films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Reanimator wrote:Just watched 'The King of Kong - a fistful of quarters' - what an excellent documentary - this is well worth checking out.

I also saw Tropic Thunder - the film is pretty good but is a must view just for the Tom Cruise scenes!
King Of Kong annoyed me a lot, mainly because it is all lies. It is edited to make the story exciting for the viewer but leaves the reality of the events at the door.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Team Banzai wrote:haven't seen KING OF KONG.. must check out..

i watched the new INDIANA JONES and HELLBOY films - review now up on the hd blog.

also saw NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD.. an amazing, jaw-dropping documentary on ozsploitation films - unmissable entertainment that you will need to take a notepad along to see to write down all the titles of the incredible films that you didn't know existed.

watch out for some kind of frightfest screening of this at some stage.
After reading your reviews, i wonder whos buying the new indy movie,i reckon folks who grew up on raiders and temple of doom,wont give this a look in.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

The Baader Meinhof Complex

Very interesting - and long - look at Germany's Red Army Faction terrorist group in the 1970's. Not a classic, but has some great set-pieces, and appears to be mostly factual.

Quarantine

I liked [REC] but wasn't a really massive fan of it. For me, this was just as good - but with less scares and more of the squishy stuff. Jennifer (Emily Rose, Dexter's sister) Carpenter and matey out of Hostel are the stars.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Twilight

Post by iomega »

I was at the first UK screening of Twilight today and while the film is no master piece, and I'm sure the critics will dismiss it as lightweight pop corn fodder, I have to say I enjoyed the film very much and I was impressed. There was no mention of vampires for the first hour, and even though there wasn't a drop of blood spillt in the whole film, it has a UK 12A certificate, I liked the film big time.

The first hour is almost a straight forward teen romance, despite the fact she falls for the strange guy in the corner, but the second hour is very good and fun, plus it had a few new twists for me. Spoiler alert "vegetarian vampires". I liked the film and recommend it.

The film opens in the UK the week before Christmas.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Yeah - NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD is amazing!! I hope its going to be screenes at one of the FF events, I'd love to see it again! And this time I'll remember to bring a notepad - I must have gone "Ooh I wanna see that!" at least 20 times during the doc :D
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Unearthed - Disappointing creature feature set in New Mexico. Annoyingly it's shot mostly in complete darkness and the CGI alien runs a bit funny thus negating any "scares". And guess what? On two separate occasions the human protagonists find a getaway vehicle only for it to run out of petrol halfway down the road. Now that's either a) Dead unlucky or b) Really lazy writing.

Speed Racer - Clearly aimed at those who like an enigmatic blend of cartoony action with Financial Timesy big business exposition. Perhaps the fact that this is a fairly small subsection of the populous helps to explain it's box office performance.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Poltergeistjust looks and sounds stunning on bluray though its an 18 why is it an 18 cert?
anyway its a classic to revisit and the only downside is there is no real extras regarding the film.
Chrysalis more french sci-fi and very stylishly done too, though at 90 minutes feels like it either ran out of steam or budget,but if you want to see some cracking fight choreography this is one to watch,and a pretty good concept for a film it is too i would like to see a sequel to this with a more expanded storyline.
The LOTR The fellowship of the ring extended cut,its the 1st time i have seen this since owning a decent home cinema set up,and it sounds cracking,and looks good too going through an upscaling player,this is probably my fave film of the trilogy,and i just wonder how long it will,be before we see its arrival onto bluray,maybe after The Lovely Bones is completed and in the cinemas? as i cant imagine peter jackson not overseeing it onto bluray,fabulous film.
Vampirella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Vampirella »

Twilight

I really enjoyed it, I can see why American Teens have gone crazy for it and have been rioting at the Hot Topic signings. I loved the baseball scene…And we got copies of the book free *Score*
I’m glad I’ve seen this now and won’t have to fight my way through screaming teens next month to get a ticket… And I’m sure there will be more squealing at the screen during opening weekend
I would rather be hated every damn day of my life for being real than loved for being something I'm not...
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Grindhouse wrote:Poltergeistjust looks and sounds stunning on bluray though its an 18 why is it an 18 cert?
anyway its a classic to revisit and the only downside is there is no real extras regarding the film.
Grindy, did you not get the US Release of Poltergeist? It comes in one of them wicked book thingy majigs.... with facts about teh movie, Bio's and what not :)
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

Grindhouse wrote:Poltergeistjust looks and sounds stunning on bluray though its an 18 why is it an 18 cert?
Erm, it's a 15 isn't it?
The only uk bluray I can find is a 15 - Have you got some superduper unrated print? :D
"I see the bad moon arising.."
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

orlovsky wrote:
Erm, it's a 15 isn't it?
The only uk bluray I can find is a 15 - Have you got some superduper unrated print? :D
Can't remember if it was this booray but I remember a title slipping out with the wrong cert on it... coulda been poltergeist.... :D
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

Satans Puppy wrote:
orlovsky wrote:
Erm, it's a 15 isn't it?
Can't remember if it was this booray but I remember a title slipping out with the wrong cert on it... coulda been poltergeist.... :D
That could be it - I can't really remember anything in the film that would push it up to a 18. Apart from that bloody clown doll, of course :)
"I see the bad moon arising.."
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

orlovsky wrote:
Erm, it's a 15 isn't it?
it was the uk bluray which came off my rental list :D
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

following on from the fellowship,upwards and onwards with The Two Towers,its a film in the middle but immense fun none the less,with some great action sequences.
In the name of the king,the stathmeister cant save this one,even though its looks great,but the action and story has no substance,the choice of actors leaves you wondering why?
Burt Reynolds,Matthew Lillard, Ray Liotta,still looks like they all had fun and got paid loads.
and a throwback 70s curio for the curious,when you mix soft pawn and and genre films of an italian nature,where can it lead?
anywhere so we have joe damato's Emanuelle and the last cannibals,which would be hilarious if it wasnt for the grotesque gore and quite rude nature of the film,but its a film of the 70s and dated as it can be,a terrible movie of exploitation made when everyone was getting down to the disco funk,and the soundtrack races along like its a disco,but laura gemser,knows how to handle a weapon and pops off a few scuzzy cannibals while making their escape,jeez i wonder what cinemas showed this type of movie? ah yes the grindhouse fleapits of old.
many thanks to notts pete for sending me this classic,The Last Boy Scout,great action,witty dialogue with some of the best oneliners in a buddy movie and it has that rundown downbeat feel of pessimism running through it and a young Danielle Harris after the Halloween flicks & just happens to be one of my fave bruce willis movies
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

dangerous_jamie wrote:
Reanimator wrote:Just watched 'The King of Kong - a fistful of quarters' - what an excellent documentary - this is well worth checking out.

I also saw Tropic Thunder - the film is pretty good but is a must view just for the Tom Cruise scenes!
King Of Kong annoyed me a lot, mainly because it is all lies. It is edited to make the story exciting for the viewer but leaves the reality of the events at the door.
True - some of the real 'facts' may have been glossed over, but it still makes for terrific entertainment. My friend Jay Slater interviewed all concerned for his article in Retrogamer, and the film is not that far from the truth. Besides, you can't deny Billy Mitchell actually does say what he says in the footage...

And the film is also in Empire's Top 5 films of 2008 as published in their Xmas magazine this week!! Go Weibe!!

Last two films seen; Killerfish and The Shark Hunter as part of last night's Fishy Treasure Night at Zombie Club...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?