films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

The Butcher
Blah. Just blah.
The usual set up: kids, van, backwoods, bothersome ugly killer and .... sorry.. lifes too short.

Welcome to the Jungle
Quite liked this actually. Would be a stretch to call it a proper cannibal movie though. Petulant and shallow youths get slaughtered trying to find some crusty old millionaire.
The sense of danger in Haiti even before they meet the tribals is quite well handled.
It just needed to be 50 mins at most though.

Showgirls
Well well well. I was not expecting that level of butt nakedness from the vacuous Elizabeth Berkley. To be fair her acting ability has improved since this, and she was actually s.exier in Roger Dodger (a film i cannot recommend enough btw).
Kind of a standard new-kid-on-the-block story (seen in many a mafia movie) thrown through a softcore blender with a heftly amount of Edam.
Surely it was intended to be this cringable. Its not really as bad as legend has it but its not especially good.

Dungeons and Dragons 2
Needing a Bruce Payne fix i popped this one on. Is marginally better then that abomination of a movie from 2000. Payne really is the only thing worth watching though, apart from the Zombie style Dragon at the end.
Looks exactly like the TV movie it is.
Oh this is a franchise thats just crying out for a reboot as long as it was just the TV cartoon made live action.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

A double creature feature for insomniacs :) kicking off with my bargain bucket find of Anchor bays double disc set of Alligator.hmmm nice :D
werent the 70s & 80s great for creature flicks,Alligator flushed down the pan and is back eating man,see how that rhymes,anyway havent seen this in donkeys years and its great to see it again,the monster gator eats everything and especially the corrupt bad guys,way to go gator,and its great to see Robert Forster in his heyday and Henry Silva resident B movie bad guy acting like he knows about hunting.
Alligator 2 all the bad guys end up as alligator poo,yes its the 80s and corruption is rife in the name of money, Steve Railsback is a B movie land mogul wannabe,corrupt and dealing in chemical waste disposal,and its all that 80s yuppie greed is good culture.
Richard Lynch is back as some southern boys hunting group leader with kane Hodder too,who gets eaten,and the bum from escape from new york is in this too,you know the one,he says nice boots chief nice boooots,talk about typecast.
anyway corruption doesnt pay not when theres an alligator around.
a great set for creature feature folks,must look for Crocodile & Komodo :)
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
hacknslash
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by hacknslash »

watched day of the dead remake. some bits i thought were stupid but overall a good beer and pizza zombie movie, or in my case a good breakfast zombie movie. also watched v for vendetta, and rec with breakfast this morning. rec was awesome, i actually jumped in places.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

"your my dog now" says a snarling Bob Hoskins in Unleashed,i have yet to see a film where bob isnt snarling,and Jet Li kicks ass in this flick,pretty good choreography though not the best,still its entertaining nonsense from the director of the incredible hulk,good score as well by Massive Attack.
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

Grindhouse wrote:A double creature feature for insomniacs :) kicking off with my bargain bucket find of Anchor bays double disc set of Alligator.hmmm nice :D
werent the 70s & 80s great for creature flicks,Alligator flushed down the pan and is back eating man,see how that rhymes,anyway havent seen this in donkeys years and its great to see it again,the monster gator eats everything and especially the corrupt bad guys,way to go gator,and its great to see Robert Forster in his heyday and Henry Silva resident B movie bad guy acting like he knows about hunting.
Alligator 2 all the bad guys end up as alligator poo,yes its the 80s and corruption is rife in the name of money, Steve Railsback is a B movie land mogul wannabe,corrupt and dealing in chemical waste disposal,and its all that 80s yuppie greed is good culture.
Richard Lynch is back as some southern boys hunting group leader with kane Hodder too,who gets eaten,and the bum from escape from new york is in this too,you know the one,he says nice boots chief nice boooots,talk about typecast.
anyway corruption doesnt pay not when theres an alligator around.
a great set for creature feature folks,must look for Crocodile & Komodo :)
Alligator rocked !! I'd forgotten that was Henry Silva in it.
And the mention of Richard Lynch in part 2 made me think, there used to be so many better 'baddies' in the 70's and 80's don't you think?
Guys like that really got audiences hissing and booing.
Compare them to the likes of Timothy Olyphant's soft-ass cyber terrorist in Die Hard 4.0 (nothing personal, I love him in Deadwood). Back in the day, you just never knew what those evil b%*tartds would do next ... even our own Sheila Keith would've kicked his butt !!
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

David Cronenberg's THE BROOD.

Oh my god!!! First time i had seen it. I bought the double usa/uk edition. How can they think to remake this?! This will be my first review for 'the bloody chamber' which will be coming soon.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

The Dark Knight Imax Experience Wasn't actually expecting that much from this but really enjoyed it at the IMAX. The switch between the pumped up DMR and the full IMAX scenes worked well but some of the full IMAX shots gave me vertigo!

Brain Damage Somehow missed this in the 80s but was inspired by seeing Bad Biology to seek it out. Pure Henenlotter madness and mayhem and of course lots of fun.

Hellboy 2 Really disappointing for me this one. Just washed over me in a blaze of nothing. Really loved all the characters in the first one but this whole film just felt characterless to me. Had trouble staying awake a few times.

Stuck (A friend had it, I didn't ask) Really not sure what I thought of this. It's nice and short and I did enjoy it, nicely gruesome in parts too. Other than that, a bit hmmm...

Vikaren (The Substitute) (See above) The one missing from Frightfest. Great fun and lovely comedy moments all very well acted. Slightly disappointing ending for me but all in all I enjoyed this one.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

The laughs never stop in Infection, a bog-standard Japanese cheapie set in a rundown, cash-strapped hospital filled with eccentrics. A bloke with some kind of green-slime condition is admitted, and infects the staff and fellow patients. To say it's not very good is frankly stating the obvious.

A bit better is Beyond Evil, a quickie from 1980 with the mighty John Saxon and Lynda Day George living in an island mansion, in which weird stuff happened 100 years ago and starts happening again. It's not scary, and the sole point of interest is actually Pino Donaggio's score.

There would hopefully have been more interesting movies during the week, but LoveFilm sent me Rosemary And Thyme Volume 3 by mistake. I'm as interested in Felicity Kendal as the next man, but I actually wanted to see Snowbeast. So I rummaged around in the boxes of Public Domain Rubbish and found Hands Of A Stranger, which dates from 1962 (and is thus even older than I am). This is the one in which the concert pianist loses his hands in a car accident and a mad surgeon replaces them with the hands of a murder victim. Again, it's not very good, which really came as a shock.
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

hacknslash wrote:rec was awesome, i actually jumped in places.
This.

Before FF, this was the first film I'd seen in ages that actually made me tense :)
I Simply cannot recommend Rec highly enough.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

curently watching KING KONG Jackson remake...

Jackson really is a shite director!
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

I LOVE the King Kong remake, but there you go! Talking of shite, however, brings me nicely to BANGKOK DANGEROUS, a reinforcement of the Hollywood career-destruction begun by the Pang Brothers with the rubbish THE MESSENGERS last year. This remake (yawn!) of their own native-language flick is a star vehicle with a slumming star, absolutely no style/invention/wit/character and an embarassing sappy sub-plot about how much Nic Cage fancies a deaf pharmacist half his age. Hard to believe an action flick with an exploding-man set piece could be so lifeless and drab-looking. Give it a miss folks.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

" Theres no school like the old school & im the f***ing headmaster" says Tom Wilkinson in Guy Ritchie's RocknRolla & i agree with him,time and reviews may not have been kind to guy and his brand of caper britflicks,but as a film that doesnt take itself seriously and says absolutely nothing about anything,this is as good as they come,Tom Wilkinson hams it up much to my amusement,comedic criminals,rock star drug addicts,missing money and a painting all converge on a nice & tidy ending clearing up those loose ends,Guy Ritchies style has not changed one bit since lockstock, not counting swept away or revolver in those.
camera in the face visuals,etc and why change a winning formula if it works and it brings money in.
In its favour its got a great soundtrack modern and 80s hits including waiting on a train by flash & the pan & Wang Chung :D
so go on be a RocknRolla i am
:wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cg0JxyZT9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF0otWk2c04
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Last night was large pizza plus the Blu-Ray double bill of Rambo and Postal... fantastic fun :D

Mildly shocked by just how much blood was CGI in the former (it really stood out on BD) and disappointed that the latter despite being unrated was still cut compared to the FF version - though most of the excised footage showed over the end credits, bizarrely (except for the initial, er, nasty eating reference still being gone, though because it's just the first bit of her crying that is lost, for the rest of the scene it looks like she has chocolate smeared on her face so loses one of the biggest "EWWWW!" moments of the film where she goes and tastes it again)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Hello Doris! wrote:curently watching KING KONG Jackson remake...

Jackson really is a shite director!
Peter Jacksons Kong may well be a little long on running time and takes its time getting to skull island,where the film,kicks off,and it does appear to be a film of 1/3rds,but its his labour of love,and with all the oscars and kudos under his belt,PJ cant really do any wrong,just ask any tolkien fans,but when you consider where he came from and what films he made before Kong from the humble,Bad Taste,Meet the Feebles and the awesome Brain Dead, to the LOTR trilogy.
thats an accomplishment of magnitude,still a little less before the voyage to skull island would have been nice,thats my only niggle with KK :)
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Grindhouse wrote:" Theres no school like the old school & im the f***ing headmaster" says Tom Wilkinson in Guy Ritchie's RocknRolla & i agree with him,time and reviews may not have been kind to guy and his brand of caper britflicks,but as a film that doesnt take itself seriously and says absolutely nothing about anything,this is as good as they come,Tom Wilkinson hams it up much to my amusement,comedic criminals,rock star drug addicts,missing money and a painting all converge on a nice & tidy ending clearing up those loose ends,Guy Ritchies style has not changed one bit since lockstock, not counting swept away or revolver in those.
camera in the face visuals,etc and why change a winning formula if it works and it brings money in.
In its favour its got a great soundtrack modern and 80s hits including waiting on a train by flash & the pan & Wang Chung :D
so go on be a RocknRolla i am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cg0JxyZT9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF0otWk2c04
Just thought i would add a bit more to my comments,on R&R,Guy says he wanted to make a movie of how London has changed,but looking back on his previous films and this one you wouldnt notice the differences,londons still London,shady criminal types still operate regardless,but thats beside the point its still entertaining fun,Mark Kermode ranted about how bad this film is,even slating the choice of music used,which his rant review did seem a bit harsh to me,as the soundtrack sounded great,i went in there expecting a fun crime caper and thats exactly what you get,money paid, entertainment sorted, job done off you go,and how often do you get a film thats just a lot of fun like that?