films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

often feel like a peasent having to wait for the wider releases :cry:

The Spirit is shit. One could reel off academic discourses filling volumes and volumes destined to be part of the canon of critical writings on just how shit this is.
The only pieces worth anything are with Samuel L Jackson who seems to be in just about anything now. Whether we will ever see a performance as good as he was in The Cavemans Valentine again im unsure.
I suspect it was all meant to be rather funny but the tone is just wavering. Heck even The Phantom was better than this! yes... the Phantom!

Bloodrayne escapes the shit moniker because Kristanna Loken is fit. Yes that really is the best thing that can be said. Shallow and vapid? yes but then so is this film shot seemingly using only first takes.
Madsen, Kingsley, zane, meatloaf - heck even michelle rodriguez must have needed the rent money!
Even Boll regular Sanderson looks pained.
But u do see one of Lokens boobies! and billy zane is rather comical for his several seconds!

Slumdog Millionare is very good but its promotion and critical ravings are an exercise in over rating.
The love story aspect is clunky and the outcome never in doubt, the lead performance was the weakest in my eyes. The best performances came from the child actors and the sleazy gameshow host - give him Tarrants job!
Danny Boyle and his ability to once again combine striking images with a fantastic soundtrack lifts this film far above how these things are usually made. I wonder if India will get a special edition with dance numbers ;)
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Just got back from Milton Keynes and My Bloody Valentine. The 1980 original was a traditional slasher pic with all the gore cut out by the American censors, but this new version does thankfully deliver on the blood and grue. Unusually, it also delivers on the nudity as well: there's a long sequence involving the sustained terrorisation of a naked woman that I suspect we wouldn't have had if it was in plain old 2D. And it's got Tom Atkins in it! The main problem for me is that the revelation of the killer's identity is actually a cheat. I'll say no more for the sake of spoilage.

The 3D more or less worked: certainly better than it did for Scar back in August, though there was some crossover. Whether that was the projection or not I couldn't say. Bottom line: overall I enjoyed it, and it's another pair of chunky glasses for the collection.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Yeah, MBV3D is dumb, but great fun - my Cineworld showed it with black borders all around, so it didn't quite fill up the screen, not sure if that was them being lazy, but at least it was in focus 8)
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Been back abit from you guessed it, MBV3D. The 3d was fun (well better than scar 3d anyway! :D )

The penultimate climax was a cop out. too :SPOILERISH ALERT-PSYCHO-ESQUE: for my liking. The opening was cool, but as it got on you just wished that the killer's identity would be something unexpected(unfortunately, if anyone reads FANGORIA here know it isn't tom atkins's character?!) and the kills would get more brutal.

but alas no.

It's a good start to the year, but not a great one.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

REPO: the genetic opera. Um, well...

It's definately got the credentials to be one of the midnight movies for the ages, but i can't give a straight opinion on this.

I can see why many people i know who have seen it like it, but i can definately see why mr Mcevoy DIDN'T like it?!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

But Mr Mcevoy liked Eden Log and I shall never let him forget that :D

I have Repo on order... :)

Well I went to Cineworld tonight with EVERY intention of seeing My Bloody Valentine unfortunately all three showings from 7 onwards were sold out!!! :( so the only film left was 'Yes Man'

Can I just say I normally hate Jim Carrey but I really found this one tickling all the right laughter receptors... :) really enjoyed it and there's a lot of faces in there you'll recognise... Midnight Meat Train man is back, everyone knows the face but not the name :)
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

not guilty m'lud!!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Satans Puppy wrote:But Mr Mcevoy liked Eden Log and I shall never let him forget that :D
Well, wasn't Eden Log the movie that everyone loved at Glasgow last year? Sorry, but you're all so stunningly wrong about it. It's an absolute stinker (if it were any more of a stinker it would be two stinkers) which doesn't make sense and takes a long time about it. And it hurts the eyes to watch. I'm going to have to stop taking Frightfesters' advice on these things if this is the kind of bilge that gets the FF seal of commendation....
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

in short.. no . most people hated it.

some did like it though - although none passionately.

file under coulda worked, shoulda worked, didn't work.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Team Banzai wrote:some did like it though - although none passionately.
Admit it Mr M, you paid 'em off :) It's alright though if you picked Splinter for the allnighter then I forgive ya :D
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

This week:

Friday the 13th 7 quite lame, not very impressed with the whole series to be honest, same shit different actors.

Friday the 13th 8 Jason takes Manhattan, but first he screws around on a boat for an hour. Was getting bored pretty quick

Jason goes to hell made the other parts look like masterpieces, what a pile of crap. body swapping should be left to Horace Pinker. Ended up fast forwarding it to the murder and boobie parts.

One upon a time in China liked it, not as good as the Legend but Jet Li sure has some moves.

Centipede Horror This one made me laugh. Can't go wrong with 80's Hong Kong stuff. SOme cool magician battles and a woman puking up living centipedes. Hooray :) Didn't enjoy it as much as other CAT 3 stuff I've seen like Devil Fetus or Seeding of a ghost but still a good nasty little movie

Body melt Not too bad for 10 in the morning. Nothing special though.

Raping Steven Spielberg Funny short about a deluded actor who wants to hump his way to the top by raping steven spielberg. made me laugh quite a lot.

Goreinvasion Next time I hear the words 'low budget argentinian gore' I'll run away as fast as I can

Anabolizer Italian nonsence set in a gym. SOmething to do with steroids. Pretty crappy but saved by loads of t&a

Anthropopagous 2000 Typical Schnaas stuff, shitty movie with some good gore.

Dead or alive Takashi Miike is the master! Crazy ending!

Dead or alive 2 Good stuff again.

Dead or alive final What the hell was that ending all about haha. Gotta love the japanese for making wierd stuff like this.

Evil Ed some good laughs and gore to relax my brain after watching 3 japanese movies in a row.

Mama Mia Now I know what hell looks like. Not goona waste anymore words on this.

Hollywood Chainsaw hookers Love this film, one of the first B movies I've ever seen. Perfect remedy for sitting through that Merryl Streep shitfest.[
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Wow - that's some impressive week's viewing.. :D

Have had the luck this weekend of catching up on some BAFTA screeners (my brother's a member, so gets all the top films sent to him in December)..

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - a curious case from David Fincher.. Yes, it's very good, but a little too scmaltzy at times, mainly due to a Forrest Gump-like script (same writer). That said, it does engage throughout it's 2h 40min running time, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton and Brad Pitt are all great, and yes, there was a tear or two come the end... 4 Stars

Slumdog Millioniare - again, not quite the 'classic' everyone is praising it to be, but get over the first 30 mins or so, and go with it and it does reward with a great (signposted) ending.. 4 Stars

Quantam of Solace - Yes, I know I'm well behind on this one, and have only just caught up, but it's ok. Not as good as ££, but entertaining enough. Shame the script is a bit of a let-down, and I really yearn for the old days of action scenes that didn't contain an edit every 20th frame.. 3 Stars..

Tonight is Milk and Man on Wire...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

Have just sat and watched Die Welle or The Wave which is it's English title.

I wanted to catch this at the cinema when it was out last year but sadly I missed it. I'm so glad I managed to catch up with this.

I won't give anything away apart from the fact that it's German, it focuses on autocracy and even if you can see the ending coming from about 10 minutes in (like I did) it is still shocking.

Really really worth watching if you're in the mood for something rather serious.
Have you heard of my friends capital letter and comma?

No? Well perhaps you should try them sometime... correct usage will do wonders for your social life.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

streetrw wrote:
Satans Puppy wrote:But Mr Mcevoy liked Eden Log and I shall never let him forget that :D
Well, wasn't Eden Log the movie that everyone loved at Glasgow last year? Sorry, but you're all so stunningly wrong about it. It's an absolute stinker (if it were any more of a stinker it would be two stinkers) which doesn't make sense and takes a long time about it. And it hurts the eyes to watch. I'm going to have to stop taking Frightfesters' advice on these things if this is the kind of bilge that gets the FF seal of commendation....

Actually....no - I don't know where you're getting your FF seals of commendation from but the overall consensus was that Eden Log just was not very good at all. The only recommendation towarsa it was a group grumble which is no recommendation at all.
The only thing I have to say in its' favour is that it does make sense - but only when it's too late.
Perhaps there's a sect within here which recommends the wrong titles to everyone - perhaps it is a conspiracy, indeed.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Damn. For some reason the Facetiousness Alert didn't go off. :)