films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just seen Thank You For Smoking.

Thought it was very well written and acted. Very humorous in parts. Worth seeing.

Alex, Lovely to bump into you. Will see Over the Hedge next week.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Glad you liked Thank You For Smoking, its was funny bumping into you in Leicetser Square. Fearless was great.

Everyone should go and see Over The Hedge, it's so funny.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Went to see The Wind That Shakes The Barley, it's really good, I've never been very keen on Ken Loach, I usually find his films drag a bit, but this is his best one for quite a while. Great performance from Cillian Murphy in the lead role.

Also just wached on DVD the one Brian DePalma film I've never seen, Sisters (1973), which I really enjoyed, it his earliest thriller and it's fun to see all the lements that wold pop up in later films being tried out here for the first time. Well worth watching.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Seen chunks of Over the Hedge today, excellent for all ages, very funny - even if some aspects are more than a little reminiscent of the funny-but-flawed Hoodwinked which is finally getting a UK release in August :wink: Well worth taking the family to (in case you needed an excuse)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I watched Night Watch on DVD last night, the first time I've seen it since last year's sceening... loved it, it's amazing how a film can improve on multiple viewings (especially when you're not half asleep)... really hope the lads can get Day Watch for August.
First things first, stay calm.
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

I loved Night Watch, had the dvd the day it came out and everytime I watch it I find something new I missed the previous times, sign of a great classic movie that!

Still roll on final lstings, I hope Day watch is in there, partly cos I wanna see it but also cos it'd make my little sister insanely jealous!

She's already wanting to come to FF this year, but she's only 15, I can't wait to take her to her first one though, it will be entertaining to say the least!
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Could give her a gradual introduction with one or two tickets for individual (15-rated, obviously) films and introduce her to the gang so she can lap up some of the atmosphere maybe?
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

A dubious double-bill today...

The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift - To my surprise I didn't hate this quite as much as I hated the previous one; plotwise it's simplistic to the point of infantile, and there really isn't much in there beyond the pretty colours and loud music. I was somewhat distracted by the fact that the leading lady bore a startling resemblance to a charming young lady I worked with at my local council several years ago.

Ultraviolet - pretty terrible. It follows the Aeon Flux / Underworld template of putting an attractive girl (Milla Jovovich) in a variety of revealing outfits and having her high-kick her way through hundreds of monsters or faceless stormtroopers. Noisy and nonsensical, and it also has a pasty look to it, like a poor quality video transfer. I gather this has been edited down to 87 minutes or so for this release version; doubtless the DVD will have a lot more.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

i really cannot recommend the wind that shakes the barley enough...
this film is marvelous to look at, amazingly acted, an authentic look and far from the romanticised BS that was michael collins (no comardes divided by julia roberts this time) but those with no awareness of the history might feel a little lost-if however you have seen michael collins (and really only those with an interest in this subject will have sought that one out) then one or two of the historical gaps are filled in by that movie, Barley doesnt even mention Collins or DeVelera...
characters relationships are revealed in a natural way, there are no Big moments when so and so "realises their calling".... maybe at times the script does feel a tad seen it all before but most of the time you forget this even is a script due to the fly on the wall nature of it. and thankfully no patronising voice over which is often a requirement of this genre

Day Watch ... is there even a properly subtitled western version of this yet? This is a much much better film than Night Watch, although it really cannot stand as a film on its on and doesnt feel like the middle part of this proposed trilogy..
a third part will pretty much have to start again as considering how Anton ends up there seems little reason for The Other to chose the dark side

does the UK DVD of Night watch include the 20 min longer original version?
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

The DVD release of Night Watch just has the standard 'western' cut of the film, but you can watch it dubbed (agh!) or with standard subtitling on disc one, or with the 'burnt in' subtitles (as at the cinema) on disc two. It does include nearly 30 mins of deleted/alternate scenes though including a much longer ending.

I would imagine Fox are working on the same type of subtitling for Day Watch, but no idea if they've completed it or not.
First things first, stay calm.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Watch Brotherhood over the weekend on DVD. I would recommend this Korean War movie. It's very epic and some of the most realistic battles I've seen since Saving Private Ryan. Some real gruesome deaths! It's also a very touching movie.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Got to see a preview screening of Pixar's Cars yesterday, I was quite disappointed with it, the main reason is it's far too long and it's just not funny. It's not actually a bad film and it looks amazing, easily the best looking computer animated film, but it's just far too long. Which is a shame, as it could have been much better. The funniest part is the end credits, make sure you stay right to the very end of to catch everything. There's also the obligatory Pixar short film before Cars starts, won't tell you anything about it apart from the fact that it's actually better than Cars.

Brotherhood is great isn't it, really enjoyed that, managed to get to see it on the big screen where it's even more impressive.

Now here's something to think about. As I spend a lot of time around Leicester Square I get invited to a lot of test screenings, as that's where they do their recruiting.

On Friday I got invited to something strange which is happening tomorrow night. It's billed as a Film Discussion Group, it runs for 45 minutes and it has something to do with Superhero films, beyond that the person doing the recruiting wouldn't tell me anything. The only thing they would tell me was that if I was into those sorts of films I wouldn't be dissapointed in being there.

So what's it going to be about? What I hoping is that we're going to get to see a trailer, some test footage or very early footage to an upcoming Superhero type film or films. I can't really think of what's in production right now, Spiderman 3, Transformers? Anyone got any other suggestions?

I'll post about what it was after we get to see it, I'm really intrigued though.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Bet it's about the new Superman film
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

shit... i KNEW i forgot some thing .. i got that very same card but as i got it on a saturday and you have to fone to get a pass code i was gonna fone this morning...assuming the place wouldnt be open at the weekend, but now its an hour past the deadline and the number is at home.... ****

no it wont be superman returns as that film is "locked" and completed... no point doing market research into that now
Alex be aware Paul McEvoy may also be at that
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

I was thinking that, but the release of Superman is too close, it's out in a couple of weeks, though I could be wrong.

Plus the discussion only lasts 45 minutes, so we're not going to get to see an entire film.