films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Malachi
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Malachi »

Vampirella wrote:
Meanbobs wrote:
Malachi wrote:
Meanbobs, have you heard about the lost chapter of Picnic at Hanging rock?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Hanging_Rock
Cheers for that - just read the synopsis - it's a nice, natural conclusion.
I HATE that lost chapter! I love the empty feeling of the end

Yeah, I think they made the right decision in leaving it out of the film, but it's still an interesting read nonetheless.
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

Vampirella wrote: I HATE that lost chapter! I love the empty feeling of the end
Your ending still exists and is just as valid as the author's ending, so don't feel too angry about it! It's nice to hear the ideas though.

I also watched Videodrome for the first time last night (after only watching Scanners for the first time last weekend). I do enjoy these 80s Cronenberg Films, but they're a bit didactic and enjoy lecturing the audience a little too much. I'll give some of his earlier ones a go.
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

In the past few days:

Push.... what a massive waste of time. Why did nobody warn me it was *that* bad?? Stopped watching after an hour and a bit, just couldn't stomach it any longer - nothing even happens! May as well just have watched an episode of Heroes, since it's about a million times better than that film. Soundtrack didn't match and the voices were constantly drowned out by it anyway, the dialogue sounded like it was being made up as they went along as it was just so incredibly basic and uninspiring, despite the subject matter of the film. Good idea but overall poorly executed, very sloppy, and just a poor, poor script.

The latest SAW, was it 5, I've actually already lost track of what number it was! 'Un-cut/ extreme' DVD version - cool deaths, of course, but didn't really follow the storyline at all! Cool to see Rita from Dexter in it, too, I like her.

Re-watched the Wicker Man (the original, of course) because I love it so very, very much. Amongst the most quotable films ever?

Also re-watched The Children - hadn't seen it since last November, don't remember the beginning 1/3 or so dragging quite so much, I didn't think the build-up was as effective this time round, probably better on the big screen? But, regardless, still a really cool film.

Speaking of the November event, does anyone know if you can watch Tree-venge anywhere online or anything? I always look for it every now and again but never find anything... Must see that again before I die!
"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're *British*, you know..."
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

Maniac

Features some nice Savini special effects and a crazy final act. Worth a watch if you like fat perverts chasing women through the subway. 3/5.
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

world_of_skin wrote: Re-watched the Wicker Man (the original, of course) because I love it so very, very much. Amongst the most quotable films ever?
The same could be said for the criminal remake, to be fair - although you'd get differing responses.
JSh0k
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JSh0k »

[quote="Jim Fear] Why can't you find Day Of The Beast in this country? That film is great....[/quote]

you should be able to get it through lovefilm i think... fantastic movie... my favourite of de la iglesia's though is 800 BULLETS... absolutely amazing although not a horror film...
I'll never forget the first time I saw ACCION MUTANTEthough... blew me away...
Don't recall him making a bad movie to be honest...I even liked OXFORD MURDERS hehe... actually, maybe that was a bad movie...
many things can be preserved in alcohol... dignity is certainly not one of them...
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

JSh0k wrote:you should be able to get it through lovefilm i think... fantastic movie...
Thanks very much for the advice. I'll do some digging to see what I can find. Seems strange that his stuff is so hard to come across.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Meanbobs wrote:
world_of_skin wrote: Re-watched the Wicker Man (the original, of course) because I love it so very, very much. Amongst the most quotable films ever?
The same could be said for the criminal remake, to be fair - although you'd get differing responses.
I've not seen the re-make, but thanks to the couple next to me in the sleepy queue, I've now seen a two minute clip of the best moments on you tube. Nicholas Cage in a bear suit punching a woman. Not to be missed.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Laid To Rest,not as good as it wants to be and reminded me of Scar3D which werent welcome memories at all,some quite good gore FX and a dull as you like rentakiller,i just dont see the point of giving a killer no motive in a slasher film,and it annoyed me that i felt i had missed the 1st ten minutes even though i hadnt.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Does Nicholas Cage not get his top off and stand in front of a mirror in this one?
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

JSh0k wrote:[quote="Jim Fear] Why can't you find Day Of The Beast in this country? That film is great....

you should be able to get it through lovefilm i think... fantastic movie... my favourite of de la iglesia's though is 800 BULLETS... absolutely amazing although not a horror film...
I'll never forget the first time I saw ACCION MUTANTEthough... blew me away...
Don't recall him making a bad movie to be honest...I even liked OXFORD MURDERS hehe... actually, maybe that was a bad movie...[/quote][/quote]

If folks have a local branch of FOPP, the Nottingham store's been doing Accion Mutante for about £4 and that superb 800 Bullets for £3 :shock:

Agree with JSh0k - 800 Bullets is a LOAD of fun - not sure what the child labour/protection laws must be like in Spain though :shock: and I wish they could've actually gotten Clint for that final scene - top, top film though.
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
JSh0k
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JSh0k »

I have DAY OF THE BEAST and also de la iglesia's LA COMMUNIDAD and CRIMENO FERPECTO all on spanish DVD... not too sure if COM and FERPECT have been released in the uk... If you get desperate for DAY OF THE BEAST or are interested in the others I'm always happy to send them off for you to borrow... as long as I get em back lol...
which I wouldn't know if I would or not til I sent em... which means there'd be an element of trust involved hehe...
but seriously you'd be welcome... always good to spread the amazing work of de la iglesia...
many things can be preserved in alcohol... dignity is certainly not one of them...
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

I managed to see La Comunidad being screened as a surprise film at a ugc a few years back. Great little film that i expected nothing of but got so much from.
JSh0k
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JSh0k »

last 2 days...
in preperation for GIALLO started going through some argento's again...
TENEBRAE... still love it as much as i did when i first saw it 25 years ago... great movie... the window to window tracking shot is still bloody brilliant... one of my favourite shots of the 80's hehe... and the dog chase scene is still shit scary...
SLEEPLESS(NONHOSONNO)... not as good as i remembered it to be... the trademark argento style had begun to fade here and apart from some good murders and a solid performance from max von sydow not a lot going for it... still fun though...
MOTHER OF TEARS... finally got around to watching all of this as i had only seen the first half for some reason... like the story and theres a couple of good scenes but theres just absolutely no sense of scale to the violence occuring... we just get random shots of a couple of people doing something nasty... where are all the extras...it feels really cheap... not one of his best by a long shot...
after that it was time for a rest from argento so put on
LA HORA FRIA (THE DARK HOUR)... really enjoyed this... tight post apocalyptic survivors against the unknown story with some really good performances... i really liked the ending although i'm sure many won't...
and after the de la iglesia talk i chucked on...
CRIMEN FERPECTO... I forgot just how damn good this movie was... stylish, hilarious, entertaining... it's amazing how dela iglesia slides fromgenre to genre with such ease... truly great movie...
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

JSh0k wrote:If you get desperate for DAY OF THE BEAST or are interested in the others I'm always happy to send them off for you to borrow... as long as I get em back lol...
which I wouldn't know if I would or not til I sent em... which means there'd be an element of trust involved hehe...
but seriously you'd be welcome... always good to spread the amazing work of de la iglesia...
Many thanks for the offer but I'm sure I'll come across them at some point online. I used to have Day Of The Beast on video that I taped off the TV late one night, but unsurprisingly its been disposed of like most VHS's have. Besides, I need something to hunt through the internet for. Keeps on occupied at weekends!