usual drabness :D .

Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 am

Thanks for the tip on The Tripper, tis added to my lovefilm list... looks decent, anything with Jason Mewes in it is for me!