films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Just got back from watching Antichrist, and it seems that I am in the minority when I say that I really enjoyed it. Thought it was very powerful in places, but I will admit that it could do without the real sex 10 second shot at the start.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

The Defender - jet li stuff, haven't seen the ending due to a massive scrach on dvd, am downloading it now to watch the final 15 minutes.

Mirai ninja - Ninjas, robots, ninja robots, cheesy special effets, good fun

Night of the demons 2 - liked it a lot more than the first one, better acting, more gore, just a better movie in general.

Attack of the beast creatures - shipwrecked peole end up on island full of shitty looking killer dolls. pretty crap stuff.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

I went to see Antichrist on Friday and left after forty minutes. I walked out of Dogville a few years back too. Not because of being offended but because I was so numbingly bored. Nothing happened. Unengaging psychobabble, a B&W Imperial Leather ad and a dead deer foetus. Ooh, scary. Ooh, groundbreaking. Bollocks.
JSh0k
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JSh0k »

I am never offended... I have watched the most outlandish stuff imagineable and laughed as others around me fell by the wayside or were disgusted, AUGUST UNDERGOUNDs, GUINEA PIGs, any number of Asian extreme horror movies, IRREVERSIBLE, INSIDE, BAISE MOI all fine... the list goes on and on...

Then why is it that I find CRANK 2 the most offensive movie of all time... I don't know... Is it that it's the celluloid equivalent of the most mysoginistic lad's mag dosed up on crack with an added infusion of racial stereotyping? Is it the staurday nights alright for fighting menatlity that i hate? Is it that my eyes still haven't recovered from the appalling camerawork and cinematography? Was it Mike Pattons movie cheapening arse of a score? Is it some of the most misguided scenes in the history of film? I loved the first one so how is it that the sequel had about twice the budget and comes off looking like some DTV sci fi channel shitefest... I'm hoping they enjoyed snorting three quarters of the budget cause... ah I can't go on... just appalling and offensive and i never in my life thought i'd say that...
I did watch it before i slagged it off so if anyone at the daily mail is reading don't consider me for a job...
many things can be preserved in alcohol... dignity is certainly not one of them...
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

BTK: Bind, Torture, Kill is a cheap and charmless true-life serial killer movie from Lionsgate, starring Kane Hodder as the kind of low-level law enforcement officer who tickets people for not cutting their grass or letting their dogs run loose, and who periodically brutalises and murders women while keeping up a taunting correspondence with the authorities. Ugly, flatly shot, uninteresting and, presumably because the film wants to adhere to the real events, the last half hour peters out without a word as to the eventual fates of all concerned. Not recommended.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

First things first, Moon is great - if you haven't seen it yet then go and support it if you get the chance, it's an ambitious slice of classic sci-fi and Sam Rockwell is on top form.

Antichrist then... I'm still trying to digest it, and I'm not sure I know what Lars Von Trier was trying to make, if indeed he knows himself. However, having expected the worst after some vitriolic reviews I certainly 'enjoyed' (if that's the right word) it a lot more than I thought I would, and I'm so glad I bothered to give it a chance and make up my own mind. I can totally understand why a lot of people don't like it - sure it is slow in places, and I really disliked the ending - but for the most part I found it interesting and quite disturbing, and I honestly think it's one of the most beautiful looking films I've seen in a long time. Real lush HD cinematography, the way it was cut together, the production design - very arty and pretentious but I liked it. Charlotte Gainsbourg was really strong too I thought.
First things first, stay calm.
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

JSh0k wrote:Then why is it that I find CRANK 2 the most offensive movie of all time... I don't know... Is it that it's the celluloid equivalent of the most mysoginistic lad's mag dosed up on crack with an added infusion of racial stereotyping?
I took it as a spoof and quite enjoyed it! I thought Crank 2 was no more misogynistic or racist than the superficial efforts of filmmakers to hide these themes in a huge number of action films of the eighties. It was making fun of them. It was a parody of the politically incorrect. What made you think they were being serious?
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

It depresses me a bit to see so many people going on about how "terrible" Antichrist is. I thought it was atmospheric (in parts), beautiful (in parts) and confrontational. Slow? Maybe, but go see Transformers if you can't sit for 40 minutes without seeing something blow up. Don't go expecting a 'horror' film - you'll be disappointed.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

It wasn't just the pacing... I didn't buy into anything going on in that movie (apart from it was a horror film... but I didn't go in expecting one). Also, I wouldn't be depressed over peoples views! It's very interesting how this movie splits an audience... I was very suprised Mark Kermode liked it.
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

mamawaldi wrote:It depresses me a bit to see so many people going on about how "terrible" Antichrist is. I thought it was atmospheric (in parts), beautiful (in parts) and confrontational. Slow? Maybe, but go see Transformers if you can't sit for 40 minutes without seeing something blow up. Don't go expecting a 'horror' film - you'll be disappointed.
You're making the assumption, by referring to my post, that I wanted to see something blow up. No. I wanted a film that involved me emotionally rather than leaving me numb and making me nod off a couple of times. I would have been ecstatic if it was imbued with the equal power of Robert Wise's The Haunting, to pick an 'unexplosive' atmospheric favourite of mine.

To give you a fuller picture, I've seen The Idiots and Dogville and I had my doubts about the glowing reviews Antichrist had received as both of those films left me cold too. Yes, there is confrontational content in terms of taboo and explicit material in all three but so what?

It's not about content, for me, it's about the presentation and the latter is where I felt Antichrist fell down. There was one shot of the trees in the wood glowing that I thought was effective but after forty minutes, I would have liked to have more to say in the film's favour than that.
www.gryeates.co.uk
JSh0k
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JSh0k »

Meanbobs wrote:
JSh0k wrote:Then why is it that I find CRANK 2 the most offensive movie of all time... I don't know... Is it that it's the celluloid equivalent of the most mysoginistic lad's mag dosed up on crack with an added infusion of racial stereotyping?
I took it as a spoof and quite enjoyed it! I thought Crank 2 was no more misogynistic or racist than the superficial efforts of filmmakers to hide these themes in a huge number of action films of the eighties. It was making fun of them. It was a parody of the politically incorrect. What made you think they were being serious?
at no point did i think it was serious. i understand that it was a parody. as i said i loved the first one. i just thought it was utterly appalling in almost every department. it offended me that i wasted 1hr20minutes of my life watching it more than anything else.
many things can be preserved in alcohol... dignity is certainly not one of them...
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

mamawaldi wrote:It depresses me a bit to see so many people going on about how "terrible" Antichrist is. I thought it was atmospheric (in parts), beautiful (in parts) and confrontational. Slow? Maybe, but go see Transformers if you can't sit for 40 minutes without seeing something blow up. Don't go expecting a 'horror' film - you'll be disappointed.
Well, don't forget I hated Transformers as well, despite it being nothing but things blowing up and smashing into one another!

I have been thinking about this since Saturday night, and that's not something I've particularly wanted to do. I think part of the problem with Antichrist is the graphic sex and violence - not because it's immoral and filthy and sick and disgusting, but because it doesn't fit. There's dramatic content already, about a couple grieving over the loss of a child in different ways and falling apart as a result. It doesn't have to abruptly veer into gore and mutilation. In that sense it feels like two completely different movies bolted together - the grieving drama and the hysterical madness movie. The last reel of Audition-esque torture and self-harm doesn't need to be there, so why is it? I haven't seen any other Lars Von Trier movies so I don't know how Antichrist stacks up against his other films and whether they're all like this. And the symbolic (accent on the -bolic) use of animals just came across as silly.

Obviously I knew going in that it was going to be grim (it's about people getting over the death of their child) and confrontational (courtesy of the hype and the idiots writing for the Daily Eeeek!); I knew there were going to be no laughs and probably not even one uplifting moment from start to finish. But there were no happy moments in The Girl Next Door or The Lost, and even though I didn't profoundly love those two films I have respect for them. Even the aforementioned Audition had some black humour in the horrible absurdity of it all. I can't rustle up very much in the way of respect for Antichrist. Yes, parts of it are beautifully shot, but the opening and closing sequences only bring to mind those impenetrable "Calvin Klein - Pour L'Homme" commercials we get around Christmas time. I wanted to like it - I wouldn't have wasted two hours of a Saturday night in the Haymarket on it otherwise. But I didn't like it.

(I wanted to like Bruno as well, but would have gladly passed on it on SBC's previous track record had I not read and heard that it was substantially better than Borat.)
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

gregjames wrote:
You're making the assumption, by referring to my post, that I wanted to see something blow up. No. I wanted a film that involved me emotionally rather than leaving me numb and making me nod off a couple of times. I would have been ecstatic if it was imbued with the equal power of Robert Wise's The Haunting, to pick an 'unexplosive' atmospheric favourite of mine.

To give you a fuller picture, I've seen The Idiots and Dogville and I had my doubts about the glowing reviews Antichrist had received as both of those films left me cold too. Yes, there is confrontational content in terms of taboo and explicit material in all three but so what?

It's not about content, for me, it's about the presentation and the latter is where I felt Antichrist fell down. There was one shot of the trees in the wood glowing that I thought was effective but after forty minutes, I would have liked to have more to say in the film's favour than that.
Surely Dogville only left you slightly chilled as you didn't see enough of it to be left cold? We're all different- maybe I'm hopelessly optimistic (or easily pleased :? ) but I've not walked out of a film yet (or left a match 5 minutes before the end no matter how badly Reading are getting pulverised!)
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I saw Anti Christ and after seeing it. I was speechless. Agree with the posts being beautifully shot and rather dreamlike. Came away not quite understanding the end of the film. Don't want to say too much on here,for anyone else who hasn't see it.

Certainly left me thinking about it. Not as disturbing I thought it will be. Apart from one particular squirming scene. Would say it is worth seeing but is a bit slow going.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Doomsday - It's like some what out of date cheese but still a decent taste to it.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011