films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: films we just saw

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Get Him to The Greek. Suprisingly amusing. Puff Duff was a corker. Almost better than Russel Brand. Being someone who has never saw/hear Russell Brand perform. Only know of him from the gossip pages. He was very entertaining, almost playing up on his gossip page persona.

At times the film was in danger of getting sentimental but skidded thankfully into daft mode again.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

There really is very little of interest on the big screen at the moment. Iron Man 2 and Prince of Persia are still playing and surely everyone who wanted to has seen them by now?? Still, in need of a genre fix I managed to take in The Collector. An obvious attempt to get a horror franchise up and running with the Saw and Cube influences hanging heavy over it. Still, it was moderately exciting in places despite the fact that there was no discernible reason I could fathom for why the guy had set up these traps all over the house in the first place.....
This is a D-Notice situation
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Yeah but in the next four weeks you got... Predators, Inception, Toy Story 3 AND Splice :D
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

I really enjoyed The Collector!
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

I saw Eclipse last night - it was actually ok... Some of the reviews are touting it as the best one of the 3, I wouldn't go that far, but it certainly wasn't terrible.

One thing that did nark me a little was the sheer amount that happens in the novel that they completely cut out, which made the ending seem really abrupt and out of place (I was expecting so much more to have happened in the 2hr 15 mins running time).

Kristen Stewart is as unenthusiastic as ever in her portrayal of Bella (the girl that all the boys want, despite a complete lack of personality) and Rob Pattinson was pouting away the entire time, with fewer lines to deliver than ever before. The only main cast member who showed some diverse acting skills was Taylor Lautner (Jacob Black), who also managed to spend 99% of his screentime shirtless :wink:

There's plenty of action and CGI in this film, so if that's your bag and you love a bit of teen angst and a hint of (not entirely correct) vampire mythology thrown in for good measure, then give this one a go...

BTW I'm totally team Jacob! :)
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

Has definitely been the worst summer for blockbusters i can remember, i have no interest in watching sequels to already terrible movies (there hasnt been a funny Shrek movie since, erm, Shrek) and would rather cut off my own face than watch another tedious Twilight movie with shitty CG werewolves and sub, sub, sub-Buffy shenanigans. BUT! The Collector is terrific, Predators will be fun, Inception will be spectacular and very good advance word on Splice. Also great to see such an eclectic choice of movies at the 'fest this year, refreshingly devoid of Hollywood stuff, i am so glad they didnt go for stuff like Let Me In and that the only remake is I Spit On Your Grave. From the look of the line up we're going to get a lot of the kind of mean-spirited, balls-to-the-wall, no holds barred subversive movies that the genre needs so badly after the festering abortion that was the Elm Street remake. Huzzah!
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

lupogirl wrote:Saw Get Him to The Greek. Suprisingly amusing. Puff Duff was a corker. Almost better than Russel Brand. Being someone who has never saw/hear Russell Brand perform. Only know of him from the gossip pages. He was very entertaining, almost playing up on his gossip page persona.

At times the film was in danger of getting sentimental but skidded thankfully into daft mode again.

I totally agree. I enjoyed this so much more than I thought I would. I also enjoyed all the cameos. Esp Puff Daddy, P Diddy, whatever his name is nowadays, and especially Rose Byrne as his Cock-er-knee girlfriend!
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

Last 2 weeks:

Hell comes to Frogtown: Post apocalyptic B goodness with Roddy Piper. Could have done with more action but still pretty cool.

Robogeisha: Expected a lot from this, trailer looked nuts. Turned out they put pretty much all good moments in the trailer and as a whole it was a bit dragging. Still plenty of WTF! moments though.

The Mummy Themepark: Awesome crappy B movie about some dude in Egypt who opens a Mummy Themepark, complete with ressurected mummies. Some very bad acting and terrible special effects. Loved every minute of it!

Not of this earth: Campy sci fi with Traci lords. Plenty of T&A. Good cheap fun.

Jack Frost 2: I absolutely loved the 1st one, so had high expectations for this one. It was bad. Real bad. Fortunately it became so bad it became awesome. The mini snowballs were great and the way they killed them was so stupid it made you wonder what drugs the people that made this were on.

Hard Revenge Milly: J-gore with more blood n guts in 45 minutes then many movies have in 90 minutes. Good stuff.

Hard Revenge Milly 2: Bloody battle: a bit longer and slightly boring in parts but all in all very decent Japanese gore.

Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge: With a title like this it has to be Japanese Some guy falls in love with a girl with superpowers who fights a monsterman with a chainsaw every night. Some cool scenes, pretty weird but not enough action. Too long as well.

Stoner: saw a trailer of this at Frightfest and it looked awesome. It was a bit too long but some great cheesy stuff.

Equaliser 2000: Post apocalyptic supercrap with non stop gun battles and explosions. Saw this years ago and loved it back then. This time around it was a bit repetitive. Guess I should have watched it stoned like the 1st time I saw it.

Opapatika: Thai horror movie with pretty cool fightscenes but very confusing story. Attenpted to watch it 3 times, fell asleep the first 2 times and the 3rd time I turned it off 15 minutes before the end. Just didn';t care anymore.

Phoenix 2: Fred Olen Ray goodness. Some pleasure droids are stolen and smuggled into New Angeles, an underwater city that was built after California and some other states were destroyed by the big earthquake. This droid hunter has to retrieve them which results in lots of crappy action goodness. Liked it.

The Vindicator: Sci Fi B movie in which some scientist gets killed and turned into a cyborg and goes on a killing spree. Not bad.

The Entity: Loved this. Genuinly disturbing in parts. Great stuff.

Creatures from the Abyss: From the same director as Mummy themepark. Some people end up on a boat where they encounter mutated fish, turn in to fish monsters, party and die. Very cheap, very cheesy, very entertaining.

2000 maniacs. Didn't like the remake and it's sequal very much, this was better but still pretty bad.

Satan's slave: Pretty obscure Indonesian horror movie. A bit slow but some cool moments.

Spirited Killer: Tony Jaa's film debut. Bunch of people fight some super killer dude in a Thai forest. hardly any plot, bad acting, bad dubbing, and almost nonstop crappy fightscenes. Needles to say I thought it was great

Spirited Killer 2; Awakened zombie battles: see part 1 but without Tony Jaa. Supernatural touch was a nice addition.

Spirited Killer 3; ghost wars: Even more silly then the first two, still non stop action, shitty action and toilet humor. This whole trilogy was a real treat for anyone who likes shitty martial arts movies.

The Hillside strangler: Thought this was gonna be some by the numbers serial killer flick but it was pretty sick and disturbing stuff.

Vampire Cop Ricky: Korean Horror comedy. A musquito bites Count Dracula in Transylvania, ends up in Seoul after hitting the cockpit window on a plane and bites a cop who then turns into a vampire whenever he gets sexually arroused. Makes sense right? Good stupid fun.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Predators

*breathes huge sigh of relief* Maybe we can forget those AvP films ever existed now?

Within the first five minutes I relaxed - this looks, sounds and feels like a Predator film should. Not a remake or a reboot, it's simply a new installment that the makers view as their own sequel to the original film. Sure, it's a little cliched in parts, but there are one or two nice little twists along the way, it's well paced and there's a good balance between characterisation and action. Some CGI to enhance things but for the most part it's the good old fashioned man-in-a-suit affair which always looks more convincing to me. Brody might seem an odd choice for action hero but he does okay and the rest of the ensemble cast are fine (always good to have Danny Trejo on your team!). What can I say? It's an enjoyable action movie that kept me glued to the screen and that's more than I could have hoped for. I liked it!
First things first, stay calm.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

The Monster Squad, had an urge to re-watch this since seeing a dude in the sleepy queue wearing the "Stephen King Rocks" Tee. Oh the memories of this film, when will they ever release the 20th anniversary 2 Disc edition on R2 :(

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

soulmining wrote:Predators

*breathes huge sigh of relief* Maybe we can forget those AvP films ever existed now?

Within the first five minutes I relaxed - this looks, sounds and feels like a Predator film should. Not a remake or a reboot, it's simply a new installment that the makers view as their own sequel to the original film. Sure, it's a little cliched in parts, but there are one or two nice little twists along the way, it's well paced and there's a good balance between characterisation and action. Some CGI to enhance things but for the most part it's the good old fashioned man-in-a-suit affair which always looks more convincing to me. Brody might seem an odd choice for action hero but he does okay and the rest of the ensemble cast are fine (always good to have Danny Trejo on your team!). What can I say? It's an enjoyable action movie that kept me glued to the screen and that's more than I could have hoped for. I liked it!
So it's Big Gay Muscle Flexing Romp in the Eden Project Part 2?
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Frontier(s) = The French Buzzsaw Massacre

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

PREDATORS- Weighty polished TURD!
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Have to pitch in on the negative camp on Predators, boring and awesomely lacking in ambition and imagination. Say what you like about Predator 2 (and it's very flawed) at least it tried to do something new and expand on the universe. Predators is a dull cover version of the original film and nothing more.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
ZombieCommand
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by ZombieCommand »

Predators isn't super terrible, but it's not actually any good.
Saving you from the zombocalypse one forum post at a time - Zombie Command
Twitter | Facebook