films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
simmie
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: films we just saw

Post by simmie »

The Walking dead
I know i'm a wee bit delayed with this, but due to work and study commitments i was unable to watch the series when it was
on TV, so i purchased it and watched it over the weekend, i must say I was very impressed!!
I thought the attention given to the positive nature given to the final survivours was great, and it was also great to see
a perspective of the 'walkers' when there was no pray to stumble upon, was good, i.e just sitting in car etc etc.
Overall..roll on season two!!!
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Just finished watching Misery, I've not seen this film in so long and I'd forgotten how brilliant the move it. Laced with dark humour, genuine tension and a rather grizzly ending I find this movie to be severely underrated.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

The Beaver

Really enjoyed this, Mel Gibson is back and gives a very emotional performance as a man struggling as a father, husband and boss whilst dealing with his severe depression. It batters every single one of your emotions throughout its running time ut is such a worthwhile watch in a time of year bogged down by big name blockbusters.

Stakeland

Good to see an independent movie on the big screen but this just lost something with me by going down the religious path. I'm not mad on vampire films at the best of times and whilst some people may think this is great, what worked well was let down by an element of the story that didnt need to be there.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Kris wrote:The Beaver

Really enjoyed this, Mel Gibson is back and gives a very emotional performance as a man struggling as a father, husband and boss whilst dealing with his severe depression. It batters every single one of your emotions throughout its running time ut is such a worthwhile watch in a time of year bogged down by big name blockbusters.
Surely you're joking...
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

I've just watched this thing called CUT by the cornrowed guy who's done AIRBORNE. It was awful.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

XMen First Class and Point Blank - both very enjoyable
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Mothers day - enjoyed it a lot but as a movie not great. Script and acting was mostly bad. De mornay was excellent though, all the parts with mother were twisted and pretty fucking funny too.

Le quattro volte - beautiful and really clever for how simple it is. Thought it was going to be really lovely the whole way through but some dark as hell bambi moments.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Went to Transformers 3 last night; it was, perhaps not surprisingly, terrible. I've rambled about it on my blog, far too long to put in here but:

http://streetrw.blogspot.com/2011/06/tr ... -moon.html

(Stuff usually goes on there every couple of days.)
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

But is Transformers 3 as bad as Skyline?

If you like a bit of cheap and cheerful, far-fetched but relevant, science fiction, you could do a lot worse than:

Eyeborgs- Awesome sci-fi supertrash that’s packed full of noisily silly fun and quietly subversive politics. In a near future America where coffee could soon be joining tobacco and alcohol as illegal substances, robotic cameras walk the streets watching everything, justified by the ongoing war on terror. But a series of mysterious deaths soon reveals that the eyeborgs cannot be trusted, and the footage they gather isn’t necessarily what actually happened, perhaps it has something to do with the president who won the computerised election despite being 40% behind in the exit polls? The effects and acting are fairly consistent with the budget and not exactly Oscar winning stuff, but lifted considerably by Danny Trejo’s small part as the Guitar Man, and the big twist reveal before the final firefight had me cackling with childish glee, and I never normally laugh during films. You should watch Eyeborgs, even if only because they’re watching you!

It's not a great film, but it is a charming throwback to the trashy conspiracy theory/robots out of control sci-fi we got a lot of twenty-odd years ago, and may well be a better use of your time and money than the big money popcorn bollocks that has replaced it as the popular face of the genre.

If you don't prefer it to Transformers 3, I'll buy you a pint!
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
Pukka
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pukka »

Charles Band's Puppetmaster Axis of Evil Directed by David Decoteau. I don't need to tell you it's s*** right?

Prey Prefered Pig Hunt Myself. Needed a bit more punch. Infact given it's from France, it's pretty tame.

Have added Eyeborgs to my Lovefilm list, looks a bit tacky :)
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

I didn't think too much of Prey either, and the French are usually so nasty. Mostly I couldn't quite buy the mixture of elite petrochemical business men and down to earth farmers spread across three generations of the same wealthy, but also desperately poor, family. Given that I couldn't suspend disbelief for the simple set up of human characters, it didn't exactly improve when the mad pigs turned up. Gritty does not automatically lead to realism.

Eyeborgs is tacky- but in such a good way. For some reason I have been mostly watching utter trash lately, and generally loving it. The last fortnight or so of self indulgent cinematic self abuse looked like this:

Hydra: The Lost Island is very silly, but moderately fun, The Cross is a weird comic adaptation that actually isn't, well armed but underpolished it has too many players and not enough game, still fun though- even if you're just laughing at Vinnie Jones' "acting" again. Illegal Aliens (Anna Nicole Smith's last movie) is an undiluted waste of time and money and somehow feels ten years older than it is. Age of Heroes is a surprisingly enjoyable WW2 commando romp, despite having both Sean Bean and Danny Dyer on the cast to put posh audiences off. A real blast from the past Blue Thunder is vintage gold that has aged so spectacularly badly it was a hilariously un-high-tec, politically incorrect, delight to watch.

Orcs- They Will Eat your Face Off. is sublime, easy going American supertrash, lots of fun and one of my favourites.

but the best of the bunch comes from Italy, Eaters: Rise of the Dead gory zombie movie with gay neo-nazis, un-death camps, zombie pregnancies and a midget fuhrer! Mischievious, toxic, brain rotting, wonderfully awful Eurotrash- a flashback to the old glory days of excessive Italian zombie flicks. Textbook stuff.
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Cool was kinda torn on Eaters and Orcs but I shall be picking them up. Then again you did recommend Vanguard to me and you're an unashamed lover of ZWOS so maybe I won't!
"The little pissed Welsh tit is here. And pissed"
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Hey! PeterPan, It's been a while, good to see you back on the boards.

If I'm honest I don't reckon you'll like Orcs, and I'm not sure how you'll feel about Eaters either- maybe too trashy for your refined tastes and rigorous standards, and I'm not just an unashamed fan of ZWOS, I'm a proud and evangelical defender of ZWOS, which is a trash masterpiece and one of the most misunderstood, maligned, underwatched and underrated horror films ever made, so watch yourself little guy!

I believe very strongly that bad films, as often as not, make good entertainment. I do also appreciate that most disagree.

See you tomorrow buddy, and we can both get excited about completely different elements of the full FF line up.

ps. I didn't recommend Vanguard to you, I sold it to you. There's a big difference- did you keep the receipt?
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

I am currently hooked on NEKromantic. I really mean hooked - I've seen the darned thing about 5 times over the last few days and frankly very nearly love most of it (excepting the flaccid third section before the 'climax'). I'm forcing myself to mull it over some more before reviewing it properly or even thinking of NEKromantic 2.

And yes, I did find it both utterly fascinating as well as frankly vomit-inducing. My gut reaction was how effective it is, particularly as it wasn't the 'special friend' that woke me up at 2am screaming (giving my other half a near-heartattack), but the small character shown in flashback.

Watched Neighbor until my cheeks went pink ;-)

Watched Grimm Love again because I love the filming style. I'm definitely thinking the Germans have got something there and I would be interested in suggestions in this vein. Strikes me from the few bits I've seen that they seem able to combine a really physical, sexy realism with a wonderful fairytale-esque quality. I'm in love :-)
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

wouldt be suprised if you didnt adore "subconscious cruelty" Karen
the house shot her !!!