films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

Saw Inland Empire yesterday.

It was a tough viewing. I have to say I was very disappointed as I have been waiting to see this for ages and was easily one of the films I was most excited about seeing in 2007. It was too 'out there' and I couldnt understand or follow it at all.

Esp when all the Polish stuff came into play.

I did enjoy the girls dancing to the locomotion though and the finger clicking stuff, but thats not worth the 3 hrs of madness.

I know it was filmed over 2 years and I felt that it was just a series of scenes filmed over 2 yrs which made little sense at all to me.

I am a huge Lynch fan, and love everything else he has done. But this was totally incomprehensible, and dare is say pretentious?

Does anybody else agree?
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I struggled with Inland Empire too I'm afraid... one or two good scenes, and Laura Dern's performance was excellent, but it just didn't fit together... it was like one very long waking dream/nightmare. :?

As for Outlaw, I have to agree with the other comments - I found it unpleasant and distasteful and very dull to watch. A half decent cast, but I don't know what they saw in the film. Also the directing was awful with the worst camera work since Battlefield Earth, unless our Cineworld projectionist has the shakes... nauseating stuff. Avoid!

I watched Lucky McKee's The Woods on DVD last night... not as good as May, but nicely directed all the same.

Off to watch the latest Masters Of Horror episode now...

Btw, happy birthday to Paul!! :D
First things first, stay calm.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

1st - hi to all who turned up to my weekend birthday celebrations - and thanks for the drinks n pressies!! special special thanx 2 phil/soulmining for my jaw dropping surprise - literally speachless xx

after a l-o-n-g friday night/saturday blur me ian c and laura c settled in and watched david arquette's trippers and it kept us awake (apart from laura who conked out before the film started)

good, low-budget, star spotting fun and any film with a crazed ronald reagan wielding an axe has got to be loved..yeah

some nice splattery moments too - all in all a lo-fi winner

just watched this film is not yet rated - a fab docu on the film rating process in america with some jaw-dropping moments

any film fan should seek out this entertaining movie, with some great interviews with john waters, kevin smith et al

and to ye naysayers re inland - i'm kinda with you but i felt that the parts where the film worked outweighed the negatives, and lynch is probably the best director alive. he is also the truest director in that he has produced a product not for us but for himself - if we decide to go on the ride/trip with him then it's up to us.

interestingly my good friend damon wise from empire magazine has an incredible take on the movies true and hidden meanings which are SO fascinating - collar him at the next fest with a beer and he will reveal the hidden lynchian depths

alan saw hills have eyes 2 last night but i haven't spoken to him yet about what he thought, and he was seeing the re-made hitcher tonight
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Ask what he thought of Ninja Turtles too! :D

I'm looking forward to that one.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Alex Kidd wrote:Wait till you see Episode 17, it's the best one yet.
Just watched ep 17 & 18!!! Yikes!!! Oh Gawd!!! Bursting to talk about this!! Just soooo goood!!!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Watched This Film Is Not Rated when it was on BBC Four last week, was really interesting and shocking to watch, I had no idea the MPAA operated so differently from the BBFC... really worth a look if you get the opportunity.

So looking forward to the next batch of Heroes episodes (thanks lupogirl) hope to get them watched this weekend...

Seems to be quite a run of remakes/sequels out soon with The Hills Have Eyes 2, The Hitcher and 28 Weeks Later all due to open within the next couple of months... have pretty low expectations for them all, but will no doubt end up seeing them courtesy of the Cineworld pass.
First things first, stay calm.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

ok from the lips and eyes of mr j...

tenage mutant ninja - terrible!

hills have eyes 2 - well received ultra violent, nasty hard 18

hitcher remake - not as bad as expected no masterpiece but ok - 15 cert (unrated dvd?)

1/2 hour of 28 weeks later - looking very good indeed - lots o twists

just saw a great submission for the fest..yay!

btw vin diesel popped into the store today, very nice chap, and all alan had told me was true...er....
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Myself and a slight hangover just come back from a double bill.

Firstly saw Factory Girl. Thought it was a interesting story. Some great clothes and earrings. Thought Sienna Miller was rather good and Guy Pearce is excellent. He is a chameleon actor. A rather good foot tapping 60's soundtrack. Thought it was spangly 3 stars

Then it went downhill rapidly with The Premonition. Started with promise and degenrated to a confusing mess of a film. Sandra Bullock was handwringingly underwhelming. Julian MacMahon was in danger catching fire due to the woodness of his performance.

Mmm 2 stars only. Not even a extra shallow rating for Julian in a shower scene.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

just came back from night 2 of marc morris's birthday celebs

we all saw ghost rider @ the hospital

bloody hilarious!

AMAZING wig by the always funny nic cage - also bizzare teeth/face/everything

a specially great scene with cgi-enhanced/plastic as folk torso

give the man an oscar! yep it was 15 mins too long as per usual but a good saturday night out at the pictures

rubbish although so many great moments (not as good as crank tho...)
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Nothing's as good as Crank.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

im with you man

i hear that crank 2 is gonna roll :D

my guess is he isn't dead at the end as he has that strange look on his face

perhaps they'll pump him full of that green stuff from re-animator so he will be an all-destroying zombiestatham (we can but dream eh...)

can't really talk about all the other stuff i'm watching as we are now firmly in submission season - some good, some bad...

still not too late to get your shorts n features etc in to us - closing date is 1st june
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Past couple of days, checked out:

Dead Daughters - this is gonna be sharply divisive of the audience, think the only thing everyone will agree on is that it really isn't what you're expecting when you start the DVD... the shakycam was far less annoying than expected, possibly as more of a real feel (think Heat rather than The Bourne Supremacy)

And then Night of the Living Dorks - marketed as American Pie with zombies - pretty damn funny! Has a true alternate ending insofar as it follows a completely different plot threat for the last reel.

As neither is English language (Russian and German respectively), remakes of both have already been greenlit... of the two Dead Daughters could be more interesting if handled well as a decision during post-production (and not the one you'd expect!) changed the film totally, so remake could take the path of the original intent...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

So, three weeks of no laptop are over and I'm officially back!

During this time though, I've finally managed to catch up on various movies I've been wanting to see and not got round to! These have included.......

Posiedon: I loved it, even late at night and shattered I tohught this was good fun, plus seeing Fergie rfom the Black Eyed Peas is no bad thing either :wink:

The break up: I love my romantic comedies and I saw this and have bought it since, I want the Tone Rangers to sing at my birthday party (or the equivalent) and it was just funny, and good and a little different.

There are many more but I have to go unleash my randomness on the ancient egyptians.... pity the dead!
Have you heard of my friends capital letter and comma?

No? Well perhaps you should try them sometime... correct usage will do wonders for your social life.
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

I just saw Premonition last night and I actually thought it was really good. Though I did laugh at a couple of bits I probably shouldn't have. (especially the rolling head!)

I knew it was going to end like that.

Also watched Sorority House Massacre too, on Horror Channel. It's average slasher stuff, I'm sure most of you have seen it. It's essentially a remake of Halloween and Black Christmas. Hehe, it was years ahead of it's time :lol:

I was a bit dissapointed that the screen shot they show when it went for a commercial break wasn't even in the film! If it was then I missed it.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Full Moon Classics

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Just ordered the boxed set so Ican assure everyone that I'll be viewing some fantastic films in a couple of days.

Also am going to order a copy of the After Dark Horror Fest boxed set which looks like it'll be good.

And finally the premier of Brian Yuzna's Beneath Shallow Waters is on Zone Horror this Friday. Although it's got awful reviews. Rotwieler was deserving of its negative reviews.