films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

mamawaldi wrote:Re: Saw 5.
Yeah well, once you're locked in on a horror franchise I reckon you're kind of honour bound to see all of them no matter how bad it gets. Its like a horror fan's rites of passage to watch dreadful sequels. It's not a choice, it's a duty dammit !!

I may make an exception for any further "Reeker" films however. :wink:
you need some will power,after Saw 4 i vowed never to give that franchise any more cash or any of my time watching the pointless films ever again.
so far its worked out fine :)
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Yeah it's about time they remade SAW. :wink:
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

from dusk till dawn 3 a far better sequel than the rubbish 2nd one,lots of gore nice looking vampires and a reasonable story,ignore the 2nd one and just watch this one instead.
Repo the genetic opera cant really comment too much on this, watched as much as i could stand the music was dire.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Grindhouse wrote:ignore the 2nd one and just watch this one instead.
What and miss out on Bruce Campbell....never!
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

Finally saw Doghouse yesterday and thought it was a lot of fun, really enjoyed it. I even remembered all the characters' names which is a first for me and got quite upset at certain points! Well done, Mr West - I look forward to your next offering!
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Nice to see some love towards Doghouse.

Enjoyed it a lot and am fairly annoyed at its crappy one week only release. Even tormented got a better release though that did feature a young cast. Its much better than the crappy lazy Lesbian Vampire Killers and i suspect the failure of that film at the BO prob affected this ones release.

A couple of moments could have been edited better but i suspect theres been a move to reduce it from 18 level to 15 level.

Danny Dyer is unbearable as usual but gets one or two good character moments. Noel Clarke gets a role not too disimilar to his one on Dr Who. The rest of the cast are a diverse enough bunch but its done in such a way as u dont wonder just why this group is so eclectic.

When the characters die it actually has an impact. Its far from perfect of course but its enough i feel to undermine those determined to dismiss Jake West as a film maker.

Doghouse would make a good partner to what will be the funniest film of the year and certainly one of the top 10 best. The Hangover is a blast from start to finish. There are so many great little moments and in some ways it isnt actually played as a broad comedy.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

I totally agree with you Ghouldrool. It is a shame that Doghouse has had a very short run in some places.
But the good news is you can still catch up with my favourite film of the year so far at quite a few venues this coming week.

I feel a second viewing coming on at Cineworld Nottingham who are only doing late shows now.

(pasted from jakewest.com)

June 18 2009: Doghouse Cinema dates from Friday 19th June

Cineworld Crawley Lates
Odeon Thurrock 7 days
Showcase Bluewater 7 days
Showcase Reading 7 days
Vue Acton Lates
Vue Croydon Purley Way Lates
Vue Dagenham Lates
Vue Shepherd's Bush Lates
Cineworld Stevenage 7 days
Odeon Norwich Lates
Vue Northampton 7 days
Vue Romford 7 days
Odeon Southampton Lates
Vue Plymouth Lates
Vue Portsmouth 7 days
Cineworld Cardiff 7 days
Vue Bristol Cribbs Lates
Vue Bristol Longwell 7 days
Vue Cardiff 7 days
Vue Cwmbran Lates
Vue Merthyr Tydfil Lates
Vue Swansea 7 days
AMC Birmingham 7 days
Cineworld Nottingham Lates
Cineworld Wolverhampton 7 days
Showcase Derby 7 days
Showcase Dudley 7 days
Showcase Walsall 7 days
Vue Birmingham Lates
AMC Manchester 7 days
Cineworld Bolton 7 days
Showcase Manchester 7 days
Vue Bolton Lates
Vue Bury Lates
Vue Cheshire Oaks Lates
Cineworld Bradford Lates
Cineworld Sheffield 7 days
Parkway Cleethorpes 7 days
Showcase Leeds 7 days
Showcase Teeside 7 days
Vue Leeds Light Lates
Cineworld Glasgow Renfrew Lates
Vue Carlisle Lates
Vue Edinburgh Ocean Lates
Movie House Yorkgate Belfast 7 days
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Transformers 2: is really really disappointing - the script is weak and the film is way too long and a few amusing scenes and some ok robot action cant compensate.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Just got back from "T2" - can't say I was "disapointed" as it was exactly what I expected it to be. And now I feel like Mark Kermode:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/ ... 90609.html
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Reanimator wrote:Transformers 2: is really really disappointing - the script is weak and the film is way too long and a few amusing scenes and some ok robot action cant compensate.
Yep have to agree there! Thought the fighting sequences had the fast edit syndrome. Thought the film was so unwatchable. We walked out after a hour. Thank god for the Cineworld card!

Watched In The Name of the King today. Thought that was far more enjoyable.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

Last week:

Psycho kickboxer - Pretty cool low budget action flick. Some good gore bits.

Ilsa; the tigress of siberia - not as good as She wolf of the SS or Haremkeeper of the sheiks.

Human pork chop - I say she got what she deserved.

Shaolin vs evil dead - thought this one was a blast, zombies, hopping vampires, some laughs... good stuff. The most abrupt ending of a movie ever?

Shaolin vs evil dead 2 - what a let down. The scenes you saw during the end credits of the 1st one promised a lot for this sequal, but it just didn't deliver. After over an hour it all finally kicked off, but by then I just didn't care anymore. too much cgi as well. Pity.

Naked weapon - chinese assassin ladies. What there was a story as well?

Revenge of the ninja - good stuff, liked it a lot.

Day watch - had the dvd for over a year but somehow never got to watch it. Didn't make the same impact on me as when I saw it in the cinema but still a good time.

The Blob - the 80's one that is, hadn't seen it in over 10 years. Great movie.

Devil's dynamite - not as good as robo vampire, but then again I was pretty doped up when I saw this. Bring on Counter destroyer

Corpse master - great wacky asian vampire comedy. Bunch of people get shipwrecked on an island with an evil vampire guy cementedinto the wall (with some kind of spanking device for his little kiddie hopping vampire helpers haha) quite a few WTF moments.

Devil shadow - quite lame hong kong thriller, not much happened.

Calamity of snakes - Ok so I read about the countless real animal killings, which were quite disturbing sometimes, but I didn't expect the movie around it to be so cheesy haha. some funny scenes, and the Kung Fu fight against the boa constrictor was simply amazing

Monkey - episode 9 and 10. Gotta love monkey, though pigsey is clearly cooler.

Outrageous fortune - bunch of episodes from season 4. The Drama! great series.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
WilsonBros
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by WilsonBros »

We watched Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen after the FF calender shoot on Saturday and we were shocked at how ghastly it was.

The first movie wasn't going to win any awards, but at least it was fun. RotF seems to base itself on the Mummy Returns school of sequel-making, in that you take all the elements that were poor from the first film and ramp them up to absurd proportions.

The action was dull, the humour was purile in the extreme (a leg-humping Transformer? Christ!), it took an age to reach the climax and the climax itself was by-the-numbers and did not thrill at all.

It's depressing to think that they are going to be making another one - at least Bay has said that he isn't going to be directing it...

The Wilson Bros
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

I have to agree with the other reviews of Transformers 2. I enjoyed the first one, as they spent the time to give the robots some personality, there was a point to the humans being there, and most of the comedy worked. This was 2 1/2 hours of giant robots spinning through the air in close up. A lot of them, particularly the decepticons, are pretty much indistinguishable from each other, to the point where I actually had no idea if that was a good robot or a bad robot that just got its arm pulled off and smashed in the face with it for the 18th time.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

well not so much a movie but a 2 part tv mini series from scott free productions,and executive producers ridley & tony scott comes The Andromeda Strain.The 1971 robert wise directed movie of the same title and based on the michael crichton book for me is one of the best sci fi movies of the 70s claustrophobic tense and with a great race against time and lasers to prevent self destruction of the research facility.
the mini series has a wider view of the outbreak,human drama,conspiracy theory,cloak and dagger politics,time travel and an eco message adds up to 3 hours of not very much at all,the storyline is too wide and takes in too many issues.
if your curious to see a new adaptation of a sci fi classic,and see how badly its done its worth watching for that alone,but it will just leave you knowing the film is far better and it didnt need redoing for any amount of money.
Tacular Matt
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Tacular Matt »

i'm almost ashamed to admit it (almost) but i really enjoyed the new transformers

if you're going into it expecting a "good" movie then you're watching the wonr film. the acting was beyond crap and the story was utter bollocks but i thoroughly enjoyed it. the robots were the stars of the show and their action scenes looked phenomenal on IMAX.

every aspect of it is reproachable (base idiotic humour, and those twins! dear god!) but it made me feel like the child i was when i watched Transformers years ago, retarded genius that's going on my guilty pleasures lst[/u]
"It's good to be violent to people"

O_ó