films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
McReadys Beard
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by McReadys Beard »

Have to agree with Grindhiouse regarding The Serpent and the Rainbow...this movie is a forgotten gem of Craven's with a delightfully chilling premise throughout and some fantastic perfomances from the lead actors. I remember seeing the original trailer for this back in the day and even that put the heebie jeebies up me!
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

many thanks to The Savage Intruder for lending me jack ketchums the girl next door [/b and leaving my freind traumatised after watching it, i would come back into the room and see the film paused with her weeping and it hadnt even got to the darkest part,but such is the power of that film,a very dark fairytale and the flipside to stand by me.
and its source is the shocking real life case of Sylvia Likens.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_m ... ens/1.html
next up also from Savage intruder Funny Games michael haneke's original.
im still not sure what to make of it at times,i liked it other times,couldnt care for it,i liked the twist,where one of the boys speaks to the camera,acknowledging we are there watching whats going on as we the viewer are the audience,and then it doesnt play by its rules,rewinding so that one of the boys doesnt get killed,still its an interesting film and deserves another viewing,not sure what people will think of the remake?
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

More giallo madness by post. Cold Eyes Of Fear is okay, as a lawyer and his girlfriend (for the evening) are held hostage by a gangster with an accent of Dick Van Dyke proportions. Mainly notable for some great 1971 London West End exteriors (including a cinema showing Pete Walker's Cool It Carol). It's marred by a largely dissonant Ennio Morricone score of honking and thumping, except for one early piece of Mancini-ish easy lounge, which I've an idea was written for a different film entirely.

The Case Of The Bloody Iris is terrific, and if it had gone under its alternative title of Why Those Strange Drops Of Blood On The Body Of Jennifer? it would have been even better. Masked killer? Girls in peril? Easy listening soundtrack? Red herrings abundant? Comedy homosexual? Barmy motivations? Questionable se.xual politics? Fabulous apartments? All present and correct, and in widescreen as well. Totally bonkers, great fun.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

REC i really liked this film,the sound was superb throughout,i wasnt as scared as i had wanted to be from this,thats not the films fault,empire online stuck up a few clips and i watched & theres scenes that you kind of know whats going to happen next, but its done so very well and the ghoul at the end was fantastic.
still it tips its hat to genre greats and thats no bad thing.

The screen was about a quarter full and the lights were too bright to have that sense of being there,along with coke drinking, popcorn munching film goers to remind me its only a movie, its only a movie its only a...............
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

In the showing of [REC] that I attended there were 6 people.

I think it stuck too closely to 80s conventions, don't get me wrong... it was darn good. I was expecting quite a lot though and it didn't hit the standards I had.

Shame really.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
paddyo
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by paddyo »

just got back from seeing REC at my local cinema... i really enjoyed it and found it incredibly tense pretty much all the way through with many scary scenes... great film :)
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Just a question - has REC actually been released yet? Where is it viewable?
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

streetrw wrote:Just a question - has REC actually been released yet? Where is it viewable?
well i dont know my local Odeon in Lincoln squeezed it in as one of their directors chair screenings,which means a one off showing.
they had some flyers stuck up saying a new season of films for the directors chair,and El Orfanato will make it around May for the cinema going folks of Lincoln along with the grindhouse double bill.

look for a cinema thats showing it, i now travel round 4 or 5 local cinemas as well as my nearest showcase to give those cinemas my patronage when they have films i want to see at reduced prices quite often.
will be seeing The Cottage on Thursday night.

still good to see another local fellow frightfester on the forums and at the same & only showing of [REC] as well welcome to the forums paddyo
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Just a question - has REC actually been released yet? Where is it viewable?

no it is released next friday, selected Odeons ran previews last night
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Davo
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Davo »

Watched SOUTHLAND TALES the other night. And while it is infuriating, messy, very pretentious and all the other things the critics said, I also found it wildly ambitious, often funny and frequently intelligent.

It’s a drastic edit clearly, and heavily reliant on a voiceover from Justin Timberlake that sounds like Alvin from the chipmunks.

But it attains Lynch-like weirdness in places, and looks and sounds absolutlely great in a Pop Art kind of way. And while it's full of references and allusions to other films like Mulholland Drive, Repo Man and Kiss me Deadly, it definitely creates it's own unique vibe. It's never, ever boring that’s for sure.

I'm eager to see a much longer directors cut - there's just too many ideas for this version so it ends up being very unfocused and only sporadically powerful. The Rock wears the expression throughout of a man who has just been introduced to the script and told to act it out entirely on the spot with no retakes. Which may - or may not - be the point

SM Gellar looks absolute filth in it, mind. In a good way of course.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

ghouldrool wrote:Just a question - has REC actually been released yet? Where is it viewable?

no it is released next friday, selected Odeons ran previews last night
Apparently a lot of Odeons are showing previews next Tuesday night as well.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

streetrw wrote:The Case Of The Bloody Iris is terrific, and if it had gone under its alternative title of Why Those Strange Drops Of Blood On The Body Of Jennifer? it would have been even better. Masked killer? Girls in peril? Easy listening soundtrack? Red herrings abundant? Comedy homosexual? Barmy motivations? Questionable se.xual politics? Fabulous apartments? All present and correct, and in widescreen as well. Totally bonkers, great fun.
I watched this the other day as well. I'd add: "George Hilton?", "Edwige Fenesh naked?" to the list of positive attributes. Not the best giallo I've seen but an extraordinary amount of fun with one genuinely brilliant death scene in the open air. Nice to see the priest from Eyeball in another suitably hilarious wacky-old-chap bit part.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Saw two films recently that I'm allowed to talk about;

First up, Southland Tales, and I agree with Davo's comments above that it is a mess and it is sprawling, and half the information you need is in the bloody graphic novels as opposed to the film itself, but... I still really enjoyed it.

In this current age of mass-market driven 'wholesome' entertainment, it's a breath of fresh air to have a director as uniquely visioned as Richard Kelly who will not bow down to the LCD of cinema audiences. Check it out - you'll find it's surprisingly watchable, despite not knowing entirely what's going on all the time, and it's a lot more accessible that recent Lynch...

Also finally caught up on The Mist which was great. Darabont should only be allowed to direct Stephen King adaptations from now on. Ok, some dodgy CGI here and there, some King cliches (the religious woman for instance), and I'm not the biggest fan of Thomas Jane, but this is very good stuff.

The ending is awesome - but I won't spoil that one for you. Order yyour Region 1 version now, cos there's still not a sniff of a UK release for this film as yet...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
paddyo
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by paddyo »

Grindhouse wrote:
streetrw wrote:Just a question - has REC actually been released yet? Where is it viewable?
well i dont know my local Odeon in Lincoln squeezed it in as one of their directors chair screenings,which means a one off showing.
they had some flyers stuck up saying a new season of films for the directors chair,and El Orfanato will make it around May for the cinema going folks of Lincoln along with the grindhouse double bill.

look for a cinema thats showing it, i now travel round 4 or 5 local cinemas as well as my nearest showcase to give those cinemas my patronage when they have films i want to see at reduced prices quite often.

still good to see another local fellow frightfester on the forums and at the same & only showing of [REC] as well welcome to the forums paddyo

Thanks for the welcome mate :) seems like a really cool forum, with lots of informed, knowledgable people here :)

so grindhouse is definitely going to be shown at Lincoln? that will be ace if it is, if only to see the fake trailers on the big screen!!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

paddyo wrote:
Grindhouse wrote:

Thanks for the welcome mate :) seems like a really cool forum, with lots of informed, knowledgable people here :)

so grindhouse is definitely going to be shown at Lincoln? that will be ace if it is, if only to see the fake trailers on the big screen!!
Oooo a newbie.... have you paid the forum registration costs... you get a free welcome patch with each payment... all you need to do is sent a cheque for £15 to:

Puppy Enterprises
You've been had road,
gotcha
england
PU33Y

:D

WELCOME!!!!

Not watching any movies at the mo... watching sopranos seasons 1 - 6 :D