films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:15 pm

Friday 13th.. yeah, it's awful.

Say Platinum Dunes...
We are finishing up on the Unrated DVD this week. That DVD will rock! We have a different cut of movie, that not only has more violence and sex, but it has an additional storyline that is totally different from the movie you will see in theaters. Its not like we just cut a few things differently, the DVD version will feel like a different movie. For those of you who love the theatrical cut, that will also be on the DVD also.
:roll:

And was it just me, or did Jason go on a killing spree because they discovered his stash?

streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:46 pm

Team Banzai wrote:new FRIDAY 13TH...

aside from a few neat splatter effects (that we've seen before) and some bouncing boobs there is little to recommend other than the frisson of seeing jason back in action. a nice scene where he puts the mask on but the plot is so full of holes and is never frightening - it also features the most annoying bunch of victims ever.. you can't wait for them to be killed off - or maybe that was the point.
SPOILER ALERT

Indeed: this shiny new Friday The 13th boasts not one but two batches of more than usually charmless idiot dopers and their girlfriends who get their yonkers out at the drop of a pitchfork, none of whom I gave a slap about and in all honesty I just hoped they died a lot quicker and painfully than it looked. If Jason had been on his holiday that week I'd have done them in myself.

It's an incredibly perfunctory exercise in routine slasher antics; it manages to include Jason in bag-mask, deformed AND hockey mask modes and it doesn't make sense. Why has Jason kept the girl locked up in a vast subterranean labyrinth? Mating purposes? Why didn't he kill her when he first saw her? If that watch makes him think she's his mother why the shackles?. And (yawn) the music is unimpressive to say the least. A couple of mild jump moments, and that's all.

Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 pm

Not reading any of your reviews of Friday the 13th, as myself and Mr O have just aborted a trip to see it at the local Cineworld. After waiting 20 minutes to get the film running, we then found ourselves surrounded by rude boys and wannabe media twunts who thought nothing more of discussing every bit of the film as it happened. Seeing as though Notorious has just opened, I think some of the bare (lots of) kids were in there as they couldn't get tickets to see Mr B.I.G.

Waiting 20 minutes for the projector to work was the least of our worries, as I had to listen to a man telling his friends that he picks all his films from the IMDB top 25 and that Mirrors "starring the man from 24" was the most amazing film ever - had to bite my tongue hard not to call him a cock as he went on to confuse Man on Wire with The Wire tv show.

Finally left after 10 minutes of the actual film as the twat kicking the back of my chair was getting on my tits, and Mr O looked ready to punch one of the rude boys. We left to the sound of one of them squeeking "leaving cause your scared hahahah" - No I am leaving because your a cock (my actual words) We then contemplated telling them about the camp fire scene.

Anywho, got comp tickets to use up to April after explaining to the manager that we've seen a woman have a baby scissored out of her so no a man dying as he peed did nothing to us. We will try again in a few days.

Lesson of the day - don't live in a town where rude boys outnumber horror fans and don't go to the cinema with Doris.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!

sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:41 pm

streetrw wrote:SPOILER ALERT

Why has Jason kept the girl locked up in a vast subterranean labyrinth? Mating purposes? Why didn't he kill her when he first saw her?
It's because she looked like his mother. When they found a picture of Mrs. V, someone commented on how much they looked alike.
why the shackles?
Good question. I guess he justed wanted to look at her. Or something.

soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Friday The 13th

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:51 pm

Enjoyed this. Jason is as psychotic as ever, and the deaths were pretty well staged, and suitably gruesome. Well paced as well. Its more like a homage to the whole series, than a straight remake. The only thing missing was Crazy Ralph! shame, although the original actor died sometime back.

I couldn't stand the bay remake of Texas Chainsaw, not a patch on the Hooper original, but Platinum Dunes have done a good job with this one.

The Elm street remake is an outrage, who but Englund can do Krueger... Total nonsense, that he is too old.

Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Surveillance - Jennifer Lynch (David Lynch's daughters) film. Keeps you involved the whole way through, with a good splatter moment involving some cars, small town idiocy and small town cops all rolled up with a nice twist. It even has the man from 3rd Rock from the Sun in, oh and Bill Pullman!

Well worth a lookie - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409345/
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!

scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Saw Anvil last night at Keswick Film Festival, the documentary about the metal band of the same name who have been touring since the early 80s and influenced loads of big metal bands, but somehow never been successful.

It's very entertaining - you really feel for the guys, but there is a lot of Spinal Tap-esque dialogue and scenes that make you cringe. Well worth checking out!
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?

lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:52 pm

Saw Friday 13th remake or sorts on Friday just gone.

Did not think it was that bad. Found there was quite a bit of humour and of course the customary deaths. I have to say it is great to hear one of the male characters scream like a girl! Also like the fact there was no padding about Jason the youngers years!

Don't expect a masterpiece. At least it is not a shot for shot remake.

Also saw Bolt 3D. Very slow to get going. Not much useage of 3D and so think better off watching it in 2D! Quite action packed. Do like Rhino the Hamster!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"

trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:35 pm

Bolt 3d only confirmed the fact I need to get myself a hamster.

Debate over - i'm getting me a hamster after Glasgow!

I enjoyed it but agreed with Lupo - slow and not much 3d. Worth a sunday afternoon though!
Have you heard of my friends capital letter and comma?

No? Well perhaps you should try them sometime... correct usage will do wonders for your social life.

Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:47 pm

trixybella wrote:Bolt 3d only confirmed the fact I need to get myself a hamster.

Debate over - i'm getting me a hamster after Glasgow!

I enjoyed it but agreed with Lupo - slow and not much 3d. Worth a sunday afternoon though!
I LOVE Bolt!!!! Love it love it love it... when Rhino gets out of his ball it's fantastic and then with the message about 'throw away' pets totally earned brownie points :P

Ordered it on Booray! :D

MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:51 pm

Finally caught up with My Bloody Valentine 3D - looking at your comments on Friday the 13th I clearly chose the right slasher remake this weekend. While Valentine is no masterpiece, it's a solid and very gory slasher flick. The 3D is excellent, flinging all manner of grue and pointy objects at the audience. My only real complaint, was that the three leads were all at least 10 years too young for their parts, their relative youth meant the love triangle part of the plot (and it is actually pretty important) filed to be convincing for me. Good to see Tom Atkins still getting roles.

Also saw Bolt 3D (I am accumulating quite a collection of plastic glasses) which was fun fluff. Great animation but I agree with everyone who has said that the 3d didn't really add anything. BTW there was a nice little Cujo reference in it.

Preceeding Bolt was a 3D trailer for Coraline the new film from Henry Selik who made Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. This looks amazing, wonder if it will be as scary as the Neil Gaiman children's book it's based on?

capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:14 am

went to see Friday the 13th and was sorely disappointed!! i dont think it helped with the cinema full of down wid it chavs loving the hash!! :(

orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:40 am

capthowdy66 wrote:went to see Friday the 13th and was sorely disappointed!! i dont think it helped with the cinema full of down wid it chavs loving the hash!! :(
You didn't see it at the Cineworld in Wandsworth did you? The crowd were so awful we ended up walking out.
"I see the bad moon arising.."

streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:20 am

It's not actually been a bad year so far. Bizarrely, given that I never go to these films, my favourite so far is probably Bolt: I've been a bit down in the last week or so and it cheered me up enormously. I deliberately went to see it in 3D for yet another pair of glasses (but took spares as apparently some cinemas are charging for them). It's a lot of fun and doesn't hit you round the back of the head with the 3D effects (ie by continually shoving things in your eye).

I've always been a wavering fan of Woody Allen - when he's good...but when he's bad.... - and fortunately the new one, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, falls on the good side. There's not much in the way of laughs but it's am absorbing, interesting drama and certainly a massive improvement on the last one, Cassandra's Dream; and Barcelona looks a lot more interesting than London. (And I like London, and am unlikely to visit Spain anytime soon as I only know enough of the language to say "I eat the banana". And I need prompting with that.)

I've developed the habit, in my current non-working state, of going to see the new horror movies at their first showings on a Friday afternoon, thus avoiding much of the shouty peasant yobbo audience. In this way I've seen the new Friday The 13th, the new My Bloody Valentine and the new Underworld movie, Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans. Which doesn't have Kate Beckinsale in spray-on rubber but has Rhona Mitra in medieval garb. I'd forgotten all the mythos origin from the first two underworld movies, so I was more or less interested in the story; it's amiable enough but there's too much dodgy CGI and not enough balls-to-the-wall gore. And what is a proper actor like Michael Sheen doing in this? I know the gas bills need paying but it's like finding Laurence Olivier in a Police Academy movie.

The most simplistic movie of the year is probably Punisher: War Zone, which is simply an hour and a half of death, blood, gunfire and screaming as the lone vigilante slaughters the bad guys, but has little or nothing in the way of character, plotting or even decent dialogue. On that basic level it's fairly enjoyable but it does make the average Chuck Norris movie look like Hamlet.

capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:34 pm

orlovsky wrote:
capthowdy66 wrote:went to see Friday the 13th and was sorely disappointed!! i dont think it helped with the cinema full of down wid it chavs loving the hash!! :(
You didn't see it at the Cineworld in Wandsworth did you? The crowd were so awful we ended up walking out.
I was close to walking out too, it was at the Cineworld in Birmingham.

the worse 'crowd' ive ever watched a film with what with over the top laughing and shouting and to top it off fighting in the lobby on the way out!! obviously someone letting the lowlifes know what they thought of their behaviour!! :(