films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:51 pm

All that review shows is that if you go into a film determined not to like it and with a hatred of the makers and already-advertised features and story, you won't like it - shock horror! Did anyone really expect I would actually enjoy Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift after my comments on its predecessors? :wink:
Who decided we needed yet another film about a hot chick in tight fetish gear wiping out legions of faceless bad guys? In the future? With vampires? This particular genre has been done to death
Er, someone want to list me some of these legions of films? They probably want to invite comparison with Aeon Flux (where were the vampires?) and Underworld (not in the future) but a you can't create a genre from a lone pair of "2 out of 3 ain't bad" vague similarities!

Please note I'm not trying to pick at you, Soulmining, the Unlimited cards mean many peeps on here will be watching films they would have avoided otherwise :) and this is a thread specifically for personal opinions of movies! But when there is such a deliberate ignorance of any kind of objectivity or professionalism masquerading as a proper review like that on DVD Times it really gets my goat - what next, he lambasts The Little Polar Bear 2 for "not having gritty enough dialogue"? :wink:
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."

soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:37 pm

No offence taken Andy :) That's exactly right about the Unlimited cards, I am definitely less choosy about what I see. Having said that, I will go and see something with an open mind, even if the advance word is bad... I like to make up my own mind, and sometimes seeing a flawed / bad film can be just as enjoyable as a five star film, but for different reasons. It certainly sparks great post-film discussion, and I'd much prefer that to a safe, bland movie that I feel no reaction to.

I guess I smiled at the DVD Times review simply because he wrote exactly what I felt about the film, with regards to the plot inconsistencies, the poor effects and the stupid fight scenes. You're right about the genre comment though, I think he was just lumping all those types of film together for convenience's sake.
First things first, stay calm.

AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:00 pm

Will be watching it later myself - will see, as someone who really liked Equilibrium, how disappointed I end up :wink:

Still, having just finished watching Rottweiller there's a danger I will be too generous out of pure comparison :lol:

Will post thoughts on both later :)

soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:09 pm

Excellent, I shall look forward to that!

The only other person I know who's seen it is a mate of mine who bought the Region 1 DVD unseen... he's very disappointed now. :cry:

ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:14 pm

i doubt it can reach the rancid bowel movementyness and all round emetic nature of Faust Love of the Damned

which was hilarious.. even in the making of featurette you can see they know they are making total shit
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"

AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:08 pm

Funny you should mention that, amongst the interviews on the DVD of Rottweiler the cinematographer mentions how he is aspiring to Faust :shock:

Well, I didn't get to see Ultraviolet tonight so will just comment on Rottweiler. Now while I kinda agree in principle with the above opinion of Faust I found it ultimately hilarious, which with the bountiful gore makes it one of those Saturday night guilty pleasures for me to laugh myself stupid at. If only Rottweiler had any of those qualities...

OK, well, there's the plot. An implausibly-jawed convict called Dante escapes and is chased by a rottweiler with metal teeth and glowing blue eyes. Oh, he's looking for his girlfriend who he got separated from, which is told through flashback. Oh, and he appears to have random hallucinations of dead people too. Oh, and he gets naked for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Seriously, watching the film you get the impression of someone telling a long joke badly - the "oh, I forgot to say earlier..." element is constant and irritating. The acting is as bad as can be expected, although sometimes worse. And you know the really really annoyingly stupid character, the one who only seems to get other people killed (so the audience will cheer when he/she gets a really nasty death)? Well, unfortunately that's our hero in this film... oh look! Someone hurt the dog by shooting through a door! I'll take the gun and shove it right through that hole at dog-mouth height... :roll:

At times you get the potential of great comedy - an entire set piece where Dante cannot defend himself properly or move because the belt of his trousers is stuck on a wall hook (I shit you not) - but the film takes itself so seriously you wind up nearer tears...

None of the titular Rottweiler's victims seem that scared, though it's not too surprising when the times they use an actual dog it's quite clearly actually a fairly cute looking and friendly dog with bad fake teeth and make-up effects painted on. Half the reason for the glowing blue eyes seems to be that without them it's clear to see that Zeus (the dog actor) is, like most Rottweilers (in spite of the stereotype, which is down to training) a big softie. In fact, there are three things true of all Rottweilers, only one of which is in any way acknowledged in the film: that they are extremely loyal, impressively intelligent and insanely soppy! Anyway, when the real dog isn't used (for attacks mainly, the behind the scenes footage shows Zeus was more interested in licking and drooling over the actors and eating the fake blood) the radio-controlled dog doesn't really bear much resemblance and the puppet is more like Triumph the Wonder Dog... and the less said about the Rottinator CGI (which ironically manages to contradict the scenes describing the reason for any metal dog elements) the better!

But at least the gore is good, right? Er, it looks like summer fruits pudding for the most part, which is probably why Zeus was so interested in eating it... the fake blood is OK and there's plenty splashed about, but a horror film of this kind with no idea even of decomposition?

Too mean-spirited to be as funny as this all probably sounds, this really is the worst Fantastic Factory release I have seen and totally lacking in any B, C or Z movie charm. Such a shame...

streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:42 pm

Just got back from Half Light, which isn't nearly as much of a genre piece as I'd expected. I'd gathered it was a ghost story in the vein of the recent The Dark, but it turned out quite different, though in hindsight it wasn't that surprising. Overall it's not too bad, although the big plot twist I guessed well in advance, and the music score is a bit too lush and romantic. A bit too girly for my taste.

lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:00 pm

Got back from seeing Pretty Persuasion

Interesting high-school based black comedy story. James Wood was rather good. Like 'The Dude' of The Big Lebowski but more demented.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"

soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:55 pm

I really want to see Pretty Persuasion but it doesn't seem to be playing down here at all.. :(

I did see Reeker again yesterday and managed to watch it sober this time... much better!

Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:00 pm

Over the last 2 days I've had the good fortune to see both Superman Returns and Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

Superman is by the far the better of the two, it's really amazing. Singer has pulled off something fantastic here in that he's made it very much a Bryan Singer film, but it also fits perfectly with the previous Christopher Reeve entries. His masterstroke is to use John Williams’s classic score, the moment you hear it starting up just sends shivers down your spine. It's just such a great film on so many different levels, it's long but doesn't drag at all. Some really fantastic sequences, particularly the plane rescue.

Unfortunately Pirates 2 is very disappointing, it’s not bad as such, just a real let down, and far too long. The story is so convoluted and involves so many different characters that I just became lost after about 30 minutes. It just feels like a load of different sequences strung together with very little plot. Plus it’s much darker than the first, has a very different tone. Like I said, it’s not terrible, but just could have been so much better.

There’s nothing at the end of the Superman credits, I was hoping for a little line saying Superman Will Return, but there’s nothing. However there is a very short scene after the credits for Pirates, it’s not a trailer for Pirates 3, it’s a very short funny scene, not essential to see, but I was glad I stayed.

lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:52 pm

I heard that Superman Returns will be showing at the IMAX as there is 20mins of it is in 3D. Think I will be popping along to see it there.

Shame about the Pirates being not as good as the 1st. I wil be seeing this weekend.

Shame that Reeker is showing at the Empire. Which is a bit pricey!! :cry:

Hoping on Friday it will be show elsewhere. 8)

ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:03 pm

for cineworld goers Reeker has been showing at West India Quays.. and will still be there next weekend .. along with District 13!!!!
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"

lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Thanks for that!! :lol:

streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:57 pm

It's a thin week this next week. PIRATES 2 is taking up most of the screen space and unless you've got more than 10 screens, you're not getting much else. (DISTRICT 13 is only on at my secondmost-local with 16 screens.)

I hear my DVD player crying at me through underuse. Must make amends.

ScreamQueen
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ScreamQueen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:58 pm

Alex, I wasn't that impressed by Superman Returns. Sure, it's visually stunning (nothing really that 'special' these days) but I found it more style over substance... Just not very much happened, really. The auditorium crackled with anticipation though, and yeah, the score felt like 'coming home'.

I did like that Routh plays Reeves playing Superman. It made him familar. I commented as much (discreetly, natch) as the film went on and muttered 'all he needs to is this,' and indicated the way he pushes his glasses as Clark back onto his face with his finger. Lo and behold, I wasn't disappointed :D Spacey also ably pulls off Luther.

I'll defiantely watch the next one (how can there *not* be another with that ending?) but hope for that something intangible more.