films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Saw 6 - Better then 5 or Saw 4.5 as i would call it!

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

Last 2 weeks or so:

The Corner episodes 1 and 2 - Really like it, more bleak then The Wire, I found it quite depressing to see how drugs can ruin lives.

Razorback - Good old giant pig fun. Enjoyed this so much more then Pighunt. Looking forward to see Chaw now, Korean giant pig movie. Can't find it anywhere with subs yet.

Hybrid - Fred Olen Ray low budget cheesy sci fi monster fun. Not his best but still ok.

Cheerleader Ninjas - Good fun, although trying too hard to be funny at times. Still the giant robot fight at the end was absolutely craptastic, and the use of blow up dolls instead of stuntmen was great too .

Robot Jox - ok giant robot battle movie.

Shy Spirit - Ok Chinese ghost comedy, not weird enough for me I guess.

Rusted body - Japanese exploitation sexy torture stuff. Nothing too special.

Sukeban boy - From the director of Machine Girl, only 1 hour long but boy that was all it needed! Some boy with attitude problems gets kicked out of school so his dad makes him dress as a girl and sends him to a girlsschool. Here he becomes pretty populair and has all these groups of (mostly topless) ninja;s and other weirdo's after him. Add a little incest, gore, bodyparts turning into machine guns, and you've got yourself some great whacky Japanese entertainment.

Videodrome - Liked it but not sure I completely got it.

Shaolin vs Vampire - rare Gordon Liu flick, some good fights, some good jokes, hopping vampires, money well spent!

Vixen - Vixen is a racist little slapper!

The Slit-mouthed woman - the J-horror one, not the J-sexy one. Thought it was ok, nothing too special. Seen em a lot more creepy (Noroi was probably the creepiest Japanese horror I've seen this year)

Chess matrix boxing - have this as part of some boxset under the name 'Labyrinth of death', and WTF this was some of the craziest martial arts fantasy stuff since the Peachboy movies! Awesome!

Paranormal activity - boring shite.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Jennifer's Body

Post by Dom »

Jennifer's Body
I really liked it.

I'd write something new but sod it, here's the review I posted on the Empire website:
This is Amanda Seyfried's film. Yes Megan Fox and Diablo Cody will be grabbing the headlines but if the role of Needy had been in any way annoying or laughable this film would have sunk without a trace. Thankfully Seyfried is a safe pair of hands to give this job to and she carries it off with aplomb.

A welcome alternative to the waste of space Saw franchise. Well written, well acted, nicely shot flick that is actually about something with a sprinkling of gore to finish it off. Nothing over the top but enough to satisfy gore hounds and unsettle the uninitiated.

The soundtrack is cool too.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Wishmaster 2 - I remember watching the first one years ago and quite enjoying it. Sadly, I can't say the same for the second. Awful f/x and a really really terrible performance from Andrew Divoff. I think there were another couple made after this. My wish is never to have to sit through them !

Rogue - Looks great, builds up the tension nicely and delivers a satisfying climactic battle. On the downside though, there are too many survivors ! Any giant crocodile film that assembles around 10 characters on a mudflat in the middle of nowhere should by my reckoning see at least 8 of them at least a leg short by the end no? Still, I'd say its well worth a Lovefilm pick.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

mamawaldi wrote:Wishmaster 2 - I remember watching the first one years ago and quite enjoying it. Sadly, I can't say the same for the second. Awful f/x and a really really terrible performance from Andrew Divoff. I think there were another couple made after this. My wish is never to have to sit through them !
They really go downhill in the 3rd one when Divoff has left. The fourth one is some kind of weird romantic comedy where the Wishmaster has to learn the meaning of love.
"The suspect is armed with a machete in one hand, and his genitals in the other."
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

My halloween festivities kicked off on the friday with Trick r Treat on BR,really enjoyed this movie,the looks the way its shot and the little twists really make this a great movie shafted by the studio but at least we can all see it now.
The Hills Run Red,i loathed this,from the moment the guy starts to do his talk to the camera it runs into mundane run of the mill nauseating rubbish,its trying to say something,but the subject matter is so poor not one i would recommend Bill Sadler is wasted, the baby face character isnt interesting and the twists arent even interesting enough to make you feel suprised if i had seen this at FF i would have walked out half way through sometimes life is too short so from bad to worse with Staunton Hill sold on the back of Cameron Romero,but its a duff movie,where a group of folks end up in a community,where a couple of folks who belong in the TCM have a retard killing folks,not one to recommend but at least it got made.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Just rewatched Repo Man, that i last saw when i was far too young to get it.
It's a mental little classic, and well worth 99p on pristine vhs- i love charity shops.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Alex Cox has just completed a low-budget sequel Repo Chic - early reports say its absolutely terrible :(
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

sherbetbizarre wrote:Alex Cox has just completed a low-budget sequel Repo Chic - early reports say its absolutely terrible :(
Oh no.
Oly
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Oly »

1. Coming Soon (Japan) - Not good.
2. Hansel and Gretel (South Korea) - Beautiful movie, art work, actors, story, direction, everything on place.
3. Vinyan (French for Americans) - Waste of time! After "Ordeal" this? Shame.
4. Abandoned (Russian-USA) - Interesting, not great, but I did not regret watching the movie. Nice decour.
5. Fermant's room (Spanish) - Hillerious what Spanish writers consider intelligent! I had matematishan next to me and he was laughing from time to time about their tasks. They were suposed to be for deeply inteligent ones but he told me that all those taksk were jokes for children not for grown ups who finished math.
6. Alice (Czech)- Jan Svankmajer's one of his best (Not as good as his brilliant "Little Otik" but the best "Alice" that I have ever seen). Not for everyone. If you are not familiar with Svankmajer's work then look for something else like "Little Otik".
7. Dying Breed (Australian) - Well... nothing.
8. Murder loves killers (USA) - Oh, this should be seen all over! I think that the budget was 50 dollars for those doors and that was it, but if you can pass TV look of the movie and uneven direction, and you can, you can enjoy it! The opening scene is great. Made me laugh! Very good-natured movie.

PS. If anyone is reading this can you tell me are we supposed to talk only about horror movies here or we can mantoned others also, non-horror ones? Thank you.
Have a lovely day
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Oly wrote:
PS. If anyone is reading this can you tell me are we supposed to talk only about horror movies here or we can mantoned others also, non-horror ones? Thank you.
Its basically a free for all as far as what type of movie you want to discuss.

And i agree "Alice" is fantastic.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Hellride and Choke
neither were brilliant films, but i really enjoyed them both.

Really liked the look of Melvin Junko's 2 week roundup earlier, Robot Jox and Vixen are underated classics, albeit of the trashy variety.
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

That's the only variety as far as I'm concerned :)
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Oly
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Oly »

Ghouldrool, thank you for your answer.
Have a lovely day
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

I sat down to watch Joshua last night and then realised I had bought entirely the wrong film, same title just not the same film.

And the moral of that story is don't do your internet shopping when you are a tad pissed.

Oh and I watched Gingerdead Man last night, trashy, nothing amazing and one of those rarities where I actually enjoyed the second film more.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"