films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Watched some suprisingly enjoyable fluff. Starter for 10

Enjoyable story of boy meets girl on his journey to the coveted University Challenge. A rather good foot tapping sound track, The Cure, Teardrop Explodes, Black to name a few of the culprits

Listening to Liverpool the not so good album of Frankie Goes to Hollywood but singing along to though!! :lol:
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

Another fan of The Prestige here. Living in the sticks, it only opened a week later than everyone else, but it was worth the wait (if you discount the 6 12-year-olds sniggering and slurping drinks behind us). I guessed part of the ending but not the rest. Then again, I also didn't guess The Sixth Sense when other people were saying it was obvious...so maybe it's just me :oops: Thought the acting was top-notch and the film looked great too. I had the sense that this was the film Puritan's director really wanted to make.

Also saw Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny - very silly, but very funny mostly, and great cameos by Tim Robbins and Ben Stiller. Didn't get on that well with the fart jokes, but the rest of it was just leave-your-brain-at-home-escapism-silly. Loved it!

We also rented Confetti, the mockumentary about 3 couples competing to win an award for the wackiest wedding, which had some fantastic moments, with Robert Webb and Olivia Colman from Peep Show as naturists, Jessica Stevenson and Martin Freeman as a couple who loved musicals, and Steven Mangan from Green Wing and a woman I didn't recognise as a tennis-loving couple. It was a shame it didn't all hang together as a film, because there were some truly genius moments. Maybe if Christopher Guest had directed, it would have worked out better.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

For reasons too idiotic to explain, all my DVDs are in a black plastic bag on the bedroom floor. (Well, okay, I had to clear the lounge out a few weeks ago so the carpet tiles could be replaced, and I haven't put everythgin back yet.) And seeing as I left my Cineworld passcard in the office on Friday, I've been unable to see anything at the cinema. So this afternoon was DVD time, after a couple of months of not really watching anything.

TENEBRAE is one of my favourite Argento gialli (I don't think I'll put a poll up), with a couple of great twists I'd forgotten since I last watched it and some touches of utter genius - the killer looming up behind the cop towards the end, that mad extended crane shot over the house, and even the severed arm bit the BBFC cut on the original release caught me by surprise this time. It's nicely plotted and the Goblin music is great (and, unless my ears deceive me, the score includes a bit of honkytonk from the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack. I tend to notice little things like that. :) )

I hadn't seen LEATHERFACE: TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE III since Alan Jones included it in the Shock-Around-The-Clock 4 lineup on August 11, 1990 at the Electric in Portobello Road; the BBFC rejected it outright for many years afterwards. Oddly the DVD includes the full uncut version as well as a cut version (presumably the American R-rated cut) - given the choice, who'd want to watch the cut one? It's pretty nasty stuff, especially with a cute little girl added to the mix. But I don't think it's as good as I thought it was sixteen years ago; I think it came on at about two in the morning so maybe I was half asleep at the time! Still a decent three-star (out of five) film, though.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Hmmmmm

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Feast - I vaguely remeber someone having mentioned this before - but any enjoyable 80's influenced gore film, in the vein of Slither (in terms irreverance).

Edmond - Stuart Gordon's latest, an adaptio of a Mamet play. Quite odd, but enjoyable - a arty farty Falling Down. The DVD box sells it as a shocking thriller - people who rent it on this basis will be very disappointed.

Also bought to 'classic's on E-Bay: Maniac Cop and C.H.U.D. II. Had previously seen MC 2 & 3, so wasn't disappointed with the usual Larry Cohen standard of decent horror. C.H.U.D. II was fun, like a slightly less funny Return of the Living Dead. It also features an early role for Rich Hall (from QI, etc).

I'm really busy at work at the mo, resulting in brain meltdown, so I can't remember what I've watched otherwise.
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

Went to see Tenacious D last night, ok its not horror, but it was hilarious, I LOVES it! Exactly what was needed after a week teaching 7 year olds!

AND

I BOUGHT SEE NO EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Them's who was there this summer will know exactly how much I loved this movie, so I've invested oin a multi region dvd player, and splashed out on this! Also, Jay and Silent Bob do Degrassi. Something I'm looking forward to seeing immensely, I love those 2 annd it looks hilarious!
Have you heard of my friends capital letter and comma?

No? Well perhaps you should try them sometime... correct usage will do wonders for your social life.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Hollywoodland last night. Interesting story. I did not know the story about George Reeves death. Ben Affleck looked great and at least looked like a 'movie idol'. Thought it was a tad long and Adrian Brody's character slowed the film down at times.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I caught a preview of Paul Verhoeven's new film Black Book tonight; wartime drama about a Jewish woman who becomes a spy for the Resistance... extremely well written and plotted, it's two and a half hours long but never drags. Made with Verhoeven's customary sheen, it's a pacy, assured piece of work - and there's still enough of his trademark violence and nudity in there. A welcome return to form!

Also saw Pan's Labyrinth (again) earlier this week, and also Jackass Number Two - what can I say? If you laughed at the first one you'll certainly enjoy the sequel... I think I laughed longer and harder during that than I did when watching Borat.
First things first, stay calm.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

STRANGER THAN FICTION has dull taxman Will Ferrell suddenly hearing the voice of author Emma Thompson telling Ferrell's life-story and its inevitable tragic conclusion, just as he's falling in love with the radical baker (Maggie Gyllenhaal) he's auditing. Most of the reviews were unenthusiastic but I found it sweet, charming and very nicely done, although there are a few plotholes, and the on-screen graphics can get a bit irritating after a while. Plus the book Thompson is writing is drivel that wouldn't get her a B- at GCSE. But it's a terrific concept, and it's rather heartwarming.

The noirish circumstances of George "Superman" Reeves' mysterious death is the subject of HOLLYWOODLAND, the second (and inferior) of 2006's brave of Golden Age Of Hollywood True Life Murders. It isn't a patch on The Black Dahlia, but it's not bad; the film has a good cast, including the ever-reliable Bob Hoskins as a studio boss, and the requisite jazzy tone on the soundtrack. Probably the first Affleck film where I haven't wanted to brain him with a crowbar (there's something wrong with Pearl Harbour when you find yourself rooting for the Japanese Air Force). Unlike Dahlia, this doesn't come up with a conclusion; there are various characters who could have dunnit, and one of them probably did, but that's all we get.

The BLACK CHRISTMAS remake is nasty, vicious schlock entertainment. Like the Final Destination movies (it's from the same stable), it's cruel and sadistic, and for a 15 Certificate there's a hell of a lot of blood and gore, including unspeakable scenes of eyeball removal and cannibalism. Yummy. It's also rather a throwback to glossy rather than Saw-style grungy; there's a full orchestral score rather than tiresome metal thuddings on the soundtrack, and no flash-cut editing of shots that last a quarter of a second. Well worth catching.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

TENACIOUS D IN THE PICK OF DESTINY. My mother always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all", in which case I'd have to stop right there. :) I really hated this, but then I suspect it's not aimed at me! Really, it's about a couple of deluded idiots whom no-one ever takes aside and says "Guys, just stop it, you're rubbish and you're only embarrassing yourselves." I also found the relentless f-ing a bit wearing after a while. On the plus side the cameos from Ben Stiller and Tim Robbins are amusing. But like I said, I'm not the target audience so it's probably not too surprising.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just had a girly night out to see The Holiday.

Thought it was rather enjoyable. Kate Winslet was rather amusing. Jude Law was a feast for the eyes and thought he was good in this film. Have not seen him many films. Cameron Diaz character was a slow burner. Jack Black was rather amusing but restraited.

The chemistry between Kate Winslet and Jack Black did not work for me. Different story with Cameron and Jude. Sizzle!!

Saw again the trailer for Hot Fuzz. So looking forward to see this in Feburary. Eat My Brains site also has the Hot Fuzz trailer.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

lupogirl wrote:Just had a girly night out to see The Holiday.
I think it is too girly for me really, but I was vaguely interested in it as Jack Black plays a film composer.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I thought it was quite well written. Not that much of a girly film.
imajica
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by imajica »

I'd like to say this is too girly for me but I know i'll end up seeing it. Not least because those cheesy quaint snowy town scenes were filmed outside where I work (i've still got fake snow in my shoes).
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Worth seeing it for Jude Law and of course the scenery!!!!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

imajica wrote:
I'd like to say this is too girly for me but I know i'll end up seeing it. Not least because those cheesy quaint snowy town scenes were filmed outside where I work (i've still got fake snow in my shoes).
Oh, well, I HAVE to see it now! :) :)