films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

G.I Joe..... I do believe that's the first time I've gone to sleep at 21:30 and slept through... not sure if I made it to the end or not... :lol:
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Avatar... I'll be honest, those trailers had me worried, but trust Jim Cameron to pull it out of the bag when it matters most. Yes, the plot is a little familiar and cheesy, but it has all the big themes and it will slowly but surely draw you in... the visuals are something else though; the performance capture stuff for the Na'vi is truly remarkable and the photo-real world of Pandora is jaw-dropping. It really does set the benchmark for 3D cinema right now and for any film fan it is quite simply a must-see movie.
First things first, stay calm.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Flick: a horribly overstylised Welsh horror movie in which a zombie teddy-boy stalks his 1960s tormentors from beyond the grave and half a century later, hacking up a variety of familiar British thesps and sitcom veterans. Meanwhile Faye Dunaway (!) turns up as the one-armed cop on the case on a cultural exchange visit from Memphis, against a constant stream of ersatz period songs. Eye-damagingly overcoloured, and shot somewhat in the manner of EC comics, it's ultimately more interesting for the cast (including Liz Smith, Mark Benton and Terence Rigby) than anything else.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw The Box a few days ago. It was entertaining the first half and then got very confusing in the last 20minutes. Really like the idea but shame the end result was sooo confusing. Want to see the Twilight Zone version and see what that one is like.

I can happily say I enjoyed The Box a lot more then Southland Tales!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Command Performace: What in the world has happened to Dolph Lundgren's face? Absolutely terrifying. It sucked, really bad. Too much CGI blood, too much awful music, just so awful.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Last night saw A Christmas Carol - 3D. It was excellent. A great use of 3D with regards to falling snow. The first 10mins of the film i thought I was on a rollercoster. Pretty amazing effect.

Jim Carrey was excellent. Hard to believe the voice was him. Colin Firth and Gary Oldman were rather good as well. Looking at the credits. See Jim Carrey was voicing other characters.

Have to say this film made me feel quite festive!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: films we just saw

Post by Grindhouse »

a double bill last night
2012 a special effects laden disaster extravaganza,which had me gripped to my seat,a really enjoyable apocalypse end is nigh movie, great fun much better than TDAT.
New Moon
keeping the mind open to this one the sequel to Twilight,and i enjoyed it ok so its overlong goes on forever,the character of Bella becomes annoying,the werewolf boys are all buff indians,so much in this one is made of age,its not made really for anyone over the age of 30 but its enjoyable nonsense with cgi wolves,and the sequence of the wolves running to Thom yorke's solo track was played out well.
you just cant help thinking Edward just needs to pop her cherry or just bite her for god sake just do it and get it over with.
but otherwise not bad at all,and i came away from the film feeling suprised that i had enjoyed it.
Terror Train
Even with David Coppefield performing magic tricks in this movie with JLc as her scream queen self,this just fails to entertain so bad it sent me to sleep,a duff tame slasher thats not worth bothering with,the same scenario was played out in jason goes to manhattan and it didnt work for jason either.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

SPOLIER THAN THOU - SPOLIER THAN THOU - SPOLIER THAN THOU

Okay - it's Avatar time. And it's..... well, it's not a masterpiece. Fortunately for all, it's not a disaster either. At 161 minutes it is, let's be honest, too long. The human villains are ridiculously evil corporate-military bastards and the heroes are 12-foot blue-skinned one-with-nature nudie hippies; I didn't ever feel, as some have suggested, that I was in the middle of a videogame - but I did feel I was watching a fully CGI digimation film and for all the Na'vi sequences (ie about thre quarters of the film) there was nothing real about them at all. The effects were terrific, but for that money, they damn well should be. And Cameron does love his military hardware - his robots, gunships, weaponry, helicopters, loaders - as much as he ever did. But the action and battle sequences are pretty good, and the 3D is better than any of the Real-D films we've had thus far (though I tend not to bother with the kids' digimation ones these days). It's worth a look.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Up - adored this. At first I felt that it's not something that I would personally enjoy but it grew on me as the story progressed.

Premonition - as part of my plan not to buy many new dvds untill I had worked through my own collection I stumbled on this which I bought a few years ago. It's far from amazing but the last 20 minutes or so are very good, keeping replaying various deaths and endings, twosting and turning over and over. It's like a grown up version of Final Destination in many ways.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Avatar is a good film but it's average, the fight scenes are involving, it looks stunning but the story was lifted directly out of Disney's Pocahantas and another kids classic Ferngully, it was totally unoriginal and it made me want to watch those two films again.

Good performances all round though :)

Not all the humans were baddy corporate types though.

Mr Mining couldn't understand why I found it so unoriginal but he'd never seen the above kids films and I'm a story person if a story doesn't carry me through the stunning visuals, I'm gonna get bored.

Although the computer game bits were kinda funny... Mr Street, play Halo 2, the opening level... you'll see what folks mean, there were shots of the av getting up, looking at his arms and stuff.. which happens when you take control of similar stuff in games.
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Disney's Pocahontas?

Pocahontas is a proper story, one that existed pre-Disney!

I thought Avatar was awesome.
Some sloppy moments threatened to wrench me out of how engrossed and involved with the incredible CG I was, but it never happened. Luckily.

It jumped straight from my "meh, I'll see it if I can be bothered" list to my Top 10 films of the year list.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Where The Wild Thing Are. Did leave me cold. After the film I thought. Well what happened there then ? Liked the monsters. Thought it be a darker story but did not really enjoy this at all.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

dangerous_jamie wrote:Disney's Pocahontas?

Pocahontas is a proper story, one that existed pre-Disney!
It's not even fictional is it? Or at least its 'based on true events'. She was about 11 in real life when blokey was having his way with her. Disney made it a bit more family friendly and a bit less rapey.

Saw Avatar as well at the weekend. It looked incredible, honestly like nothing I'd ever seen before. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how subtlety they used the 3D, but that might be largely because the only other thing I've seen in 3D was the Star Trek Borg Encounter and Terminator 2: 3D at theme parks. Minor gripes, I thought it was a little over-long, it could have happily clocked in at 2 - 2 1/4 hours and not lost anything, but then I think most films could be helped by shaving 10-15 minutes off them. I also don't buy Sam Worthington as a leading actor, and fear for the Clash of the Titans remake. Still, it was thoroughly enjoyable and I'll hopefully be back a couple more times to see it, as I'm not sure how it'll hold up when watched at home.
"The suspect is armed with a machete in one hand, and his genitals in the other."
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Yes but the dialogue and interactions could have been lifted from that animation... I know it's a true story or based on true events... she showed up in Night at the Museum.... she wouldn't be there if she was fictional... I mean... REALLY!!! :roll: :lol:

Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

Onechanbara the vortex - crappy sequal. Quite liked the first one, too much cgi though. This one has even more cgi and is just silly.

Where the wild things are - Shitty asbo kid end up on an island with emotionally crippled monster. Looks pretty but was pretty lame.

The girl next door: Fucked up.

Dr Dolittle - can't help it but I love this movie haha.

Charlie and the chocolate factory remake - not bad but I'm not down with the makeover the Umpa Lumpa's got.

Unmasking the Idol - Duncan Jax and his Baboon sidekick kick some ass in this piece of 870's cheese. Prefer the sequal though, as it's batshit insane!

Thirst - had pretty high expectations for this one, with it being a Park Chan Wook movie, but I thought it was pretty lame. Way too long and not much happening. Didn't like it.

Neon Maniacs - the make up and special effects were great but all in all a pretty shitty movie.

Magnificent warriors - Michelle Yeoh kicks ass in this action/ martial arts flick. Good entertainment.

Hand of death - A John Woo movie with Jackie Chan in it, how can you go wrong with that? Loved it.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!