films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

On Friday I watched Asylum rip-offer Halloween Night, which I found to be a fun little ride.

Then on Sat it was Friday the 13th, which I didn't enjoy.

My my mate summed it up when he turned to me and said, "This could be any old Zone Horror movie." Execpt not as good as Halloween Night, which also had far less of one of my pet hates - mutant fake boobs.

They also missed a great line- when the dude goes to the dudette, "you have perfect nipple alignment," she should have replied, "yeah, my surgeon had to re-do them."
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

Finally got round to watching The Chaser and Let The Right One In

Both really good. Gutted I missed watching these with the Frightfest audience.

The Chaser, made me feel like I did after watching Memories of Murder years ago. Really makes me wonder if the Korean police really are this inept. I cant believe its being remade. I wonder if they will make it all very hollywood like the Vanishing remake and ruin it.

And Let The Right One In. Whoa. Not what I was expecting at all. The two leads were excellent; the snow, the crazy cat scene, and the scene in the swimming pool were just nuts.
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

I watched .rec last night and what an awesome scary film!! I haven't jumped that much in a film for ages!

Seemed to finish so quickly was the only downside! 8)
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Teeth - Great performance from Jess Weixler as the dentally abundant teenage girl. Plenty of dark humour amidst the chappy chopping.

Zombie Strippers - Never rises above its z-grade production values to deliver on the hokey premise of its title. I suspect that by coming up with the title and hiring Robert Englund (...zzzzzz) the producers thought it was job done.
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

deadgirl - surprisingly enjoyable film about shagging a dead girl. Mon the face rape!

outlander - nonsense film with a tron bear. shouldn't be good but ends up being entertaining.

walled in - potential to be awful with mischa barton and cameron shite but was awright.
roughcutreviews
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by roughcutreviews »

feggie wrote:deadgirl - surprisingly enjoyable film about shagging a dead girl. Mon the face rape!

outlander - nonsense film with a tron bear. shouldn't be good but ends up being entertaining.

walled in - potential to be awful with mischa barton and cameron shite but was awright.
LOVED Dead Girl, Agree with you about Oulander but Wall In just bored me. Think I nodded off a few times. That may have more to do with alchohol though...
"When theres no more room in hell the dead will walk the earth..."
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Anvil! The Story of Anvil

In the mid-80's Anvil were poised to become a big name in Metal, around the time Metallica and Slayer were making it... but it never happened.

This documentary follows the current line-up - the singer and drummer are the only two original members - as they attempt a comeback album.

The opening 30 minutes, as Anvil tour Europe, are pure Spinal Tap, and likely to prove funnier than most comedies released this year - fooling some people into thinking the whole movie was a spoof!

It also reminded me of The Wrestler, as the singer works the same sort of dead-end jobs while searching for that elusive last shot at fame.

5/5!
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

See the frightfest glasgow thread. Must say I Sell The Dead was outstanding!
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

This weekend we've watched:

* Turkey Shoot - so silly and funny - it has to be seen to be believed. The freak bit is especially a WTF moment.

* Long Weekend - you want them both to die within 10 minutes, shame it takes a bit longer for it to happen. I was rooting for the animals the whole way - the eagle attack is a thing of wonder :lol:

* First Wives Club - Mr O had never seen it before. Apparently its not a comedy as it didn't have the four laugh moments. Goldie Hawn is super as usual.

Currently watching Road Games...
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Curious how the unsightly claw of coincidence extends into the world of DVD rental.... While you lost were all off enjoying yourselves in Glasgow I was at home watching a duff Charlie Sheen serial killer movie set in Glasgow. It's called Postmortem and if it had been set in Oregon or San Diego it would be a bog-standard psycho flick of the sub-sub-CSI ilk, but when it's set in Glasgow it turns into an episode of Taggart with naked girls in it. Directed by Albert Pyun, genius auteur behind the incomprehensible Nemesis, the early Conan knock-off Sword And The Sorceror and the couldn't-be-arsed-to-finish-writing Knights, plus Captain America, the dullest and stupidest superhero movie ever, by some considerable distance. And the DVD picture quality is astoundingly terrible in places, like they've filmed a VHS print on a cellphone through a sock.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

So we finished Road Games featuring young Jamie Lee Curtis (actually has she ever aged??), nice comedy moments mixed with some good suspense. Still thinking I've seen it before.

Just got back from Friday the 13th - it was like they took all the good bits of the previous films and made one bad movie. Wanted them all to die quickly and as painfully as possible. Too long, shot badly, lit badly and they even nicked the music from The Hills Have Eyes!!! Only disapointed that I had to wait another week (after our first failed attempt) to see it in all its poo glory. But we got to see the trailer for Jennifer Lynchs film again - its sooooooooooooo good you have to see it!
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Theres nothing like a hard drive recorder for recording just about everything on tv the only problem is it means you have to watch whats recorded,so on with what ive seen lately.
kicking off with Dave for knobbishly stupid entertaining films,Enter the ninja an early golan globus production,with franco nero visting an old freind,bonking his wife who happens to be susan george and saving the plantation from a corrupt land company and defeating a pissed off ninja.
chuck norris in Code of Silence not much chuck for your buck in this one,lots of guys in bad suits running around and a remote control tank with a remote the size of an arcade machine,directed by andrew davis and with a couple of chicago actors who have to be in every film made in chicago,look at TDK,cocktail,the fugitive.
Dolph Lundgren looks pretty good in the joshua tree aka army of one with john woo style shoot outs and fast cars,the ken foree gets wasted too early,quite a let down but entertaining nonsense.
Five usa heralds the coming of Roadhouse 2 which does away with patrick swayzes character but introduces his son as a DEA agent,goin to look after his uncles bar who is will patton,jake busey plays the town bad guy,with pretty good fights and is surprisingly entertaining,the only person missing was Eric Roberts
the devil wears prada which has nothing to do with a dapper clothed devil,we saw that in end of days,but this was really entertaining and way off my film compass path,but then i am watching HSM,whatever next ah yes madagascar another one i wouldnt normally watch if paying infact i would have to be dragged to see it and leave my finger nails embedded in the floor on the way,but really fun and lots of laughs too,so this concludes my recent watchings,not all in one day though.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

Wow I thought I had seen some extreme films but that all changed last night!! I watched 'À l'intérieur' or 'Inside' ,my god after watching that it felt like I got hit by a truck!!! Thats one messed up film! Am i the only one after watching films like that thinking i must be fxxed up to like films like this!!lol :lol:
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

WATCHMEN

so has snyder succeeded with the adaptation that so many filmmakers including gilliam and greengrass had to abandon?

the film is visually absolutely spellbinding throughout, the brutality - and snyder has point blank refused to trim anything to garner a 15 rating instead of an 18 - is vicious, visceral and extreme. the sound design is incredible.

the problem with the film is he has captured the visuals so brilliantly, and this is obviously a passion project, but something has been lost in translation from moore's original text. essentially the heart has been torn out and we forget to care on anything more than a superficial level about the characters and their predicaments. tellingly moore's name is conspicuous by its absence on the credits (again).

some of the cast nail the performances perfectly rorschach and the comedian are spot on examples and some fall flat. likewise some of the music cues are odd - and the choices don't always resonate with what's on screen.

from a genre fans perspective however this is an absolute must see and as i said it is visually one of the greatest films ever - but it could have been so much more. this will be a tough sell... at nearly 3 hours and with the extreme graphic violence and zero hollywood star recognition "who will watch the watchmen?"
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

I saw 'Chocolate' (the Thai martial arts film) and it is pretty good. Some of the best fight scenes seen in a while.

Also saw 'Good Luck Chuck' which is pretty funny and a nice watch.

PS - good to see 'Let The Right One In' getting such a good review and coverage in the new Empire mag.