films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw The Taking of Pelham 123 yesterday. Very stylized and entertaining in parts. Was expecting a nail biter of a film. Did lack any tension but this was made up with John Travolta swearing badboy performance. Denzil Washington was wasted in the film. I think this the first film I've seen him in since Deja Vu!

Shame this was not tension building film. Have to check the original see what that is like.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

A mixed bag of movies seen of late, Man On Wire not to be confused with the John Badham, Mel Gibson comedy Bird On A Wire, excellent documentary of a once in a lifetime feat, and stunt pulled off, on buildings that no longer exist very entertaining and a story well told.
Friday The 13th
I was looking forward to this reboot of a horror franchise that lost its way in part 5 and 8 onwards, but it’s a hefty legacy to fuck with, so they better get it right, right!
Wrong, what was Marcus Nispel thinking of? Well he wasn’t thinking of the legacy of Friday the 13th nor the fans, nor those people who grew up in the slasher era of the 80s, this doesn’t as much reboot a franchise but slams the coffin door shut and nails it tight, till at least an enterprising film maker who is in favour with Michael Bay gets the job again to make another waste of a beloved horror icon.
Just watch the credits, cgi & digital effects, what’s wrong with real make up and prosthetics, that’s how it was done originally, and its worked damn well for Tom Savini & KNB too.
It’s a sad and shockingly poor attempt at reviving Friday the 13th avoid this and watch the originals.
And finally what’s with the cinematography its so dark, Daniel c Pearl, needs to get his eyes tested, AVPR was bad enough, this is even worse.
The opening scenes to this movie look straight out of The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford, and it’s a fine original movie it’s The Burrowers, superbly done and worthy of a big screen showing this is the sort of film that we see all too little of excellent movie
Tyson, another documentary recently watched one not just for boxing fans but those curious about what makes people tick, very well made.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

The Taking of Pelham 123

Cracking movie this. Paced very well, performances all convincing and involving. Tony Scott proves he really is the only one who can utilise the crash editing scheme effectivley.

Travolta is of course the main event giving us another good villain. The guy hasnt been in anything worth bothering with since the enjoyably crap Swordfish. In which he was the only thing worth paying attention to (apart from its soundtrack).

Soft for Digging
A great experimental movie. Two or three lines of dialogue at most during its 70+ minute running time.
An old geezer follows his runaway cat and finds a girl being murdered. Authorities are unable to help so he takes the reigns himself.
Its amatuer and could do with being trimmed to 50+ mins but its recommended and being from 1998 it predates this decades obsession with juddery ghostly kids.

Moon
Yes it has its own thread but this is a fantastic movie. Really evocative of the great sci fi flicks of old.
Visually and musically and even in pacing. Sam Rockwell once more proves what an underated actor he is.
The great twist of the story is revealed mid movie and we are presented with an interesting rumination on how people change. Us of now is not the us of many years ago and how well would we get on with that person we were? How well would we get on with ourselves at any point?
I wanted the film to go on for another 30 mins.

The Reader
Well intentioned and well acted movie which im sure is meant to be a metaphor in someway for Germany's guilt over the Camps. Its just not involving the way it could have been.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

I really enjoyed Pelham 123 as wel... until it got silly in the last act.

Soft for Digging - I saw this at the London Film Festival years ago... has it finally got a DVD release?

GI Joe and The Orphan are out at the end of the week... I wonder if the former is as bad as every says...
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

lupogirl wrote:Did lack any tension but this was made up with John Travolta swearing badboy performance.
See, that's what puts me off it from the trailers. With the exception of Carrie, I've yet to see Travolta play a villain who doesn't come across as camp and a bit silly. He doesn't come across, to me, as remotely threatening in the preview bits that I've seen.
www.gryeates.co.uk
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

sherbetbizarre wrote: Soft for Digging - I saw this at the London Film Festival years ago... has it finally got a DVD release?
Yes it is on DVD.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/586579/S ... oduct.html

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Lucio Fulci's The House By The Cemetery 9/10
Alexandre Aja's The Hills Have Eyes (Extended) 7.5/10

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra is quite possibly the maddest, most overblown action movie of the decade and leaves the year's other CGI behemoth based on a toy, Transformers 2, in the gutter. It comes across as what would have been the ultimate result if Thunderbirds and the Roger Moore era Bond films had been allowed to mate - a megalomaniacal master villain (Christopher Eccleston with Scottish accent) plotting destruction, glamourous women in tight outfits (Rachel Nichols, Sienna Miller), mad scientists and armies of minions, while everything's caked in overblown computer effects that frankly might as well be done with puppets and string for all the reality they convey. Fights and chases and explosions go on for absolutely ages (particularly the Paris stuff) and the door is left open for a sequel. Okay, it's no masterpiece, but it took my mind off my root canal for a couple of hours.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Does everyone like GI Joe except me? I thought it was nonsense... in a tedious way :?
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Elephant,Gus Van Sants fictional take on the columbine massacre on BR.Still very shocking & poignant,but completely pointless on its HD format,no extras, the only difference is its DTS HD audio improvement & that isnt enough to justify its release on BR.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

streetrw wrote:GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra is quite possibly the maddest, most overblown action movie of the decade and leaves the year's other CGI behemoth based on a toy, Transformers 2, in the gutter. It comes across as what would have been the ultimate result if Thunderbirds and the Roger Moore era Bond films had been allowed to mate - a megalomaniacal master villain (Christopher Eccleston with Scottish accent) plotting destruction, glamourous women in tight outfits (Rachel Nichols, Sienna Miller), mad scientists and armies of minions, while everything's caked in overblown computer effects that frankly might as well be done with puppets and string for all the reality they convey. Fights and chases and explosions go on for absolutely ages (particularly the Paris stuff) and the door is left open for a sequel. Okay, it's no masterpiece, but it took my mind off my root canal for a couple of hours.
Didn't Sienna "I can't act" Miller's wig cost something stupid in this film?
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

Hello Doris! wrote:
streetrw wrote:GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra is quite possibly the maddest, most overblown action movie of the decade and leaves the year's other CGI behemoth based on a toy, Transformers 2, in the gutter. It comes across as what would have been the ultimate result if Thunderbirds and the Roger Moore era Bond films had been allowed to mate - a megalomaniacal master villain (Christopher Eccleston with Scottish accent) plotting destruction, glamourous women in tight outfits (Rachel Nichols, Sienna Miller), mad scientists and armies of minions, while everything's caked in overblown computer effects that frankly might as well be done with puppets and string for all the reality they convey. Fights and chases and explosions go on for absolutely ages (particularly the Paris stuff) and the door is left open for a sequel. Okay, it's no masterpiece, but it took my mind off my root canal for a couple of hours.
Didn't Sienna "I can't act" Miller's wig cost something stupid in this film?
At least five tarantulas. But that's just a guess.
www.gryeates.co.uk
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

streetrw wrote:GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra Okay, it's no masterpiece, but it took my mind off my root canal for a couple of hours.
Classic Richard. They should ask to use that quote on the posters, or at least the DVD cover when it comes out. Stick it right between "Unmissable" - Heat Magazine and "Freakin' Awesome" - Woman's Realm :)
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

The Proposal... I really liked it... very funny www.peopleofifrit.net

HOORAY!
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

Notts Pete wrote:
streetrw wrote:GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra Okay, it's no masterpiece, but it took my mind off my root canal for a couple of hours.
Classic Richard. They should ask to use that quote on the posters, or at least the DVD cover when it comes out. Stick it right between "Unmissable" - Heat Magazine and "Freakin' Awesome" - Woman's Realm :)
Though the quote does imply that GI Joe is an anaesthesia:

'This film will leave you completely NUMB!'

'You will feel precisely bugger all for one and a half hours!'
www.gryeates.co.uk