films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Reanimator wrote:I saw Inglorious Basterds as well yesterday and I am definitely in the 'good' camp - QT's best film since Pulp Fiction and some great dialogue scenes. Christopher Waltz steals the show and should be a strong contender for best supporting actor next year.

i have no doubt Christopher Waltz will be in the running for a best supporting actor,and there are some great dialogue scenes,but those are in the 1st 90 mins.
what we have is a 150 min film lecture from QT telling the audience just how clever he is and how much he knows of cinema and the medium of film.
save your money watch the trailers as the best lines from the basterds are in there.
"The truth is so misleading,rumours can be so revealing"
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

The Crow City Of Angels directors cut,i have no idea what the difference is between the theatrical or dc cut is,but as a crow film that stands alone away from the brandon lee movie,this holds up incredibly well,the set designs & cinematography look stunning.
Directed by Tim Pope a music video director of the Cures promos written by David S Goyer the story is well written,although Vincent Perez is no Brandon Lee,his portrayal of the crow is still watchable,unsurprisingly the history of this production is checkered by the involvement of miramax dimension.
but still watchable & enjoyable with a great soundtrack and score too.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw A Perfect Getaway. Quite a interesting story in a lush setting but the black and white 10 minutes verbal drivel of the film was pointless and just padding. Still, a entertaining film.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

i just saw a movie called the cradle will fall..renamed from baby blues...very well made but very disturbing.anyone else seen it??

peace
the house shot her !!!
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Got to say, I fall in to the 'not overly impressed' camp with Inglourious Basterds, which is a shame as I really did want to like it..

The first scene is great, nicely tense and happy to take it's time with some lovely dialogue, but from then on in the film falls into being a film for film's sake, and I am personally getting a bit tired of QT's endless homages and knowing winks to the audience.

Brad Pitt is a bit naff in all honesty, and I just cannot take Eli Roth seriously at all. The script is all over the place (is there any real point in introducing the English contingent at all?), and, dare I say it, the film lacks any real sense of 'fun'.

Having said that, there are moments to enjoy - the scene with the playing cards in the basement bar is great, and Morricone's Revolver score in the projectionist booth is inspired (even though it is just another knowing wink to the audience).

Overall, for me, it's overlong and overindulged - and for the first time ever, QT has made a film that I have no desire to ever watch again... 2 Stars.

Also saw A Perfect Getaway over the weekend, and although flawed and similar to the superior Surveillance I still enjoyed it... 3 Stars
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

For me it's been an afternoon of indifferent horror sequels. Started with Lost Boys: The Tribe, an occasionally gory but mainly dull vamp flick in which a bunch of surfer dudes try and turn the new girl into a vampire. Corey Feldman is in it, overegging it far too much, and it's got a lot of thumpy rock on the soundtrack.

Negligibly better was Pumpkinhead: Blood Feud. This is the fourth in the series and a disappointment after the trashiliy enjoyable third one (by Jake West). Here the meaningless feud between two rival families of yeehawing backwoods dimwits results in the demon being summoned once more, while Lance Henriksen hovers spectrally on the sidelines telling everyone it's a bad idea. Well, d'uh. Not recommended.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Maybe it's just me but so far Quentin Tarantino has not made a film so far which I have not enjoyed. All of his efforts have been very entertaining romps through different genres, almost like a film fan making an entetaining tribute for other film fans.

I love 'Inglorious Basterds'. There's no two ways about it - when I saw it almost three weeks ago I was almost mad with glee after walking out from it. Fast forward to now - and I'm almost as excited to get a chance to see it again tomorrow morning.

Yes it is a long film - but as far as I am concerned every minute of those two and something hours is justified. Yes it is not really completely about the Basterds - but that works all the better for it. As far as I am concerned Christoph Waltz gives what is essentialy one of the most brilliant, devious, intelligent and frightening villains ever seen on screen. Forget Hopkin's Hannibal, here's a man who is ready to commit almost any atrocity in the name of just doing his job. He is a man who is much more dangerous than the Nazis around him precisely because of his lack of a moral core, a deep belief in the central ideology of the party. He is a man who uses his 'job' as a platform for personal gain and satisfaction. He is unpredictable, unstable and possibly more dangerous than a viper: What a performance!

Eli Roth is quite unbearable - however once the script gets him to keep quiet, he suddenly becomes a lot less annoying. The rest of the cast are uniformly good - Diane Kruger as the German actress shines in the one very long scene she gets - and her fate is beautifully tragic.

I don't want to give too many spoilers but after walking out of Inglorious Basterds , I felt like I was a fool to ever doubt it would be a hollow joy: How could I not fall in love with a film which starts of as a World War 2 western and traversing through every possible film territory ends as The Last Metro mixed with Come And See?

Yours Sincerely

Voor

P.s. Literally just came in from watching the film again - my love for it has been even more re-inforced that I could have thought. Also Christop Waltz not Christopher - I feel terrible for this small mistake on my part.
Last edited by voor on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

There is no doubt that IB will divide fans and critics alike & also no doubt that every picture he has stolen from for inspiration is a far better film than IB is.
Who knows maybe time will tell and the film will grow to improve with time,but as i had no expectations of what to expect from the experience All that i came away with from the film was a feeling of disapointment and thats a first for me with QT.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

rawshark wrote:Got to say, I fall in to the 'not overly impressed' camp with Inglourious Basterds, which is a shame as I really did want to like it..

The first scene is great, nicely tense and happy to take it's time with some lovely dialogue, but from then on in the film falls into being a film for film's sake, and I am personally getting a bit tired of QT's endless homages and knowing winks to the audience.

Brad Pitt is a bit naff in all honesty, and I just cannot take Eli Roth seriously at all. The script is all over the place (is there any real point in introducing the English contingent at all?), and, dare I say it, the film lacks any real sense of 'fun'.

Having said that, there are moments to enjoy - the scene with the playing cards in the basement bar is great, and Morricone's Revolver score in the projectionist booth is inspired (even though it is just another knowing wink to the audience).

Overall, for me, it's overlong and overindulged - and for the first time ever, QT has made a film that I have no desire to ever watch again... 2 Stars.

Also saw A Perfect Getaway over the weekend, and although flawed and similar to the superior Surveillance I still enjoyed it... 3 Stars
Totally agree with all of the above - begrudgingly so as I normally love QT's efforts! :-)
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

brad1000 wrote:i just saw a movie called the cradle will fall..renamed from baby blues...very well made but very disturbing.anyone else seen it??

peace
Yeah nasty little film was spoiled by the ending. No way would any father figure forgive her for what the mother had done and certainly would not let them come back to live with him and the son. That would not happen and ittotally let down what was a nasty but watchable film that just pushes the boundries of decency very close to the bone.

The mother is very well played and the lad who plays the surviving son also deserves to be mentioned.

Cradle Will Fall = 6.5/10 (higher had it not been for that ending
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

The continuing adventures of Eric Roberts see him come to piss poor The Alternate. Now i cant remember where we last left our Eric but things must have been rough as hes now getting work as a freelance tough guy for the CIA.

Rubbish attempts at cool dialogue and even worse action set scenes - make this a real chore. It even stoops so low as to have a female assailant try to kill our man with sharpened lipstick! Sharpened with her very teeth ill have you know.
Micheal Madsen tries to muscle in on Erics cool by not even bothering to take off his sunglasses when looking through binoculars. But i wonder if Madsen was even really awake when he shot this.

The film has the most irritating villain who just doesnt seem to have any clear idea yet his plans keep working. As for Ice T? well thankfully he is incapacitated before the 20 mins mark.

Shed no tears for Roberts though as he wanders off camera escaping this celluar spew, as he will return in Star 80 soon enough.

The Taking of Pelham 123 original. Fairly snappy and quirky as hell in the snippets of humour. Plot wise i much prefer the remake but this is a mighty good flick regardless.

Perfect Getaway is no masterpiece by any means but its a reasonably good movie. Its just so screamingly obvious from the outset who is who.
The photography is crisp and sharp and the performances mostly good. Mila is better here than in the Res Evils, but the stand out is Olyphant. In fact as i knew who was going to be who before the 10 min mark its him that saved this movie for me. His performance is reminiscent of Billy Zane at times and theres a great Bad Taste head related style moment in the films final act involving him.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

Last night we watched Noroi which was a little slow to start but got better as the film went on. The DVD said its suitable for all ages but I know for a fact I wouldnt let a kid watch it! Very creepy in places.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i recently picked up a bunch of laserdiscs so working my way through them steadily with Maniac Joe Spinell is chilling in this very gory movie,not one for the squeamish and would play well with dont go in the basement.
Stephen Kings Thinner which was a richard bachman novel,a gypsy curse is placed on a man and he has to try to remove it before he dies,really good effects,very much like drag me to hell,only this was done many years earlier,worth tracking down if you can find it.
thats it so far the darkman trilogy to come and harley davidson & the marlboro man too.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

I remember seeing Thinner one night on late tv when I was going through my "read and watch every Stephen King thing" phase. Freaked the crap out of me. I remember it showing with the Drew Barrymore one (small child, scary cat, thing in the wall of her bedroom??)
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Thats Cats Eye. Still one oy my fave King related movies. Along with the underrated Silver Bullet.

The Darkness Beyond. A frankly coma inducing hour long italian thing. Shot on video its some kind of Lovecraft inspired tale. Might have been interesting if it had featured this Army of the Insane that a radio newscast refers to in the early scenes. yawn
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"