films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Grindhouse wrote:Kill Bill vols 1&2
the 1st time i saw KillBill vol1 whatever enjoyment i had from the film,was swiftly taken away,with the house of leaves sequence in B&W,although it was done for censorship reasons,it just took away from the film.
i had forgotten how great this film sounds,just so clear and superb,with a great soundtrack to some superb scenes,Uma looks great,and its a great homage to all martial arts samurai movies.
Vol 2 is much a more character driven, dialogue film,slower in tone.but with this feels very much a QT film,Vol1 doesnt it flows so fast its pace i fast,and feels as though all the dialogue was sucked out and put into vol2.
great films but im more inclined to rewatch vol1 more than 2.
and if you havent seen the jap version on dvd, do so as you wont feel like watching the western version again
Hurrah!
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw The Mist in Bradford at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. The growing suspicion and distrust amongst the characters,which made you wonder if the real danger is inside or out. (Keeping it vague) The only gripe is the ending, not fully convinced by it.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

i saw hollywood chainsaw hookers yesterday, which is one of the first 'b' movies i've ever seen years and years ago. It's about....well, have a guess. many people on this forum will probably think it's terrible, but I just love cheesy low budget stuff.

also checked machine girl which was totaly mental. Cute japanese girl on a quest for vengeance with a machine gun as an arm? How can that possibly go wrong. Well, it can't. I loved it. too bad it's a region 1 dvd so I couldn't watch it with surround sound but oh well. can't wait for Tokyo gore police now.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Ah, Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers -- or Hollywood [picture of a chainsaw] Hookers, if you were a youth in 1980s Britain. Brinke Stevens, Michelle Bauer and Linnea Quigley all in one film. Magical times, friend, magial times.

Fans should* checkout Hollywood Hot Tub Party if you can find it -- all the..ahem...best bits from HCH and a whole bunch more Fred Olen Ray/Jim Wynorski pictures. A greatest hits medly compared a gagle of the most infamous of 80s Scream Queens... in a hottub! It's kind of brilliant when you think about it.

* the "should" is very relative here, obviously.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

giles edwards wrote:Ah, Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers -- or Hollywood [picture of a chansaw] Hookers, if you were a youth in 1980s Britain. Brinke Stevens, Michelle Bauer and Linnea Quigley all in one film. Magical times, friend, magial times.

Fans should* checkout Hollywood Hot Tub Party if you can find it -- all the..ahem...best bits from HCH and a whole bunch more Fred Olen Ray/Jim Wynorski pictures. A greatest hits medly compared a gagle of the most infamous of 80s Scream Queens... in a hottub! It's kind of brilliant when you think about it.

yeah there was loads of nonsense going on that a title couldnt actually say chainsaw it had to be chain saw,not that it made any difference to folks like me who rented films,like creepozoids or hollywood chainsaw hookers,and theres that title piranha women in the avocado jungle,speaking of women in bath tubs i still have around somewhere a copy of film called Breeders which bizarrely had an alien with a huge snork of some kind impregnating women,well they all end up in a bath tub naked writhing around in milk,highly watchable if you like this kind of thing.
at about that time i had a copy of living dead at the manchester morgue,where u actaully didnt see the morgue or manchester or any living dead it was cut so badly to nothing.
& not much later EIV released dawn of the dead on big box vhs which was badly cut,yet you could still rent and watch day of the dead,bizare times,bizarre decisons in the early 90s by the BBFC
Last edited by Grindhouse on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

just checked IMDB and FOL did Armed Response what other film has david carradine,Lee van cleef & Michael Berryman,dealing death to bad guys in chinatown answer none,this was top stuff on the shelves for renting,those EIV vids were full of great trailers.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
arrangedletters
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by arrangedletters »

I have a recent dvd releaseof living dead at the manchester morgue.. there's still no manchester or morgue in it. but mostimprotantly there isa nuclear combine harvester. my favourite plot device ever!

I just watched bill plympton's I married a strabge person. Absolutely bizarre brilliance. I only found out after i started watchingit that I'd seen it as a young un watching late night channel 4. channel 4 used to be great.. they should restart the late night madness that was their early morning schedule. for shame. Also just watched king of kong which i thoroughly enjoyed. :) I've got to wait for very slow downloads of bill plymptons other features. damn his relative obscurity and lack of dvd releases.
[img]http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/48648/1218304903/queenvicassshakemk2.gif[/img] My "trying to get a piece of short fiction published in People's Friend magazine" Blog!! www.arrangedletters.blogspot.com
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Relative obscurity? Bill Plympton's Shorts was all over Paramount Comedy when I was a wee lad.

I just watched Mr. Brooks, an attempt on a new take on standard serial killer movies. It was interesting, even though it sagged in the middle. Performances from all concerned were pretty good (Costner, Moore), some were unexpectantly good (Dane Cook) and others you always knew were going to be good (William Hurt).
The plot deals with addiction, and the end is pretty gore-soaked.

I'd give it a 3.5/5
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

giles edwards wrote:Ah, Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers -- or Hollywood [picture of a chainsaw] Hookers, if you were a youth in 1980s Britain. Brinke Stevens, Michelle Bauer and Linnea Quigley all in one film. Magical times, friend, magial times.

a quick torrent search only came up with 'hollywood hot tubs' might be the same, or it's an 80's soft core sex comedy. either way it should be interesting
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Try "Scream Queen Hot Tub Party", which is the title I saw it under. Strangely, I can't find a record for this movie on the BBFC's site, whether searching via Fred Olen Ray, Jim Wynorski, Arch Stanton, Bill Carson (those last two were Fred'n'Jim's directorial aliases and derive, I think, from names on tombstones in The Good The Bad and The Ugly), any of the cast, or even the distributor, the cheerfully cack Colourbox.... As for Hollywood ******** Hookers - I saw it at the Scala, on 35mm, at Shock Around The Clock 2, in July 1988, uncut (before the BBFC demanded swingeing cuts for video).

Since signing up to LoveFilm I've been like the proverbial kid in the sweetshop, gleefully (and messily) adding everything by Jess Franco, Joe D'Amato, Fulci, Lenzi, whoever else, without reading the blurbs or anything.... This is how I end up with this week's Franco atrocity, Love Letters Of A Portuguese Nun, in which an innocent country girl gets packed off to a convent full of Satanists and undergoes the usual humiliations and abuses. It's not very good, heavy on the Catholic-bashing and not very subtle about it. This is the British version which is cut by over six minutes by the BBFC - presumably star "Susan Hemingway" wasn't 18 when the movie was made (or they can't provide proof), as any scene in which the character is nude or topless is obviously shorn away. This is no great loss. It's terrible either way. I may actually go back onto LoveFilm and prune a few titles.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

sweet i found it under that title on cinemageddon. cheers for the tip. now it's just a matter of waiting paitiently and hoping it's not a fake file or some sort of strange coded stuff :)
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

In Search of a Midnight Kiss - not horror, but a funny and moving American indie somewhere bewteen Before Sunrise and Clerks. Well worth checking out.

http://www.insearchofamidnightkiss.com/
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Finally saw [ :arrow: REC] and I can see why a fuss was made about it. Although it was more low key and less hyper than I expected. Typically though the protagonsts insist in putting themselves in danger.

I Filmflexed Southland Tales and after 50 minutes something went wrong with my cable, meaning I lost the entire film. A good thing too, because it was a boring mess. Stiffler was pretty good in a straight role. Not too sure ahout The Rock's acting chops though.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

I really dig Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as an actor. He was hilarious in Be Cool and is better action star than ten Vin Diesels. So he doesn't have the acting chops of De Niro or Pacino... It doesn't matter.

Last night, after Mr. Brooks. I watched Jeff Lieberman's Satan's Little Helper, from the dude that brought you Squirm and Just Before Dawn. I caught some of it on Zone Horror once, but swiftly hopped to another channel as I hate only getting half a story.

It was odd. A horror comedy that was neither funny nor scary. The gore was lacklustre and the plot was weak. But for some inexplicable reason, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whether it was Katheryn Winnick dressed as a "rennaisance slut" for the whole movie or Amanda Plummer hideously over-acting as the cool, stoner mom.

Basically, a kid obsesses over a video game called Satan's Little Helper goes out on halloween to find Satan to kill his sister's new boyfriend. He meets who he believes is Satan, but in actuality may be a mortal serial killer in a cheap mask.

There a no thrills or chills and not many spills either but all in all, it was an enjoyable romp although I can't help feeling it should have been made by Charles Band and co for an altogether cultier fan experience.

3/5

I have heard talk that this may become a franchise, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Confucius (or at least Egg Shen) say (in vaguely un-PC fashion): "any Jeff Lieberman veeeeeery good Jeff Lieberman."

A good friend of mine (and Frightfest's!) actually got me a sales card for Satan's Little Helper on which Lieberman has written "To Giles, Don't Eat The Blue Acid!! Jeff". Which is all kinds of great.

The man is a curiously unsung auteur. Cthulhu knows if Kevin or anyone can find them imid the ones-and-zeros, but in the offline recesses of the Gore In The Store archives, I wrote a lengthy piece on Lieberman and Squirm.