films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

its wednesday its the 3rd of june and Terminator Salvation has opened today and to say i have been excited by this is an understatement.
so is it any good do the 4 star reviews do it justice,has McG pulled off something spectacular?
Yes he has this is a new installment that never lets up and delivers action that we have yearned for since T2 all adds to the excitement.
the look is barren and washed out in the dry world of post judgment day,which owes itself to the conflicts in iraq and afghanistan and its a good look too.
christian bale plays a good john connor,the actor who plays kyle reese does michael biehn proud but marcus played by sam worthington is superb,Moon Bloodgood has a great role and its great to see michael ironside too.
this is a sequel that lets fly with skynets creations and lets your imagination run with them too,seeing arnie back on the screen with the look of the original Terminator from 84 a nod to T2 all adds to the excitement.
Not since the days of queuing for T2 (when it opened as back then it was london first, then it opened everywhere else),had i been so excited about a terminator movie,as a fan of the terminator films we could easily go Terminator T2 and Salvation and gently try and forget jonathan mostows poor sequel which really didnt add anything all that new apart from the last 20-30mins from where skynet takes over.
This really is the film of the summer for me,MCG delivered terminator fans Xmas present early.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Watched Drag Me To Hell a few nights ago. Thought it was rather good. Had some dark humour and some good effects. The killer hankychief was rather amusing. Agree with the earlier post about the ending. Very much a film to watch with a "Evil Dead" thought.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Grindhouse wrote:we could easily go Terminator T2 and Salvation and gently try and forget jonathan mostows poor sequel which really didnt add anything
I don't mean to be picky, but we couldn't really. Remember at the end of T2 they stopped the war? It was only in T3 that they explained how the war was still going to happen. But you could certainly skip straight from 1 to 4 if you wanted. In many ways this is actually the film I thought T2 would be, way back when I first heard about it.

It's pretty good, the action scenes are very entertaining. I agree that Sam Worthington was the best thing in the film, both his performance and his character. I'm yet to be convinced by that little dweeb who plays Reece though. And Christian Bale pretty much phones it in. That pilot woman was also a good character, hopefully she'll feature in the sequels more.

Also I didn't think the Terminators seemed very threatening in this one. More of an inconvenience to the goodies. I know it's a 12a, but still.

Anyway, overall it was pretty good I thought.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I enjoyed Terminator Salvation as well: it's big, loud, spectacular, hugely destructive and rather exhausting nonsense which rattles along and makes sure to have a massive explosion, car chase or big-ass monster attack every ten minutes. (Though I could have seen it at my local, I made the effort to see on the biggest local screen I could find, and it was worth the trip to Northampton.)

I actually thought it was rather tough for a 12A (which, whatever the BBFC say, is going to have clueless parents bringing 7-year-olds in). Far more in the way of huge scary monster robots, and the violence is more crunchy and bloody than in Terminator 3, which was just cartoonish as the two Terminators spent much of the time bashing hell out of each other with all the ill-effects of Tom smacking Jerry in the face with a frying pan. Here there's a moment when a terminator picks Christian Bale up and throws him 50 feet across the room into the side of a large metal cabinet, which buckles under the impact. I'm not a doctor, but I suspect that in any collision of a large metal cabinet and the human spine, the large metal cabinet is going to come off better. I hurt my shoulders the other day just moving some scaffolding about, so no way is Bale going anywhere for a while after that.

Afterwards I opted for a slight change of gear and went to Barry Lyndon, Stanley Kubrick's 1975 period drama with Ryan O'Neal. It's very painterly: it looks like it's been designed to resemble Old Masters, and very leisurely over 187 minutes. And it's funny - partly through the nicely dry narration by the great Michael Hordern, partly through the appearances of people like Leonard Rossiter in full 18th Century British Army uniform. As double-bills go, this and Terminator 4 is probably the greatest mismatch of the year so far.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Laymonite wrote:
Grindhouse wrote:we could easily go Terminator T2 and Salvation and gently try and forget jonathan mostows poor sequel which really didnt add anything
I don't mean to be picky, but we couldn't really. Remember at the end of T2 they stopped the war? It was only in T3 that they explained how the war was still going to happen. But you could certainly skip straight from 1 to 4 if you wanted. In many ways this is actually the film I thought T2 would be, way back when I first heard about it.

It's pretty good, the action scenes are very entertaining. I agree that Sam Worthington was the best thing in the film, both his performance and his character. I'm yet to be convinced by that little dweeb who plays Reece though. And Christian Bale pretty much phones it in. That pilot woman was also a good character, hopefully she'll feature in the sequels more.

Also I didn't think the Terminators seemed very threatening in this one. More of an inconvenience to the goodies. I know it's a 12a, but still.

Anyway, overall it was pretty good I thought.

well you could just watch the last 30 mins of T3 which i sat through the morning before seeing Salvation and that would explain enough,as for timelines they get so confusing,just look at Star Treks confusing plot.
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

This week:

Curse of the queerwolf - Quite funny (in poor taste)

Werewolf in Bangkok - for some reason I thought this was gonna be 80's cheese, so I was quite surpirsed when I watched this. Still entertaining.

Robotrix - ok Hong Kong stuff with some melon breasted asian girls.

Ninja Vixens - flame of seduction - Pretty lame stuff. I guess if you've seen 1 or 2 Ninja vixen movies you've seen em all. Didn't finish this one.

Hostel 2 - thought it was shit. I quite liked the first one, some descent torture and nudity. This one had less of both. Pity.

Nightbreed - just like From Beyond last week this was a case of Why The Fuck Haven't I Seen This Years Ago. Brilliant movie, absolutely loved it.

The son of the man who saved the earth aka turkish starwars 2 - What a dissapointment. Loved the 1st one, with the crappy looking bits of the real star wars in it, the really bad looking aliens, the 'fight scenes' which looked like nothing more then some guy jumping on a bunch of trampolines to the music of indiana Jones. This one was just a crappy sci fi comedy, with not much actually happening.

Video wasteland compilation/ braincell holocaust /mental bagrancy mixtapes - more mixtape madness but none of em came close to a Crazy Dave 2 or Videoarmageddon or Psychedelic hell trip.

Drag me to hell - didn't really like it, didn't go far enough and the characters weren't very likable.the cimena was full of 15 year old cunts who kept talking and random morons who had never seen a horror before, jumping at the stupidest things. All in all it was slightly enjoyable, with some good moments (puking up the kittie made me laugh)
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Dead Girl - dull dull dull. Glad I didn't travel to Glasgow for this one. The only thing disturbing about it is that none of the boys minded stiring each others porridge - burgh!

Mr O only paid £7.99 from HMV for it, so not too big a loss.

Who gave the quote from Frightfest on the back of the dvd? Were you drunk?
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Just watched Murder Set Pieces....omg what a pile of dogcrap.

Apparently I've got the Lionsgate version which has all the gore and nasty scenes cut out, and I need to get the directors cut if I want to see all the extreme stuff, but I'm not going to bother, because even with the gore in I'm sure it'd still be just as terrible.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

The Resurrected on laserdisc from Dan O Bannon,a pretty good movie lots of errie stuff & gore going on with john terry & chris sarandon,in a hp lovecraft style movie,if its on dvd worth checking out.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Not Quite Hollywood another cracking documentary,some company must release those films on an OZploitation label Now,get the rights back from hardgore for turkey shoot and stick them back out on a better label.
it does show a few movies that were on VHS video,sky pirates was on EIV label, Time Guardian from 88-89 was on Guild,the treasure of the yankee zephyr with Ken Wahl and Donald Pleasance would turn up on BBC occasionally along with The Survivor often on BBC late at night.
Stone has had a dvd release but was on the VTC label in the pre cert era.
its a must have for the collection. :D
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Terminator: Salvation - great, GREAT, chase scene about midway but the film is otherwise curiously uninvolving. the script doesn't seem to know whose story it should be telling (Marcus and Kyle, or John Connor) there are too many characters who just seem to be there to fill the screen (Common and Bryce Dallas Howard are both completely pointless), the characterisation is non-existent across the whole film. And a plot devise at the end stretches credibility far, far beyond breaking point. I enjoyed it, but it's nonsense and the sort of film that seems much worse in retrospect.

But it's much better than the terrible rentals I ploughed through at the weekend, namely:

The X Files: I Want To Believe. Really, really dull. lacking scares or any of the humour that made the show what it was. Avoid.

The Happening - I thought Alien Vs Preditor: Requiem was the worst mainstream genre release of last year, I was SO wrong. The Happening actually manages to edge into the so bad it's good category. The death by lion scene had me howling with laughter. And Zooey Deschanel appears to have overdosed on Prozac. M Night has made a really, really, terrible B Movie crying out for MST3K treatment.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Also saw Terminator: Salvation. Very entertaining, some very corny lines uttered and even Christain Bale was out shone by the actor playing Marcus! Heello!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

Wolfshade wrote:Just watched Murder Set Pieces....omg what a pile of dogcrap.

Apparently I've got the Lionsgate version which has all the gore and nasty scenes cut out, and I need to get the directors cut if I want to see all the extreme stuff, but I'm not going to bother, because even with the gore in I'm sure it'd still be just as terrible.
Ive seen the uncut version and i would recommend you give it another go as its not a terrible film.
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

I watched Thriller : a cruel picture. cool 70's swedish film which Kill Bill ripped off royally!! Also the shotgun scene in Martyrs was very similar!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

capthowdy66 wrote:I watched Thriller : a cruel picture. cool 70's swedish film which Kill Bill ripped off royally!! Also the shotgun scene in Martyrs was very similar!
those XXX scenes arent needed in it though