films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
chief brody
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chief brody »

Just got home from THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON preview screening at the BFI SOUTHBANK, five stars. Also met DAVID FINCHER and JASON FLEMYNG a great night had by all. DAVID FINCHER TOP MEN. 8)
"YOU"RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT."
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

For what its worth i rather enjoyed Eden Log with its survival horror game style structure.

My Bloody Valentine 3D
is great fun and unlike the highly regarded original it didnt nearly send me to sleep. Soap opera drama aside the pace was good and while some performances were weak (like slashers ever prided themselves on acting) there is Tom Atkins and the villain from Roadhouse onboard to balance that out.
The opening massacres are full on and the 3D works this time.

Bloodrayne 2
Is a cheapie follow up but is far superior in terms of acting and story. some pretty nasty scenes too but hampered by its obviously low budget.

Role Models
Yes the majority of the amusing moments are in the trailer as usual. However this was much better than i thought it would be. As formula as they get this is a harmless way to spend a saturday afternoon.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button on Saturday night - Amazing! Really got to me, this one.. (Which is always a good sign, in my books). Brad Pitt was just brilliant, as were Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton.. Two things that stood out for me, which made the film both beautiful and believable, were the makeup and the music..

Also saw Milk, really didn't think I would like this one.. but I loved it! :) Very touching story, nicely handled, with great performances from Sean Penn and James Franco. Good use of real footage from the riot scenes.. Definitely worth seeing!

Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

We watched Hills Have Eyes 2 - the remake one. No other words to describe it except shit.

Though the SFX were good, but thats as it was the guy who worked on the first film.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Saw The Wrestler at the weekend. It really is one of the best dramas I've seen in a long time. It may be a familiar story, but it's exceptionally well put together and the performances are outstanding. Obviously it's Mickey Rourke's film and he is completely convincing, but Marisa Tomei is terrific in a supporting role that on paper looks really corny (heart of gold stripper) but actually is an essential part of the film.

It's also a great comeback for Aaronofsky after the debacle of The Fountain. Here he completely drop the hyperkinetic editing style of Pi and Requiem for a Dream for a raw, stripped down shooting stlye reminiscent of seventies American Dramas. It reminded me a lot of John Houston's criminally obscure boxing drama Fat City.

There is was much manly sniffing going on in the screening I was at (not least from me). I loved it, and almost the whole audience sat through the credits for the fantastic Bruce Springsteen song that plays over them.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Watched 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' and it is a real triumph. A fantastic movie. A must watch for everyone when it comes out. The two and three quarter hour running time flies by.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

MBV2D - Yeah, rocked up to the nearest multiplex (Showcase) that was showing the new My Bloody Valentine, stuck my money on the counter and was promptly told that "we're not showing the 3D version of this film...the film companies just want us to shell out for new equipment and we're not going to". Eh? I take it you've updated your gear so that the films have sound and colour no? Well, what can you do? I saw it anyway natch, but stripped of its shiny gimmick the talk I've heard of it being a bit "old school" is err.....under'mined'. Ouch. It becomes just another 85 minutes of instantly forgettable Friday night fluff.
Bit annoyed as there was nothing on the cinema website to suggest I was only getting 2/3 of the advertised film....so check before you go !
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Managed to see My Bloody Valentine last night, in 3D (thank goodness)! I would have been bitterly disappointed if it wasn't in 3D - as that is the main selling point..

Wasn't too bad overall - apart from the script, which was horrendous! (found myself cringing at majority of the lines said by the main characters), but forgiving that, the deaths were suitably gory :D and they made good use of 3D technology (lots of flying pick-axes, appendages and blood).

Overall - quite good fun!
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

Melvin Junko wrote:This week:

Mama Mia Now I know what hell looks like. Not goona waste .[

Hahahahhahhhh, he had his foot tapping ALL the way through. Such a fibber!
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

'Frost/Nixon' is definitely worth watching. As a political drama the movie slowly pulls you in over the course of the film - overall maybe it was say 15 minutes too long but it doesnt detract too much from the film - probably warrants 3-4 stars out of 5.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

kimblebee wrote:Managed to see My Bloody Valentine last night, in 3D (thank goodness)! I would have been bitterly disappointed if it wasn't in 3D - as that is the main selling point..

Wasn't too bad overall - apart from the script, which was horrendous! (found myself cringing at majority of the lines said by the main characters), but forgiving that, the deaths were suitably gory :D and they made good use of 3D technology (lots of flying pick-axes, appendages and blood).

Overall - quite good fun!
Yep agree with above. There were people walking out in the screening we were in! The film was dumb fun and suitably bloody! Hoorah to that!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

...there weren't enough people in our screening to have walked out - I think I counted about 9 including myself and the lovely Mr. Rawshark :D
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

I think there was around 12 to 15 including me when i went to the vue on friday for the 2:15 showing. Thats the most (if you don't count during the holidays) i've seen in a movie theatre before four o'clock recently.
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

Just watched Girls rebel force of competitive swimmers

Japanse schoolgirls, zombies, lesbians, gore, boobs, 100% Junko proof.

HIghly reccomended if you enjoy top class nonsense :)
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Melvin Junko wrote:Just watched Girls rebel force of competitive swimmers

Japanse schoolgirls, zombies, lesbians, gore, boobs, 100% Junko proof.

HIghly reccomended if you enjoy top class nonsense :)
urh zombies!? I'm sold and Mr O just said he's got it to watch!!!! Yah!
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!