films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Looks like Stanley is back in action... :)

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/richard ... -vacation/
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

Meanbobs wrote:Cat in the Brain: A moronic turd of a film.
I think that's far too kind a description :P
Meanbobs wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for any of the other Italian/Explotation Cannibal films to watch? (I have the uncut Cannibal Ferox in the pile o' DVDs)

Spaghetti Italian horror: Fulci's The Beyond and Lamberto Bava's Demons (Demons 2 is crap, though).
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

Thanks, it was more the Cannibal films I was after, but after just watching Cannibal Ferox - which was woeful, and not even laughably so, I think I'm done with that little tangent of early-eighties cinerama. For now at least.
JSh0k
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JSh0k »

BLOOD-THE LAST VAMPIRE
Things that I have learned from watching this heap of crap...
#1- 1h25mins can seem like an eternity...
#2- American girls will not leave the protaganist they believe they are helping even though all they've done through the movie is be a pain in the ass that gets in the way...
#3- a $35million budget does not go a long way these days... It certainly does not extend to affording a competent director or effects house... It will however guarantee you effects from 1986 and a large amount of out of focus shots and kinetic camera movement...
#4- A Vast amount of exposition will not necessarily explain anything that is going on...
#5- Vampires bleed pebbles... red and black pebbles...
#6- Ancient all powerful demons would rather talk a bit than engage in an interesting climactic showdown...
#7- No matter how good the source material is it is never to good to waste...
#8- A great looking asian girl in a school girl outfit fighting hordes of vampire can be thoroughly uninteresting... and believe me I was shocked tolearn that...
#9- Actors from eastenders really can pop up anywhere...
#10- Last one... there really are films out there that have absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever...
many things can be preserved in alcohol... dignity is certainly not one of them...
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Mr O took me to see Moon on Friday. Its amazing! Even with some idiot behind talking in an outdoor voice for parts, I was glued to the screen. To be honest, I wasn't expecting a lot from it but it really does deliver. I even wanted to applaud at the end, but thought I might get weird looks :oops: If you can find somewhere near you screening it, go and check it out.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Malachi
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Malachi »

Hello Doris! wrote:Mr O took me to see Moon on Friday. Its amazing! Even with some idiot behind talking in an outdoor voice for parts, I was glued to the screen. To be honest, I wasn't expecting a lot from it but it really does deliver. I even wanted to applaud at the end, but thought I might get weird looks :oops: If you can find somewhere near you screening it, go and check it out.

Oooh I really want to see that, didn't realise it had been released yet. :D
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

not really seen much but if you havent seen Redbelt then do so its superb,David Mamet directs this tale of someone struggling & being royally f*cked over. Very well played by Chiwetel Ejifor,and we see his life unravelling before our eyes.
really worth watching and with superb fight choreography,but its not about that its about the characters superb.
Amistad
The 90s were kind to Matthew McConaughey what with this and A Time To Kill and lets not forget texas chainsaw the next generation as well,but its not all about naked bongo man,this is a great movie,and one of my favourite spielberg movies anthony hopkins was robbed at the oscars and djimon hounsou was too,a haunting score by john williams makes this one of spielbergs best.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Managed to get into Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince last Wednesday and was pleasantly surprised by it. I've not been a massive fan of the series thus far - they're okay, but I probably need to watch them again as they're rather like the Friday the 13ths in that they all tend to merge into one: which was the one where they rode on the flying monster thing, which was the one with the time-travelling necklace? Especially when you haven't seen them since their original cinema releases.

HP6* is visually much darker and in places is almost in black and white. It's also the first time one of the HP movies has actually made me jump. It felt a bit like two films merged into one - there's the usual Harry Potter potions and effects stuff mixed with the developing romantic relationships between the main (young) characters, and then there's the main plot of Harry, Dumbledore, Slughorn and Voldemort. The latter I thought was the more interesting of the two. And I suspect the climax of the film, which Mark Kermode was referring to the other day as "the unhappy event", would have had more impact if they hadn't trumpeted it loudly the previous week in the mistaken belief that we all knew about it already. But it's generally much more enjoyable than I was expecting and let's hope the standard keeps up for the final two.

* HP6 is also the area postcode for Amersham, Buckinghamshire, but that's not really relevant.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

Also went to see Potter on wednesday night, really enjoyed it. I agree with Mark Kermode that it is probably the second best of the films so far(one of the weaker books so that makes it all the more impressive). I liked the way that they finished after 'the unhappy event', kinda reminded me of the end of the empire strikes back(not a big star wars fan and haven't watched it for about 15 years but that was the first thing i thought of, sorry if it offends some of you trekkies :P ).

Just back from seeing Moon and i thought it was possibly the best film I've seen in the cinema this year. Sam Rockwell was outstanding. Hello Doris was spot on when she mentions wanting to applaud at the end. Fantastic end to a surprising gem of a film.

Bought tickets for Nosferatu in November at the GFT, they seem to be repeating the performance that they did at the Glasgow Film Festival where they have some live musical accompaniment(or however you spell it) and some recorded narration. I had to pass on it then to go see Anvil which had an introduction and a Q and A with the band and the director. one of my biggest movie going highlights was the credits of the film starting and the band going straight into a live version of Metal to Metal. Simply awesome.

Anyways I rambled again so in conclusion, Potter-Good, Moon-Excellent and Anvil-Really good.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I'm sure there are absolutely dozens of Greek zombie movies, but hardly any have surfaced in the UK and as far as I know the only one that's easily obtainable is Evil. It's incredibly formulaic as far as genre conventions are concerned - they want to eat you and can only be stopped by massive head trauma - but is generally pretty good going as a basic, unpretentious splatter movie. Something mysterious infects three workers in a cave: that evening they turn into zombs and start infecting everyone else except a handful of survivors. A fair measure of gory mayhem (thankfully not done on the computer) and a genuinely great final shot. Not a masterpiece, but a hell of a lot better than I was expecting, and certainly more grisly fun the last half-dozen cheapo American offerings in the same vein.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

streetrw wrote:Managed to get into Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince last Wednesday and was pleasantly surprised by it. I've not been a massive fan of the series thus far - they're okay, but I probably need to watch them again as they're rather like the Friday the 13ths in that they all tend to merge into one: which was the one where they rode on the flying monster thing, which was the one with the time-travelling necklace? Especially when you haven't seen them since their original cinema releases.

HP6* is visually much darker and in places is almost in black and white. It's also the first time one of the HP movies has actually made me jump. It felt a bit like two films merged into one - there's the usual Harry Potter potions and effects stuff mixed with the developing romantic relationships between the main (young) characters, and then there's the main plot of Harry, Dumbledore, Slughorn and Voldemort. The latter I thought was the more interesting of the two. And I suspect the climax of the film, which Mark Kermode was referring to the other day as "the unhappy event", would have had more impact if they hadn't trumpeted it loudly the previous week in the mistaken belief that we all knew about it already. But it's generally much more enjoyable than I was expecting and let's hope the standard keeps up for the final two.

* HP6 is also the area postcode for Amersham, Buckinghamshire, but that's not really relevant.
Am i a little bit wrong for not giving a hoot about the harry potter films books, phenomenon,i had the first 3 movies and did try and give them a go,but i just cant muster the energy and time to invest in the world of harry potter,and now its at no 6 i wont even bother to try,its great for younger viewers i guess who,queue up and dress up as their favourite characters to get into the spirit of it as i saw on wednesday at cinemas i went too but i wonder am i the only one whos just not feeling the harry potter magic?
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Bruno!

Now I really hated Borat but did enjoy the parts where he made folks look totally stupid and he’s managed to do it again with the Austrian Superstar Bruno!

There’s you’re usual SICK moments and I’m not talking mild moments, sick disturbing, if you’re a prude, you’re not going to enjoy these moments. :lol: It was a laugh a minute but there were points where I worried for the fellas safety especially the climax at a UFC type competition, surrounded by testosterone, riling them up with an “Isn’t it great to be Hetero” chant and then this gay romp happens in the ring… and the crowd TURN in an instant, throwing beer and then chairs… there are a few moments where people turn on ‘Bruno’ and at one point it looked like he may be stoned and the camera did cut off...

Watch out for the Jesus man trying to re-educated Bruno into the land of the straight… perfect lips ;)

Really enjoyed it and a definite bluray purchase for me when it arrives.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Cold Prey II: Resurrection: A decent sequel, albeit with no real surprises, but several effective and tense sequences. An interesting moral question is also posed early on. Overall, another solid addition to the burgeoning Norwegian horror scene. 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

last week:

Flash future kung fu - Couldn't get into this at all, probably cus I was very very tired. Will give it a 2nd chance sometime.

The abortion bin mixtape - Pretty good mixtape, some good bits that I've never seen before.

The sickest video on earth - another mixtape, too bad I'm not really down with s&m stuff or footages of real corpses. And that video of that crazy Steve Vai groupie's pussyfarts is pretty much old news as well.

Steel and Lace - so this woman gets gangraped and kills herself, her scientist brother rebuilds her as a cyborg and sends her on a revenge mission. Pretty bad but entertaining stuff.

Atomik Circus - French movie with Vanessa Paradis about an alien invasion in a little french red neck town. I thought it was great, highly reccomend it.

Big man on campus - seen this ages ago and thought it was great, this time around I still quite enjoyed it.

Pontypool - I don't want to miss Trick r treat or Human centipede this Frightfest, so I got this one of the net. I really liked it, pretty origional story, and one good scare moment that send a shiver through my entire body.

Night of the demons - I thought it was pretty bad and boring, not looking forward to the remake at all.

Highschool ghosthustlers - Ghostbusters Japanese style, so that's highschool girls fighting oversexed ghosts. It all ends with tentacles of course. Good fun.

Video armageddon 2 - another good mixtape

The children - I don't really like children in movies in general but this wasn't bad at all.

Sister Streetfighter - pretty decent martial arts stuff. Not as sleazy as the Streetfighter movies though.

Stormriders - Chinese Martial arts fantasy, good stuff, pretty strange in places.

Twinkle twinkle little star - When I saw this described as Shaw brothers sci fi I had pretty high hopes. Denfenitly wasn't expecting a sci fi musical comedy but that's what it was. Thought it was crap, pretty decent fight at the end though.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Melvin Junko wrote: Night of the demons - I thought it was pretty bad and boring
Blasphemy!