films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Also saw A Night to Remember on DVD.

A thoroughly enjoyable film about the sinking of the Titantic. Great script, Excellent acting. Worth a watch. Lots more drama and no Celion Dion in sight. Soooo much better than the epicfest of James Cameron.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I did another double bill this evening, both films pleasantly surprising:

Stormbreaker was James Bond lite really, but good fun. Some top notch casting with Evan McGregor, Bill Nighy, Andy Serkis (didn't realise it was him until the end), Stephen Fry and Robbie Coltrane all putting in appearances, and I'm always happy to see Mickey Rourke working even if every role he does these days seems to be some over-the-top make-up wearing whacko! And there was a giant jellyfish, so more tentacle action.

The Break-Up was a romantic comedy without the romance... actually managed to be funny but had some quite serious, melancholic moments too. Probably the best thing I've seen Jennifer Aniston in and she worked really well with Vince Vaughn. Again, some a good supporting cast too. Could have perhaps been even more adult in tone (although not as abrasive as Closer) and am glad it steered away from the done-to-death gross out sketches.
First things first, stay calm.
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

Just saw 'Warrior King' and 'Stay Alive'.
I must say I don't think I've ever seen a more poorly put together film on the big screen than Warrior King, the editing, story, acting and structure were truely appalling, that said... it was an enjoyable film, the bad points just add a few much needed laughs!

Stay Alive was fantastic, I loved it! Frankie Muniz didn't even drive me insane! It's a good old scary romp - not the most original film ever (the working title must have been 'The Ring 3 : Computer Games Killed the Video Star') but great fun! + There was a lady there by herself who must have been in her seventies! RAD! I hope I'm still off to see Horror at that age... do we have any 'mature' members here??

ALSO... 'Little Fish' is out on a fairly limited release, saw that last week, it's superb if you're into the family drama genre!
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

I saw stay alive and loved it too!!!!

Alot of people told me it was gonna be terrible but it made me jump, was pretty inventive and actually pretty scary in places.

The burn looked realistic too but I shan't say any more about that!
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

Trixy, good to hear you're also easily pleased with cheap thrills!!
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Miami NICE

Post by ghouldrool »

cheap thrills are the best

just got back from Miami Vice, ok so its not the hyper fashion concious TV show of yesteryear.. but this is also not the crisp and clean visuals Michael Mann of yester year...

this continues the rough HD camera work from Collateral, nothing is glamourised here... the shot outs are gritty and nifty, the sound is fantastic... neither farrell or foxx are particularly engaging but this is a film that hits the ground running, it drops in on everyone n the middle of a day at work and ends pretty much the same way...its not a piece for long monolgues or over done personal vendettas although it skims dangerously close towards the end
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Looking forward to Miami Vice..

We had our latest ZC last night, with a special selection from Jay Slater (author of Eaten Alive) and film director Sean Hogan...

Jay brought along the European premiere of Bruno Mattei's The Jail (A Women's (sic) Prison) and Sean brought an excellent Japanese pinku film from 1974 called Zero Woman.

There were also lots of glimpses from such films as Geordie Star Wars, Turkish Star Wars, Turkish Wizard of Oz, Calamity of Snakes, Codfish (a must-see!) and the ultra-rare If Footmen Tire You, What Will Horses Do?...

Aah, b-movie nights.. You can't beat them...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

lupogirl wrote:...Superman Returns. Saw this at the IMAX with 20 minutes of it in 3D.
Same here. But, sat in row C (someone else booked) and the 3D just didn't work... we were too close to the screen. Even the 2D was pretty compromised. So... sit towards the back.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Rawshark, that was a top night's entertainment and you didn't even mention the wonderfully titled Eat The Schoolgirl! I gotta track down a copy of Zero Woman now, that was awesome... although morally questionable.

Saw Miami Vice tonight... you can't fault Michael Mann's direction, the film looks amazing (as always) and Farrell and Foxx are fine... but I found it very laborious and slow, with hardly any action - even the shootout scene was dealt with swiftly. Will open strongly (cinema was packed) but think the drop off will be high once word of mouth gets round - our group were all a bit disappointed, and any casual viewers expecting a modern makeover of the original series will be left very puzzled.
First things first, stay calm.
Dvdscot
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Dvdscot »

Yesterday I saw:

District - Nyocker, hungarian animation comedy, cool.
Scared, Thai Slasher, bloody.
Shadowless Sword, Swordsplay Martial Arts from Korea, very good.
See no Evil (Frightfest Film), very good brutal shlock slasher, was the highlight, you're gonna like it. :)
Behind the Mask (Frightfest Film), not my cup of tea, 60 minutes documentary, 30 minutes slasher, although it was a spoof, but I prefer it the other way.

Today I'll watch "Them - Ils", tomorrow it will be Blood Trails, Isolation and H6.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

soulmining wrote:I did another double bill this evening, both films pleasantly surprising:

The Break-Up was a romantic comedy without the romance... actually managed to be funny but had some quite serious, melancholic moments too. .

Just come back from The Break Up. Not your run of the mill romantic comedy. Vince Vaughn I thought was rather enjoyable like always. Jennifer Aniston was surprisingly good. Agree with Soulmining about melancholic moments. Not a bad film
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

jonbly wrote:
lupogirl wrote:...Superman Returns. Saw this at the IMAX with 20 minutes of it in 3D.
Same here. But, sat in row C (someone else booked) and the 3D just didn't work... we were too close to the screen. Even the 2D was pretty compromised. So... sit towards the back.
Oooh no!!! I was in Row K in the middle section and luckilly had a good view with the 3D. Should say this for the 12 o clock showing in the morning.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Saw Warrior King last night. Generally quite good, with some excellent combat sequences. What's particularly impressive about them is that they run with minimal editing - one goes for several minutes without a cut! And the fight in the burning temple is stunning. I don't think it quite reaches the peaks of Ong-Bak's madness, but it's really worth seeing.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

watched nacho libre and harsh times last nite (see ferryman thread) and finally caught up with superman tonight.
having heard such mixed word on this i went in with open mind
loved the theme the williams score brought a tingle to me spine (the old cinematic orgasm er...i could go on but won't), loved the flying fx, loved the space shuttle sequence, thought the acting was ok by chris..oh the new kid, end of good points.. too long, terrible story, no great ending, too long, some patchy acting and you know what im gonna repeat
judging by critical and box office response no sequel and unlike batman, i realised while watching it that actually supes is a dull character
but i LOVE the orig movie and lots of no2 , ignore no 3 and burn no 4 please!
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Seen chunks of Ant Bully at work the past coupla days, seems nice easygoing (and very prettily animated) fun for families mainly... some are saying they like it more than Cars because of the latter's flabby pacing for the first hour (runs 121 mins compared to Ant Bully's 89) and shoved-down-your-throat-till-you-puke lecturous moralising, although I wouldn't go quite that far from what I have seen - fun, but not great.

Thing that stands out most (other than the huge names involved - produced by Tom Hanks and voiced by Nic Cage, Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep, Paul Giamatti, Lily Tomlin) is how much the entire film is stolen by scout ant Fugax in every scene he appears - voiced by one certain Mr. Bruce Campbell...

:)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."