films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

First cinema trip since the Festival today: The Hurt Locker is a generally pretty damn excellent Iraq war movie which manages to rack up considerable tension on several occasions. Thoroughly well done, one of the films of the year.

I had to buy the glasses yet again for The Final Destination (according to the posters 3D is now the norm and it's now "2D In Selected Cinemas" rather than the other way around) and on balance it's probably the weakest in the series. I felt FD2 was the best, mainly for the stunning opening sequence, but this entry I'm not overly keen on. Some pleasantly nasty death scenes, though.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
crazzycat
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by crazzycat »

Just saw "Case 39" mysterious thing i'd like to say i like it a lot
Smart people know:"In [url=http://www.iconsbank.com]icons[/url] internet power"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

recently viewed movies include the following titles
kentucky fried movie,which is ok some funny skits others not so funny,easy to see the influence of this in many comedy shows.
the blues brothers a classic and still just as funny and the music is superb.
Cross Of Iron,Sam Peckinpah's anti war movie still just as powerful 30 years or so later,it would be great to have a special edition of this movie with documentaries and commentaries,although sadly too late for coburn & mason,but schell & warner could do it.
the island of dr moreau the tales behind this movie is fascinating,richard stanley being fired of his own movie,brandos dick emery performance and val kilmer acting like he doesnt give a toss,which could be him being normal?
another movie that needs a special edition but i strangely like this movie,fairuza balk is lovely as always & david thewlis,im a huge fan of.i wonder what they made of the movie?
U Turn one of my favourite oliver stone movies,experimental in its cinematography,billy bob thornton is the best character,in this town of twisted folks where sean penn just cannot escape,could have been made in b&W and it would still be awesome.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Taxidermia = A huge load of what the fuckery.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Sorority Row last night. A enjoyable dumb film. Thankfully not a shot for shot remake of the The House of Evil. At least it took a idea and tried something different with it. Had one or two jumps. Some good deaths. The film was made amusing by what the main character was saying in monotone.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Oh yes I saw an advert for that Sorority Row, I fancy watching it :)
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Sorority Row. Am confused now as to why this is being refered to at all as a remake of HOSW as the credits clearly state its based on a script called Seven Sisters.
Theres nothing in this film to indicate its a remake other than it being set in a Sorority.
Its pedestrian as they come with some appallingly bad compositions which are even then far too zoomed in. And the bleached look is very unappealling - just film in black and white and have done. Its pretty boring too in my view but then we have been down this road so many times.
Not too hot girls get variously butchered along with assorted ciphers who are privy to the most contrived prank gone wrong ever seen in these films. Some kills are ok in their directness (the first two in particular) but the only real fun is had with Carrie Fishers worldly wise house mother, shame shes involved in a poorly shot sequence.

D' Wild Wild Weng
Karate midget takes on indonesian mexican bandits, cowboys and ninjas - hurrah. diseased genius abounds here.
Weng Weng walks many many miles to a crappy village where the villains outnumber the locals by 4 to 1 easily. What attraction is there to the villains? Two local hotties - and lots of sand.
So Weng Weng kicks, punches, shoots and changes clothes as much as is humanly possible. Seriously the sight of a tuxedoed midget being javelined onto the balcony of a villa is something special.
Then theres the tribe of pygmay indians, the brick shithouse sidekick, the mute moron who seemingly makes perfect sense to our softly spoken Weng Weng and an ending clearly homaged by Rambo 3.

The Light at the edge of the World
Careful with this one. its a technicolor yarn spun from a jules verne work. It contains the usual cute animal side kick associated with those flicks too. Kirk Douglas takes on Yul Bryner who wants to subvert a lighthouse so that he can crash ships.
About 20 mins in the film catches you off guard by being fairly brutal in a way these films never were, and it got even more savage. Even beyond the blunt stabbings and monkey murder.
The sight of a man being flayed by a harpoon and the sounds of a woman being raped to death by an entire ship of pirates are particularly disturbing.
The tone is serious, and although the pace is slow the film is pretty good. The final face off between Douglas and Bryner avoids over blown dramatic brawling for a unique and awkward tussle between the top floors of a burning light house
The stern performances by Douglas and Bryner are also notable with their adversary resembling that seen later in the first Die Hard.
Last edited by ghouldrool on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

maxmum wrote:Oh yes I saw an advert for that Sorority Row, I fancy watching it :)
Going tonight... don't search for it on twitter... some bums are giving away the killer and stuff in tweets :(
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

ghouldrool wrote:
D' Wild Wild Weng
Karate midget takes on indonesian mexican bandits, cowboys and ninjas - hurrah. diseased genius abounds here.
Weng Weng walks many many miles to a crappy village where the villains outnumber the locals by 4 to 1 easily. What attraction is there to the villains? Two local hotties - and lots of sand.
So Weng Weng kicks, punches, shoots and changes clothes as much as is humanly possible. Seriously the sight of a tuxedoed midget being javelined onto the balcony of a villa is something special.
Then theres the tribe of pygmay indians, the brick shithouse sidekick, the mute moron who seemingly makes perfect sense to our softly spoken Weng Weng and an ending clearly homaged by Rambo 3.
Is this after For Y'ur Height Only and The Impossible Kid? I've only seen those two, but wanna see this now, and also the most recent one they made before he died...
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

[quote="ghouldrool"]Sorority Row. Am confused now as to why this is being refered to at all as a remake of HOSW as the credits clearly state its based on a script called Seven Sisters.
Theres nothing in this film to indicate its a remake other than it being set in a Sorority.

I noticed that as well.

Mark Rosman who was the director and co-wrote the script for the House of Evil aka House on Soronity Row. As we know titles of screenplays to films do change sometimes.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

lupogirl wrote:
ghouldrool wrote:Sorority Row. Am confused now as to why this is being refered to at all as a remake of HOSW as the credits clearly state its based on a script called Seven Sisters.

I noticed that as well.

Mark Rosman who was the director and co-wrote the script for the House of Evil aka House on Soronity Row. As we know titles of screenplays to films do change sometimes.
Did he direct the original Sorority Row... Stewar Hendler did the new one, nice fella. :D

Going to see it tonight after Toby Wilkins (Splinter) said it was an entertaining Hard R film
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Satans Puppy wrote:
lupogirl wrote:
ghouldrool wrote:Sorority Row. Am confused now as to why this is being refered to at all as a remake of HOSW as the credits clearly state its based on a script called Seven Sisters.

I noticed that as well.

Did he direct the original Sorority Row... Stewar Hendler did the new one, nice fella. :D

Going to see it tonight after Toby Wilkins (Splinter) said it was an entertaining Hard R film
Yes he did.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Is the original worth watching? :) not that it is a remake of the original lol

lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Ooooh yes! The original is worth a watch..
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Yeah House on Sorority Row is ace! much better than the remake (or just similarly titled) Sorority Row IMO :-)