films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Well that mystery film thing I went to turned out to be quite cool, but very very brief.

It was the World Premiere Of The Spiderman 3 Teaser Trailer, with a live (via satelite from New York) introduction from Sam Raimi and Thomas Haden Church. They said hi to everyone, made a few jokes, then introduced the trailer. The trailer itself looked fantastic, loads of shorts of the black suit, Sandman, etc. Looks amazing, It only lasts about 90 seconds. Then Rami thanked everyone for coming and they played the trailer again, and that was it, over in less than 10 minutes.

On the way out we each got a £5 VUE voucher, a Spiderman 3 baseball cap and a copy of the trailer on disc in quicktime.

It was a fun event but it was over so quickly, glad I only work a few minutes away from the cinema, as I didn't have to go out of my way to get there. I was chatting to the pople who were sat next to us, they thought they were going to see an entire film, think they were disapointed when they realised it was over so quickly.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

At least you had a taster of what is coming. Looking forward to Spiderman 3. Anything like Spiderman 2 then it will be a corker.

Just change the subject slightly just saw The Lake House.

Thought it was a whimsical film. A enjoyable soppy film with at least 2 songs from Nick Drake. Keanue Reeves is on wooden form and Sandra Bullock was more believeable. Had me reaching for my tissues. I'm big softie and proud of it
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

That all sounds pretty cool, man.

So did they give many plot points away?

Any cool shots?

Is there any particular reason why Spiderman is in a black suit for the third movie?

I think I should get me a job around Leicester square if this kind of stuff goes on...
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Here's a few choice stills I've just grabbed from the trailer:

lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Looks rather good with a Blackclad Spiderman. Just can't beat man in spandex.

Have to have a nose for a trailer
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Majorly knackered after a faintly hectic day in London.

FEARLESS is, indeed, pretty damn good. It doesn't touch HERO, but it's entertaining, viciously violent, with a lot less of the irritating wirework that sees the participants basically defying the laws of gravity (CROUCHING TIGER being a particular offender here). Much of it, particularly in the early scenes, has the feel of those old Shaw Brothers movies, to the extent that I almost felt I was back in the Scala Kings Cross.

SECUESTRO EXPRESS - sorry, but I really didn't like this. Buying a paintbrush doesn't make you Picasso and buying a video camera doesn't make you Tarantino. It's got energy, and it's a slice of life most people are completely oblivious to, but if it hadn't been for subtitles I'd have lost a lot of the dialogue, and I feel a bit queasy about a film where the main female character is under almost constant threat of rape, far more queasy than if she was (only) going to be killed.

X-MEN 3 (THE LAST STAND) - more of the same silly superhero comicbook stuff, really. The first was sort of okay, I didn't like the second, and this one does look like the last in the series, given that half the main characters knock the jamjar over this time out. (Surprised to see Kelsey "Frasier" Grammer painted blue, and Ellen Page, the nutjob from HARD CANDY, as junior mutant love interest.)

The posters are up for DISTRICT 13, which I gather comes out early July at the Trocadero. The Japanese sequel JU-ON: THE GRUDGE 2 also at the Troc but I'm not sure when. REEKER appears to be opening at the Empire Leicester Square.

And that was more or less it, apart from a few CDs and Mars bars purchased, a long wander round Leicester Square where I completely failed to be approached by anyone recruiting test screening audiences, and meeting Imajica in the Cinema Store. Which was nice.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

lupogirl - have you seen the original film, Siworae/Il Mare? Apparently has a more satisfying conclusion and rather less in the woodenness quotient :wink:

So far this week have watched The Ice Harvest (decent noir, spoiled slightly because I watched the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang less than a week previous and it just can't compare) and Courtney Cox low-key flick November. At times it seems like it wouldn't have been out of place at Frightfest, but it's so intent on ambiguity that potentially most people will give up even before the end of its brief 78 mins. Very stylish (despite one or two drops into self-indulgent artiness) and Courtney Cox is actually pretty good as a woman trying to make sense of her fractured reality following her boyfriend being shot in a convenience store robbery. Being short, it winds up having to rely on some unoriginality, but it is at least told in a unique way - so more a rental than a purchase, especially as the UK version is entirely bereft of extras (at least the US has two commentaries and a conversation between the director and visual coordinator)

Up tonight - time for some cheese - Brian Yuzna's Rottweiler!
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

rottweiler is finally out then?

i must say i was mightily impressed with Fearless tho i think it shouldnt have been marketed as some kind of successor to Hero or House of Flying daggers -of the three Daggers is my fave, and as far as Hero is concerend i really dislike what the West has done to it with regards to the translation... i recommend only the extended chinese cut

interestingly Fearless tells the "true" story of the Wushu master that Bruce lee seeks to avenge in Fist of Fury... though i reckon some revisionism has been done here to deflect any anti -japanese sentiment..then again maybe not...

it did have an old style Kung Fu movie feel to it but rather than some seventies shaw bro hey day flick i was reminded more of the late 80s/early 90s Once upon a time in China movies..quite fitting that Jet Li's final martial arts movie be about a Wushu master (for info Wushu is Li's discipline i believe)

in fact the film made me wish Bey Logan was still running Impact magazine
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I just saw that all the Frightfest label DVDs are on sale for £6.99.

I don't have any of them or know much about them, and was wondering which is the best one and why out of

Tears of Kali
Malefique
Eyes of Crystal

Or should I just get them all?

What do you all suggest?
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Hi STun

Didn't you seen Malefique at FrightFest? It's the only one I've seen. Price tag not bad. Still waiting for The Roost to come out as I'd won a copy of it at Twitchfilms.netmonths ago.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

STuns first FF event was the league of gents day last year so he missed malefique

malefique is the only one of those shown at FF so most will recomment malefique... it seems dead meat is missing from the sale though

anyway.. the reason im posting is that The Roost is now meant to be out in a couple of weeks... the artwork is confirmed too
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Where are they on sale for £6.99 then?

I'd recommend Malefique, that's a decent little film... have watched Tears Of Kali but didn't like it... haven't seen Eyes Of Crystal yet but is supposed to be pretty good, so will probably pick that one up...
First things first, stay calm.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

They're on sale at Play.

Dead Meat is also part of the offer too.

Good news about The Roost finally coming out as I really enjoyed that one at last years fest.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Dunno when Rottweiler is out in the UK by the way, it's an R1 DVD I've had sitting on my shelf more or less since its US release almost a year ago!
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."