films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

History will prove Lady In The Water to be an underrated, misunderstood classic, mark my words... :wink:

But I can't defend The Crappening...
First things first, stay calm.
finalgirl
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by finalgirl »

soulmining wrote:History will prove Lady In The Water to be an underrated, misunderstood classic, mark my words... :wink:

But I can't defend The Crappening...
Ah so I'm not the only person who thought that film sucked! Menacing blades of grass just not really doing it for me, lol.

I just saw the remake of REC ,Quarantine. Bit pointless really as it was practically a scene for scene translation. But hey.
"I'm your boyfriend now Nancy" - Freddy K
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw 2 very different films.

First up 4 Christmases. Not as twee as you think it is.The combination of Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau. Made this film entertaining silliness. That made me chuckle a couple of times.

Then Lakeview Terrace. Neil La Bute has finally redeemed himself after Wicker Man. To be honest could this film be anywhere near as atricious as the Wicker Man

Best performance was Samuel L Jackson. A very disturbing character and kept you thinking how far would he go. It was great being in the audience and hearig their gasps to what is being played out on the screen.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
finalgirl
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by finalgirl »

Been to see The Children today. Really enjoyed it, one of the best films I've seen this year I think. Creepiest evil-looking kids ever!
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Quarantine yesterday, a good remake of [rec] but once you have seen [rec] Quarantine loses it's scariness.

Gonna catch The Children next week
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Transporter 3

The best of the lot by a country mile. much like a Euro spiritual sequel to Crank. Great villain, heart breakingly beautiful woman and the ever reliable Statham.

Lakeview Terrace

agree with lupogirl. i really enjoyed this as a throwback to those 90s mental thrillers. A good aspect being the musings on mixed relationships and the revelation that the core prejudice is based on some very personal issues to our villain.

And if you have never seen Lust in the Dust... tut tut.. amend your failings and see it.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
finalgirl
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by finalgirl »

krispyg wrote:Quarantine yesterday, a good remake of [rec] but once you have seen [rec] Quarantine loses it's scariness.

Gonna catch The Children next week
I thought exactly the same about Quarantine, shame really. Watch The Children though as its ace! :D
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

ghouldrool wrote:Transporter 3

The best of the lot by a country mile. much like a Euro spiritual sequel to Crank. Great villain, heart breakingly beautiful woman and the ever reliable Statham.

Lakeview Terrace

agree with lupogirl. i really enjoyed this as a throwback to those 90s mental thrillers. A good aspect being the musings on mixed relationships and the revelation that the core prejudice is based on some very personal issues to our villain.

And if you have never seen Lust in the Dust... tut tut.. amend your failings and see it.
Wow! Did you watch the same film as us??
Lakeview Terrace never actually amounted to anything. No issues were properly looked at. And all the bollocks about it being down to Jackson's wife running off with a white man that makes him not like a mixed race couple. The filmakers were too scared to make a black man a racist so instead make him a mixed up man who is actually nice underneath it all. Also the blantant over use of the approaching fire mirroring the building "tension" between the neighbours, was straight out of a GCSE english paper - "look how clever we are, we know what pathetic fallacy means!" Also Jackson played it like the Virgin adverts, lots of shouting and angry faces - what a way to pay the bills!
But then again, I've not liked much this year. Did you spot the Watermelon man poster in the couples house though - best part of the film! :lol:
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Just saw it as well! Haven't seen the first 2, but this one was okay, bit like a more violent Mission Impossible. Have to check out the other 2 sometime.

Also saw Mother Of Tears recently, omfg that was bad!!!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Wolfshade wrote:

Just saw it as well! Haven't seen the first 2, but this one was okay, bit like a more violent Mission Impossible. Have to check out the other 2 sometime.

Also saw Mother Of Tears recently, omfg that was bad!!!
Agree with the comments about Transporter 3. She was striking but I thought there lacked any chemistry between them. Shame that!. Jason Stratham did look rather nice! Some stunning stunts which would not look out of place in a James Bond film.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

The main problem with Transporter 3 is actually the same problem with Quantum Of Sausage last month. The action sequences have again been overedited not to the point of incomprehensibility, but to the point of boredom. A high-speed car chase through the woods full of screeching tyres and gunshots - and it's so rapidly cut together that it just ends up as dull. And not one but two of Statham's celebrated eight-on-one shirtless punchups are just killed stone dead by the pointless cutting in which no shot is allowed to last more than eight frames, lest the audience allow their attention to wander off onto something else like what they're having for dinner tonight or whether So-and-so should be voted off Strictly Come Mincing - so the appropriately named Olivier Megaton waves his camera around like a lightsabre yelling "ARE YOU EXCITED YET?!?!?!?!" in your ear. Well, no, ultimately I wasn't excited. There's no sense in hiring Corey Yuen to do the martial arts choreography and then shooting it so you can't actually see what's going on. A disappointment; I liked the first Transporter movie a lot (and I didn't think the second was too bad, though not as much fun, and it did get silly in places), and seeing bits of it again on TV the other night just reinforced where T3 fails.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

streetrw wrote:The main problem with Transporter 3 is actually the same problem with Quantum Of Sausage last month. The action sequences have again been overedited not to the point of incomprehensibility, but to the point of boredom. A high-speed car chase through the woods full of screeching tyres and gunshots - and it's so rapidly cut together that it just ends up as dull. And not one but two of Statham's celebrated eight-on-one shirtless punchups are just killed stone dead by the pointless cutting in which no shot is allowed to last more than eight frames, lest the audience allow their attention to wander off onto something else like what they're having for dinner tonight or whether So-and-so should be voted off Strictly Come Mincing - so the appropriately named Olivier Megaton waves his camera around like a lightsabre yelling "ARE YOU EXCITED YET?!?!?!?!" in your ear. Well, no, ultimately I wasn't excited. There's no sense in hiring Corey Yuen to do the martial arts choreography and then shooting it so you can't actually see what's going on. A disappointment; I liked the first Transporter movie a lot (and I didn't think the second was too bad, though not as much fun, and it did get silly in places), and seeing bits of it again on TV the other night just reinforced where T3 fails.
i like that you use Quantum Of Sausage it almost beats calling it Question of Sport a la Mark Kermode
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Hello Doris! wrote:
streetrw wrote:The main problem with Transporter 3 is actually the same problem with Quantum Of Sausage last month. The action sequences have again been overedited not to the point of incomprehensibility, but to the point of boredom. A high-speed car chase through the woods full of screeching tyres and gunshots - and it's so rapidly cut together that it just ends up as dull. And not one but two of Statham's celebrated eight-on-one shirtless punchups are just killed stone dead by the pointless cutting in which no shot is allowed to last more than eight frames, lest the audience allow their attention to wander off onto something else like what they're having for dinner tonight or whether So-and-so should be voted off Strictly Come Mincing - so the appropriately named Olivier Megaton waves his camera around like a lightsabre yelling "ARE YOU EXCITED YET?!?!?!?!" in your ear. Well, no, ultimately I wasn't excited. There's no sense in hiring Corey Yuen to do the martial arts choreography and then shooting it so you can't actually see what's going on. A disappointment; I liked the first Transporter movie a lot (and I didn't think the second was too bad, though not as much fun, and it did get silly in places), and seeing bits of it again on TV the other night just reinforced where T3 fails.
i like that you use Quantum Of Sausage it almost beats calling it Question of Sport a la Mark Kermode
how about Question of sanity?
Quality of sterling?
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

not posted much lately on what my viewings been like so
Dead Set arrived,i only rewatched it for the extras.
The omega man,it may be a seventies classic,but i really do prefer I Am legend,well only as long as it has the alternate ending.
ah now onto a film that really set amanda platell off on one,Donkey Punch,aka Loveboat,well i made that bit up,so it wasnt as bad as i thought,nor was it as shocking as i thought it might be,spending a year at college with a class of girls aged 18,really does open ones eyes,still it wasnt totally bad,but just seemed to lose its pace towards the end,
i must watch Dead Calm again.
The Notorious Bettie Page,not a bad movie and really well done,not quite the comedy it made itself out to be,still worth a watch.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I quite enjoyed The Transporter and thought Transporter 2 was better, a slicker, more fun sequel... Transporter 3 sadly is garbage, perhaps the worst action film I've seen all year. Which is a shame. It's one saving grace is Jason Statham who is The Stath again and very good at it, but I just felt sorry for him as he's given nothing to work with and they go and make his character far too soppy in this one.

As for the rest of the film, where do I start? As streetrw rightly said, the editing/direction is all over the shop leaving us with incomprehensible fight scenes. The car chase (in fast forward half the time) is the dumbest car chase I've seen - and since when did two large lorries race each other along a road for miles so that The Stath *has* to go up on two wheels (unaided) to get past them? As for the underwater/airbags bit, well, that was beyond dumb. Honestly, Luc Besson must be writing screenplays based on notes he made when he was 12 years old. And the girl... prettyish maybe, although I kept thinking Bianca from Eastenders with shorter hair... but flip was she annoying going on and on and on and on and on about bloody food all the time. I didn't buy their relationship one bit, just terrible. Olivier Megat(r)on - great name though.
First things first, stay calm.