films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

soulmining wrote:Oh yes, the sound was backwards as well... although I'm sure I heard something about John Travolta being in league with the Devil... :D
I'd have given anything to have seen that, it would have been so funny, maybe Ian can get hold of the trailer and run it backwards during a Trailer Trash in August.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Shame no backwards trailer for me. The projectionist was awake. :cry:

Ha ha does sound rather amusing upside down and backwards!!

Just come back from see Amazing Grace.

Thought is was a very interesting and at times moving film.. The story not only focused on the aboliltion of Slavery but also the friendship over the years between Wilberforce and William Pitt. Also the origins of the said title. Some great perfomances from Ioad Gruffudd and Benedict Cumberbatch and Youssou N'Dou who I knew as singer not as a actor.

3 stars
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Saw Sunshine last night. Very disappointing. I was expecting some intelligent and highly aware and instead I got a middle of the road thriller with some very good display effects.
Oh well.

Sincerely yours
Voor
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

72,606 and counting...wow

me an alan just saw shooter the new antoine fuqua/ marky mark wahlberg movie.

good popcorn munchin trash it kept us both chortling throughout - go along not expecting too much and you should be pleasantly surprised - at one point i asked alan if this was a remake as i felt like i'd seen it before and he assured me it wasn't.

we've all seen so many new films over the last week or so..but at the moment i am sworn to secrecy, but the plentiful submissions so far have been ace and we have made some corking discoveries... i promise to share when the time is right.

btw for a VERY cute picture of ian check out the organizers page on the home page of this site - i've just noticed it has been changed - and i can't remember when the picture was taken
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Paul,

You've undoubtedly seen the Keenan Ivory Wayans "star" vehicle Most Wanted with John Voight in his Enemy Of The State-sleazy-bureaucrat mode ?

Shooter appears to be the exact same plot.

I'll still catch it for shits n giggles though. Looks taut enough.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I saw The Hills Have Eyes II last night. I quite liked the previous film, but this is a sequel in name alone really with a paper thin plot (army rookies stuck in the hills with the mutants) and no attempt at characterisation - BUT it is exceptionally violent and gory and certainly delivers the goods on that score.

Also saw 300 earlier in the week... I'm sure a couple of the mutants from THHE2 had escaped into that film! It was okay, but nothing special - as nice as the visuals were it didn't mask what was a rather plodding story. But admittedly I'm not a fan of the historical epic genre.

Sadly no strange trailers this week, the Cineworld staff must have been concentrating for a change... :wink:
First things first, stay calm.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

aah giles

so that's what he muttered to me during the film

thanks mate
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

how was the gig phil

and what was the recomm band from earlier?
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

the hills have eyes 2
OK anyone who knows me knows i despise the Aja remake (fan wank shite,"brutal" er no), but this sequal is a much more mixed bag. and its a "story" we have seen mumerous times in DTV turds.

Gone is the comically over the top score...good... but its been replaced with? Almost no score at all...bad!

Gone is the spastic notion of a 100 lbs phone salesman despatching several hardened mountain hunters ...what does this new offering give us?
Worst military unit ever.. but at least this time the story tries to explain this away. They are merely National Guard halfway through their training. BUT plot flaws here...in the beginning only ONE military man is assigned to protect 3 scientist in an area known to be full of hostiles....yet they need several people to deliver a box?????

Yet the final combatants are... the weediest of the men and a woman who would pass for 16 yrs old...

The make ups are lazy as hell....also they leave a body just lying around..these are cannibals..they would take the body! and why do cannibals in movies always eat raw intestines? eeewww with all that excrement and filth? for Hills have Eyes 3 i want to see humans being filleted, basted, seasoned and stir fried or something..

But at least some of the gore is ok, too much cg blood, and the picture is clean and crisp making much much better use of the hills themselves both visually and narratively...

A rental at most....and not as fun as the original sequal -fond memories of The Reaper and Beast flashbacks...and still want to know if Ruby did die!
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Hills Have Eyes 2

I really liked the first one, but not this one. Even though much of the first was essentially the same as the original it still managed to scare me. This one didn't. The best scene (as ghool droul was saying) is when they are trying to get down the hill. But I don't understand why they couldn't go back the way they came. Some of the gore is ok but the monsters are boring and, as well as having dull makeup, they have no personality either. And the only character I had any sympathy for was the anti-war guy. I bet Wrong Turn 2 turns out better.

This was ok but took itself way too seriously. We were giggling at all the silly dialogue and the Sparta soldiers, while buff, did look extremely daft. The battles were ok, but I've seen better. And it could have done without the voiceover that basically tells you what's happening on screen.

I Want Candy

The only good bit is a Jimmy Carr line that's in the trailer. By the way, I recommend the two Jimmy Carr live dvds. I just saw them and he is hilarious.

Sorority House Massacre 2

Surely this has got to be the pinnacle of slasher sleaze? 5 women in a sorority house get bumped off by a killer and they spend virtually the whole film in their undies! It's rubbish but it made me laugh.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Have to say THE HILLS HAVE EYES 2 was no classic. Entertaining enough, and (dis)agreeably nasty from time to time, but there's no real depth. Whereas the first one (remake AND original) had softie civilians forced to unleash their inner psycho to defeat the monsters, this one had hardass soldier types who've already made some of that journey. But my main annoyance was that I knew pretty well immediately who was going to survive and was proved right.

Nothing now until SUNSHINE next week, unles I can unleash my inner slob and get some DVDs watched.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

hills have eyes 2 - no brainer horror - could do better C+

but what a fast, dumb, entertaining, sick n violent piece of trash it is

especially liked the brighter than bright teeth on all the leads - especially shit-o-man - it was almost like seeing sunshine

also it seemed short, i wanted another 10 min climactic set-piece (and i REALLY liked the hot estellawarrenalike in the lead, yep easily pleased)

good the bad and the queen last night @ one of the last ever hammersmith palais gigs (another london venue bites the dust) a great and very late night out

looking 4ward 2 sunshine tuesday and blades of glory wednesday
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Saw TMNT over the weekend. I thought it was terrific! I haven't been that keen on most of these cgi films but this was excellent. The animation, specifically the turtles, looked incredible and I loved the different ways they were lit.

One criticism would be about the plot. It was a bit shit, something about 13 monsters and stars being aligned. But that didn't really matter because the strongest aspect of the film was the rivalry between Leonardo and Raphael. You can tell that this is what the makers really wanted to concentrate on but obviously there had to be some kind of story too.

Maybe I'm biased cos I was a big TMNT (or TMHT as it was then) fan when I was a kid. But I loved this film and can't wait to get the dvd.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Funny you (Laymonite) should mention Wrong Turn 2... Paul said the other night that he's heard it is very good, much better than the first one (not hard in my opinion) - anyway, I've just seen the trailer over at Dread Central and it does look like being a lot of fun. Perhaps a midnight screening in August?

I just saw the film that beat Pan's Labyrinth to the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film - The Lives Of Others. Whilst not quite the *five* star rating that Empire gave it this month, it is nonetheless a really engrossing story of the Stasi and one of their surveillance campaigns in 1984 before the Berlin wall came down. Features the fella that was in Black Book and is worth checking out if you fancy a break from blood and guts!

Also saw a great Thai film on DVD called Citizen Dog by the director of Tears Of The Black Tiger. A surreal romantic comedy, very much like Amelie and was visually stunning and very quirky... the director has just finished a horror film called The Unseeable, so am curious to see how that turns out.
First things first, stay calm.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just saw the trailer for Wrong Turn 2. Looks interesting more t.e.e.n.s.(keeps up coming up with g) being chased, sliced and diced. Quite like Wrong Turn 1 even though the make up on the mutant family was naff.

Talk about naff make up. Just come back from seeing Hill Have Eyes 2. Went in very low expectations and came out rather enjoying it. Agreed with the comments about plot. What plot ? The National Guard fodder who inept in shooting anything but themselves. Some good deaths. Rather like the the slow motion overacting death. Thought that was amusing. While the mutants looked like the long lost family of the Toxic Avenger. Good dumb fun with characters who you didn't care who got picked off first.

Almost forgot a film that starts with"fudge you" or" cakesucker"- far too polite to put the obvious swear words on 'ere- you know the characters are going to be totally brainless. Hooorah!!!

3 dumb stars
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"