films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
puppysbitch
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by puppysbitch »

Funny, it was the cheapest 2nd viewing I'd been to see, we got BOGOF tickets lol. Sorry to rub it in...
Bracknell never had that many roundabouts when I lived down that way.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Bearded Avenger wrote:The Odeon in Bracknell had the name correct. May be the most expensive film I've gone to see at the cinema for (especially for a second time) as I got flashed by a speed camera when I was driving in lost circles around all those stoopid roundabouts.
Youre from Bracknell?! :?:
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

dangerous_jamie wrote:
Bearded Avenger wrote:The Odeon in Bracknell had the name correct. May be the most expensive film I've gone to see at the cinema for (especially for a second time) as I got flashed by a speed camera when I was driving in lost circles around all those stoopid roundabouts.
You're from Bracknell?! :?:
No, I'm from Farnborough. I was in Bracknell for a footie match (yes, there is a football team in Bracknell;) and we decided to go to see Diary afterwards. Hence the getting lost.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Every once in a while I go to see something that doesn't involve chainsaws, the walking dead, naked babes and things blowing up, just for a change and to buck the image people might have of me. Yesterday was - don't mock - The Other Boleyn Girl; a nice enough, solid historical costume piece in the standard BBC costume drama mode (it's made by BBC Films). Quite good overall, no idea how close it fits with history. But it does require you to believe the King would throw over Scarlett Johansson for Natalie Portman. Insane. It's Scarlett Johansson, for heaven's sake. Personally, I wouldn't throw over Champion the Wonder Horse for Natalie Portman.

Afterwards I reverted to type with the rather enjoyable Vantage Point. It more or less repeats the same 20 minutes of assassination and bombing from half a dozen different viewpoints (the bodyguard, the President, the news coverage, the bomber etc) before adding on a final reel of pretty impressive action. Worth a look.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Bearded Avenger wrote:
dangerous_jamie wrote:
You're from Bracknell?! :?:
No, I'm from Farnborough. I was in Bracknell for a footie match (yes, there is a football team in Bracknell;) and we decided to go to see Diary afterwards. Hence the getting lost.
Well I live here and even I think the roundabouts are stupid.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i drove an hour or so to Mablethorpe to see WAZ again and it was good to see this on the big screen,with the cinema run by a horror fan,so he can choose some of his own indugences,previous showings have been,Evil Aliens ,The Last Horror movie,shrooms its great to see a cinema thats able to choose its own films,even if nobody sees them.
i had also rewatched Mimic,and i never liked this when i saw it at the cinema,but on DVD and reapraisal its pretty darn good,its the least of all Del Toro's films but still enjoyable,great creature effects though.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I've only missed one day of the main Frightfest events, and on that day they showed Malefique, which I finally got to see last night. I have to say I liked it; good nasty ending. I'm hoping they send me Tears of Kali next. I've also got Scarlet Diva to see but I keep somehow not putting it on; I don't know why.

I caught Windtalkers the other day, which probably started off as a serious movie about how the US Army used Navajo codetalkers during WW2 in the Far East, until John Woo came on board and starting slaughtering extras and blowing things up with a near-orgasmic relish. The battle scenes are great from a technical viewpoint, but the wanton slaughter does get excessive in places. It's not a patch on the delirious madness of Face/Off or the best of his Hong Kong pictures.

Blade: House Of Chthon is the pilot episode to the TV show, which by definition doesn't have a satisfying conclusion as it's basically setting the characters up for the series. As it stands: some neat effects and brief gore, but "Sticky Fingas" is no Wesley Snipes.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

am currently working my way through my copy of Tears of Kali (bought all the FF dvds in 06-malefique is still sealed)..its ok so far. be warned its not enhanced for a widescreen tv.

nacho libre i do not find Jack Black amusing or endearing. So i put off watching this. However it was really quite funny if looked at as brain number. The weak points are when it features JB's "comedy" singing. It feels quirky and fresh over all.

Tell No One now the weight of expectation runied this for me. It was classy and was brilliantly performed by the lead. Nothing surprising storywise.. the main villain is signposted far too early and the end is a long list of revelations that would make Poirot cringe. it will happily fill in a sunday night.

The Deadly Spawn ahhh, not seen this one. Pretty nasty at points and fairly cheesey in others. gore effects are impressive and the monster looks suitably horrendous. seriously flat performances all round help not hinder this.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

The Cottage

Well well well, i felt this was quite good actually. Ok the comedy was a bit forced and Reece was right out of the League of Gents. The Moth phobia thing was a bit silly.

can give or take the very end. it didnt feel out of place. one death is quite pleasing as that person represents everything vile about the UK at the mo and another was quite sad.

a great friday night movie nothing more nothing less. a pain to see it go direct to dvd in the states.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

ghouldrool wrote:The Cottage

can give or take the very end.
The very, very end comes after the end credits ;)

Just got back from it - very good!
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

8) now i have the perfect excuse to see it again :)

only i wish cineworld would not turn the lights back on the second the credits start
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

I'm watching Hatchet, and I am quite annoyed by this fact:

I bought the region 1 "Director's Cut" version, and its only 84 minutes, which a clear 9 minutes off of the European version (although not the UK version).
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Double post!

I just watched Contamination (1980). It was pitched to me as a rip-off of Alien, and judging by the year it was released I would have to say that certain aspects were ripped off from Alien, the eggs especially. But this was way more of a sci-fi actioner than broody ET-based thriller and I bloody loved it. Ian McCulloch gurned his way through most of his poorly looped lines, the rest of the cast made the best of the situation by flinging themselves into it. Everybody looks like they had a great time. Especially the SFX people, the *ahem* chest-busting scenes at the start were a riot.

7/10
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

dangerous_jamie wrote:Double post!

I just watched Contamination (1980). It was pitched to me as a rip-off of Alien, and judging by the year it was released I would have to say that certain aspects were ripped off from Alien, the eggs especially. But this was way more of a sci-fi actioner than broody ET-based thriller and I bloody loved it. Ian McCulloch gurned his way through most of his poorly looped lines, the rest of the cast made the best of the situation by flinging themselves into it. Everybody looks like they had a great time. Especially the SFX people, the *ahem* chest-busting scenes at the start were a riot.

7/10
i havent seen Contamination in years not since the badly cut VHS edit,i must work my through the guilty pleasures of my boxes of the banned,still i have the super funky disco style soundtrack of Contamination.
i caught up with Resident Evil 3 ,i really like this one much better than than the 1st,and the 2nd one is the poorest of the trilogy,still sweeping camerawork great action,super stunts,even if they are cgi,its everything that Day Of The Dead could have been or even Land Of The Dead,so many nods to different films in this one,even the zombies from nightmare city get in one it too,yet in the commentary Romero barely gets a mention.
The Kingdom on HD looks just superb,still its a great film from Peter Berg and a far better picture,than people give it credit for,and the only film,thats turned a profit out of the recent spate of hollywood iraq ,middle east films,absolutley great performances by the palestinian actors,playing the saudi cops.good extras on the disc as well.
from out this film i have added Paradise Now to my rental list
and finally KM31 arrived in my post, i liked this lots at FF but it looks great on dvd too,the disc has a few trailers and making off extras.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Roman - think Spiral on a much lower budget. Couldn't work out if it was or wasn't a good acting turn from Lucky McKee.

Below - atmospheric, but not particularly scary WW2 haunted submarine caper. I always enjoy spotting the British character actors. And you can't go wrong with Dexter Fletcher and Jason Flemyng (or whoever you spell the latter's surname).