films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Argh! Trying to avoid reading all the comments on Pulse until tomorrow when I'll hopefully check it out... might see Talledega Nights too as it's previewing.

Yesterday I saw Little Miss Sunshine which was pretty good - bit of a slow starter, but got better and better as it went along and had a really satisfying conclusion... also Right At Your Door which was a pitbull of a movie, just grabbed and wouldn't let go. I so desperately wanted to go pee but didn't want to miss a minute of the action... Reminded me a little of the underrated gem Last Night in that it was about a huge event but just focused on a select few characters caught up in it... as horrifying as anything I saw at the last FF and would def. recommend to you all.

Rawshark has also just published an interview with the director and actor Rory Cochrane on EMB: http://www.eatmybrains.com/showfeature.php?id=54
First things first, stay calm.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Just got back from Crank. Quite entertaining, with a nice pair of central characters and some extremely funny moments, but I don't like this hyper-hyper You-Will-Be-Excited editing; for me it tends to have the opposite effect.
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

O M Frickin' G!!! rawshark got to meet Rory Cochrane... O M frickin' G
He is my God, he is the greatest actor alive, I am sooo jealous! It's a pity the two latest films he's been in haven't really been the greatest cause it could have been a good time for him careerwise, but instead I think he'll continue going under the radar. (maybe not such a bad thing) rawshark, if you read this, what was he like, I kinda figure he's the coolest dude out there.... or the biggest ass??!?! can you tell us which?... will finish drolling over celebrity NOW!!!

Saw Snow Cake, beautiful, exquisite, sad, hilarious film. Wonderfully acted! If you like the old 'laughing through tears' thing, this is the film for you. OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR. Think this is the best film of the year for me... so far.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I've always liked Rory Cochrane since he was in Dazed And Confused (my all time fave movie) and remember he was pretty good value in Love And A .45 and Empire Records too...

Snow Cake - isn't that directed by Marc Evans who gave us My Little Eye? Good to see him branching out into other genres...
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

Yeah, Dazed is def. a great film (wore out 3 VHS copies in my [misspent] youth) & probably Rory's best.

Didn't realise My Little Eye director did Snow Cake, quite a step up!
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Rory was cool... Just sat and smoked cigarette after cigarette, and spoke.. very.. slowly....

If you like, you can see the video footage we took during the interview. I haven't edited it down yet (been far too busy this week), so as long as you can put up with my low volume questions in the background (to be replaced by text in the final version), you can watch the 10-minute interview at the link below..

It's about 25mb..

http://www.eatmybrains.com/others/right ... _small.mov
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Also - just found Empire's interview with CG and RC..

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews_ ... sp?IID=574

Reckon EMB did a better job, personally speaking.
Especially when we get the video footage up... :D
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

Went to see Talladega Nights last night, due to my love of trashy girly mags producing 2 free tickets....... and I loved it. Ok, Ferrell is a little too much, even by his own over the top standards, and there's some parts that aren't that good. But Sacha Baron Cohen makes a great frenchman, and I defy anyone not to squirm at the knife scene, was actually worse than some of the dtuff from FF weekend!

Well worth a watch, and the outtakes on the end credits are great fun too!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

So... yes, what was all that ghosts-in-the-washing-machine all about in Pulse, eh? And... don't forget about the one hiding behind the bookcase at the beginning who got Josh... had he escaped from a laptop in the library and gone off to find a book to read perhaps? All very silly... but otherwise not a bad looking film, although those two scenes of plot exposition were very forced and cringe-making! Not the worst Japanese remake though.

Talladega Nights was okay, had some fun moments, but the cast seemed to think it was a lot funnier than it actually is. And did Sacha Baron Cohen base his performance on the policeman in 'Allo 'Allo? Preferred Anchorman...
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Maybe it was an eBook? Groan...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Sarah of the Dead »

otherwise not a bad looking film

Except for the blue/green filter and the bad editing. :p
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

The Black Dahlia, ok this kind of lost me at several points due its dull pacing and rambling plot.. the murder being pretty much just a MacGuffin. its a good enough cast although they are just the wrong side of bland when compared to the cast of the other Ellroy adaptation. its labyrinthine but the points dont come together convincingly.. with the final scenes relying on a leap of deduction worthy of a TV detective

The killing itself is apprently based on a real unsolved murder so this is the hollywood equivalent of those Jack the Ripper movies that try to pin the blame on whoever their story finds it convienient to place it on. The finale is a bunch of hoary old whodunnit revelations that we have seen before... less said about fiona shaws acting the better. there are two moments of rather icky gore as well

supposedly the victim is a look a like of hilary swank, but when shes played by the heart breakingly gorgeous mia kirshner the "she looks like me" plot point is redundant....stick with LA Confidential

the sentinel ok yet more generic plot to kill the president guff. its like a cross between The Negotiator and In the Line of fire, without any of the grandstanding performances those films had. Douglas is functional, basinger is still desirable, Eva Longoria is largely pointless and keifer sutherland IS Jack Bauer and that is ALWAYS good. watch when on Sky Movies or ITV

Hollow man 2, yay some unchallenging straightfoward b movie junk, its an acceptable sequal shot for obviously much less money and apart from Slater anonymous actors it passes the time easily but like The Sentinel you get the sense youve seen this stuff before... though two invisible men fighting in the rain was quite an idea and the first 10 or so minutes are actually quite creepy
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Sarah of the Dead »

Talladega Nights was a lot funnier than I thought it would be. :D It's also the first non-horror movie I've watched in ages.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

BLACK DAHLIA's not too bad. I rather liked it. It's not De Palma at his OTT best but there are some lovely moments and shots that couldn't be anyone but him. It's more straight noir than straight de Palma, but (I wish he'd do another Hitch hommage and go bananas with it like with RAISING CAIN, and get back with Pino Donaggio for the music. Thsi is involving, but a bit slow to start (I could have done without a lot of the boxing stuff in the first reels).

And THE RISE AND FALL OF IDI AMIN is quite interesting. It's not quite the lip-smacking exploitation movie I'd expected after the Trailer Trash showing, but as a picture of an absolute maniac given unfettered power it's surprisingly good. I'm a sucker for anything set and/or shot in Africa (it was filmed in Kenya), so there was no way I'd absolutely loathe this one. All the shock-horror trailer moments - the heads in the fridge, the cannibalism and the casual, pointless slaughter of thousands - are in there, plus that giggle that put the FF audience into hysterics. It ends a bit abruptly though.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Had a double bill:

Finally seen the Pulse it was surprisingly enjoyable. Glad it kept the bleakness of things. Some rather good shots of the schoolyard and the ominous building.

A couple of creepy moments and not ruined by the music. I probably get lynched for this. I thought it was more enjoyable than the original.

Both versions had their own take. The original one was to me about dying alone and this version about internet and mobile phones taking over over lives in every sense of the word.

The washing machine scene seemed a bit strange with no computer in sight.

Have to say it was a lovely surprise to see Brad Dourif. Like always with those mad eyes!!!

Also saw The Queen. Again another very enjoyable film. Some lovely countryside scenery. Both Helen Mirren and Michael Scheen were amazing. You really believe the characters. At times moving and quite humourous.

The comments made by certain members of 'The Firm' in the film you do believe they really said that!!!!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"