films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
hairyback
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

assulat on precinct 13

Post by hairyback »

if you want a good remake of assulat on precinct 13 check out a french film from 2002 called The Nest (nid de guepes)
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

LOVED that film ... great call!!
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Most recent Lovefilm rents:

Otis - pretty fun

The House With the Laughing Windows - a 70's Italian horror with the usual slow plotting, but no gore or nakedness. So a bit of a pointless project really;) Nice scenery though. Apparently a classic although you have to wait an hour and a half for a the twist at the end, which is well done.

Bloodbath at the House of Death - unfunny in the extreme. Even Pamela Stevenson's norks aren't worth watching this film for.

Obviously my other recent rentals weren't up to much as I can't remeber any of them.

Next: Confessions of a Dangerious Mind
hairyback
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by hairyback »

just seen TURKEY SHOOT from 1982. it was oz video crappy and was great fun , very silly and best during a 6 packet
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

still have not seen QOS,The day my mind went numb,Body of lies or Twilight,but will catch up with those soon.
but i have seen Prison from Charles Bands Empire stable of movies and Renny Harlins 2nd film not thats anything to shout about but,Prisons on a shiny disc from optimum and a fine horror Prison b,movie it is too and with a very young looking Viggo Mortensen,chelsea field and lane smith as the warden,classic b movie fun.
and on to bluray TDK,yes its arrived onto that super format,it sounds great looks superb the imax shots look great and the non imax stuff too,even on a small screen, i love the score, the film and Heath Ledgers joker which steals everything from the other actors, though i do think there was a stronger cut,which was pared down to the theatrical cut we have now.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Female Agents - 5 fairly foxy french women help the war effort (WW2) as they seek to kill a German colonel - this movie had the same sort of feel as 'Black Book' and is just as good. A great little movie - well worth checking out!
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Reanimator wrote:Female Agents - 5 fairly foxy french women help the war effort (WW2) as they seek to kill a German colonel - this movie had the same sort of feel as 'Black Book' and is just as good. A great little movie - well worth checking out!
Ooh, I've been meaning to see Female Agents for a while now - since I saw the ads on tv.. must get round to it, sounds fab! Another film to fit in round New Year :D
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

not much on tv worth a look on xmas day,so to shake up the xmas cheer santa left Death Race on blu ray, :D its rockin good fun just right to keep you awake after a big meal,and for desserts Hellboy 2 also on blu ray looks and sounds fabulous.
didnt get round to mum and dad last night,but thats on the menu for tonight
:wink:
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw two films in the lead up to Christmas,

First up Twilight. Very enjoyable. Has elements of Buffy/Angel. A cast of unknowns, which gives you no preconceived ideas which characters are the goodies or baddies.

A really simple vampire story with a difference. With some interesting characters which sets up them up for a sequel. Some stunning shots of people in tops of trees. The time just flew by and I wanted to see more when the closing credits rolled up!

The The Day The Earth Stood Still. Keanu is ideal playing a cold, wooden character. Rather liked the spheres in the film. Did not feel the threat was worldwide more like only in America. Only towards the end you get to see London( Red Bus) and Paris(Eiffel Tower). Spot the Country!

The boy in the film was soooo obnoxious. I was so hoping he would get zapped.

Did find the film at plodding speed and then staying at that speed throughout. Was hoping for something more grim.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Who else had to suffer Mamma Mia on Christmas day?

Jesus Christ... :evil:
Payne
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Payne »

Not me, I treated myself to a break from the family post lunch and watched Resident Evil Degeneration, not bad, but it seemed like a movie made up of cutscenes from a computer game.

I should be watching JCVD in the next couple of days
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Day of the Dead (remake) - Not really a remake at all as it bears virtually no resemblance to the original either in plot or quality. Not only do the zombies now run, but they can crawl upside down on ceilings and leap 20 feet into the air ! (unless, that is, an important character is struggling through a narrow window in which case they can't even jump 1 foot off the ground to grab their ankles). I can only assume Ving Rhames had some sort of contract tie-in after Dawn that forced him to appear in this. Director Steve Miner did a couple of Jason films but they're like Citizen Kane compared to this. AVOID !
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

sherbetbizarre wrote:Who else had to suffer Mamma Mia on Christmas day?

Jesus Christ... :evil:
I kinda liked it..... *abbas up and prepares for another medley*

RE:Degeneration... I was kinda miffed with the animation especially since we've seen what square can do with Final Fantasy VII feature film CGI :)
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Some recent viewings:

Donkey Punch - much better than some of the reviews suggest - good entertainment even if it gets a little formulaic towards the end.

Rogue - pretty decent as well, I would say on a par with Black Water.

Transsiberian - another very good and decent thriller from Brad Anderson which is well worth watching.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Australia - I realize I'm flying in the face of prevailing wisdom here, but I really enjoyed it. Critics complaining that the plots predictable and the characters are thin seems to be missing the point a bit. Baz Lurhmann approaches making a big classic Hollywood style epic the same way he did a musical in Moulin Rouge. If you liked his previous films give it a go. If you didn't, you'll likely hate it.

Gomorra - makes my year's best list. Never seen a gangster film quite like it. Make no mistake though, it's no fun at all and lacks any of the comforting familiarity of the crime genre. Bleak as hell.