films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

hmmm MI:3.. really couldnt be bother to shift my corpulence to this one last night so cannae comment yet.. it just doesnt look that appealing.

giancchino (harldy a name that will trip off the tongue) did a great job on the Lost soundtrack (annoyingly EVERY track on the cd seems to end with the same dying trumpet fart)

now ive just watched mindhunters and for a mid week rental it was actually rather good. Def not cinema quality so can see y it went DTV here. it came across as a mix between Saw 2 and DTox. The holes in the plot are gaping and it rightly deserves a mention in a bad movies you love thread... it features LL Cool J's character suddenly going bad and creepy for NO REASON other than to try a bluff on the audience.. then when the killer reveals their scheme... my god you will not want a character to just shut up and get to the point as much as this for a long time
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Went to see The King the other night, the new Gael Garcia Bernal film. I really enjoyed it, it's very dark and has a couple of really nasty shocking moments in it.

In a strange way it reminded me of Donnie Darko, William Hurts character is similar to Swayze's and it captures that strange 'something's wrong in suburbia' feeling.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Dr Strangelove played at the Prince Charles today, I'd never seen it on the big screen before, it was so great, not watched it for a few years. The War Room set looks amazing up on the big screen. Rewatching it today I think that George C. Scott really steals the film, he's hilarious as Buck, I love it when he falls over and just keeps on talking. Plus the film realy flies by, it seemed to be over so quickly.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

MI:3
a much improved sequal.. yet still not reaching the heights of tension (or ludicrosity) of the first... the end of the first may have been preposterous but the ending to this one was limp and too casual.... JJ Abrahms does bring a sense of seriousness to events but doesnt take it too seriously (check for the reaction to what IMF stands for)... the leading lady is nothing more than victim and pretty face and is visually distractingly similar to Kate from Lost towards the end ... its hard to believe its been ten years since MI:1... Ethan Hunt clearly seems to have learned his people skills from jack bauer in the past decade... and Hoffman is one of those worthy/capable actors who are actually quite dull and he makes a good enough job of Davian.. tho some how he was more chilling in the trailer.... by the end of the summer this flick will be long forgotten

16 blocks
ah this was more enjoyable... strong performances, tension, ok Mos Def WAS irritating but he grew on you...and you did end up caring for the characters ..plus the ending wasnt as predictable as these thrillers usually are
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Class of Nuke Em high
Troma has overtaken the Horror Channel of late and it gave a chance to revist this last night.... somethings are best not revisited...to think this was out in 1986. i could have sworn it was earlier then that
what an aimless pile of inept crap..it must have intended being this bad otherwise it makes Ed Wood look capable sort of... the same song seems to play constantly during the movie and its not nearly as "naughty" as i remember... funnily enough the comic relief buddy of the lead guy looked very similar to Jake West. and if West wants another project id happily see him remake this film
the end monster was actually pretty cool looking for what they had to work with

actually the biggest laugh i got at this was one one of the Cretins states to the Head Master "WE are the youth of today"... and as we ourselves pass into adult hood (some of us with less grace than others) its funny to think of these characters now all in their 30s being harrased by the youth of NOW
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

AndyJWS wrote:
streetrw wrote:MI3's score is by Michael Giacchino (Incredibles, Alias, Lost) and I've read that it's fantastic. Can't wait for the score album. MI2 was scored by Zimmer and it's not very good, even by his standards. Better Zimmer action scores include Drop Zone and The Peacemaker; some add Teh Rock to the list.
Well, they'd be a bit misled as The Rock was actually a coalition by (predominantly) Harry Gregson-Williams, Nick Glennie-Smith and Hans Zimmer. Zimmer only actually composed two of the themes but being the biggest name is often associated with it. Zimmer did rip it off hugely, though, in his Gladiator soundtrack, which was a real disappointment for me at least. On the other hand the M:I-2 score (as opposed to the crap "inspired by" album) is one of my personal favourites, complimenting the style of the film and combining orchestral and vocal styles excellently - the track Injection is one of my favourite ever pieces of movie music. Broken Arrow is another fine Zimmer soundtrack, The Peacemaker is OK (dug the choral parts) but Crimson Tide is a far better piece of Zimmer composition than Drop Zone...
Most of Zimmer's scores are practically written by committee; they're out of this Media Ventures combine/commune thing that has resulting in a hell of a lot of recent scores sounding much the same. Why did it take five or six composers to knock out something as generic and uninteresting as Tears of the Sun? It's functional but nothign more. It's a pity, because some of his non-action scores are quite good: for example Beyond Rangoon. Hannibal would be a good listen on CD if it wasn't plastered with dialogue excerpts.

I've never liked Crimson Tide much, and MI2 is probably the Zimmer (etc) action score I play least.
....aside from a couple of riffs on the Mission: Impossible theme it is truly a disappointingly bland and generic piece of work that doesn't always fit what's on screen. Remember how the Goldeneye soundtrack was a huge letdown because aside from odd cases of tokenism it just wasn't Bond? That's what happens here... A large amount of the reason those riffs I mentioned stand out is because they really feel like they don't belong in the rest of the score, which is more suited to a lower budget romantic film than a big-budget action thriller...
I hate the Goldeneye score within the film, but perversely I love it on CD. Why the hell Eric Serra and his doodly synth style got the job I can't imagine. (In desperation the producers removed his uninteresting take on the big tank chase and brought in John Altman to rescore it.)

Conversely, David Arnold's Bond scores have riffed on the Bond theme to the point where it's almost embarrassing...

Still looking forward to MI3, film and score.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Went to see Brick last night, it's fantastic, it's as if someone just sat down and said, lets just fuse a hardboiled noir and a highschool film together and see what happens. It's probably the best thing I've seen so far this year.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Been looking forward to see this one. May go and see it this Friday or next. Any one going to see Tom Hanks's new film Da' Vinny cod?
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I finally got around to seeing Slither last week - really enjoyed it, just a classic B movie throwback, reminded me very much of The Blob and Body Snatchers in its tone. Good fun.

I was expecting 16 Blocks to be a very average thriller (Bruce Willis with a moustache is usually a worry...) but thought it was actually pretty decent, threw in a few twists and turns along the way and the performances were good.

Saw MI3 last night and enjoyed it... very much like an episode of Alias though. And Philip Seymour Hoffman seemed to have taken lessons from Jack Bauer, especially in the interrogation scene!
First things first, stay calm.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I have to say I was mightily disappointed with Slither and also watched Lady Vengeance this week too. I found the former too slow with some appalling CGI graphics, and the latter was good, but nowhere near as good as Oldboy.

Ps. Love your movie haiku's from your site soulmining. Very funny as well!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Slither was a laugh. Not really that good, but not bad either. Good to see Gregg Henry again; he only ever seemed to show up in occasional Brian de Palma films.

I didn't realise Gunn had worked on Troma films, and seeing four seconds of the Toxic Avenger on a TV set was the movie's low point. That aside, and rather too much comedy swearing, pretty good fun. I didn't really mind the CGI too much - it was obviously the only way they were going to be done.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Just got back from Silent Hill and altho I haven't played the first game (which some have claimed is important to understanding) I got through it OK thanks to a little background check on the story and previous films involving Japanese mythology. I think the cultural difference there is contributing heavily to the confusion with this film, many people see something about witches and forget that despite having Western influences, all the games and concepts of Silent Hill as a franchise are Japanese, fully westernising it would probably have led to another Doom (which although guilty fun is an in-name-only part of the franchise thanks to completely dropping the whole Hell element which provided the core of the games' stories)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

"fully westernising it would probably have lead to another Doom"...
Doom wasnt a japanese game and wasnt fully realised by a western company in the first place? ID software?
so the film version was actually made less westernised by opting to go for the sci fi channel standard of genetic experiments..leaving out the hell thing..while i enjoyed the movie.. well it just wasnt Doom when u fiddle with the story so much

going back to silent hill.. werent they the stupidest witch burners ever? burning people indoors?
jimbo
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by jimbo »

ghouldrool wrote:going back to silent hill.. werent they the stupidest witch burners ever? burning people indoors?
Oh yeah, I hadn't even thought of that - you're right, what an odd thing to do, particularly in the one building in the town that is a safe haven from the darkness, made of old stone and wood - hey, let's light a bigass fire!
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

And (for the flashbacks) doing your indoor fires underground, in a town with coal underneath ;) Goes to show some don't live and learn... or die and learn :P (Mind you, it's not like witchhunters in general have been known for their intelligence - "if she floats and lives, she must die! If she sinks and dies, she's innocent so must liv... oh"

That part was Roger Avary trying to link the story with Centralia (working title of the film and a real town in the US with underground coal fires... woo for Google/Wilkipedia :wink:)

To clarify about the westernisation thing - when I said "another Doom" I meant the abandoning the core of the games' story in the film version, which led to a film that, as you pointed out, just wasn't Doom... in my view, fully westernising Silent Hill would have had a similar effect, it just wouldn't have been Silent Hill any more... that make sense? :?
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."