films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
McReadys Beard
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by McReadys Beard »

Now I know this film isnt strictly a horror movie (as in not at all!) but I recently went to a preview screening of "In Bruges" with Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson & Ralph Fiennes. Set, surprisingly, in bruges it tells the story of two hitman who, after bodging a job, are hiding out in Belgium. In a nutshell that is it but it is a fantastic comedy / drama with laugh out loud performances from all of the actors but from Colin Farrell in particular. A film that includes such treasures as a cocaine addled racist dwarf actor filming a "european homage" to Don't Look Now and a foul mouthed performance from Ralph Fiennes should not be missed . Give it a go when it is released next week you will not be disappointed
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

I watched Behind The Mask last night, which was a nice spoof/homage to the slasher genre. Starring many faces from syndicated TV shows, the acting was pretty good.

The film was amusing and riddled with in-jokes although it lost itself in the end with its poor twist and silly ending.

7/10
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Laymonite wrote:
MaxRenn wrote:I'm not sure they do, I think a lot of people view it as just an efficient, nasty thriller and ignore the lecturing.
That's how I viewed it. I knew there was meant to be some kind of message in there but I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

I can't access you tube at work, would anyone mind summing up Mark Kermode's thoughts on it? Does he like it or not?

EDIT: Never mind, I just read his review on the guardian website.
Essentially, he didn't like it. He found it irritating having Micheal Haneke telling him he was a bad person for two hours for liking genre films. He thought most of it's points had been beetter made in actual genre films like TCM and Henry, and that Heneke was misguided in thinking that remaking it in english would attract an audience of people who liked Saw (just an example) to what is essentially a hectoring art film in any language.

That sound about right to everyone who heard or saw the review?
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Yeah, that's pretty much what I understood from the guardian website. And I agree with him.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Laymonite wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much what I understood from the guardian website. And I agree with him.
Well I've only seen the original version, but given the remake is shot for shot the same it will be fair to say that I agree with him too.

I'm not a big Heneke fan, I saw Benny's Video ages ago at a film festival and hated it and while I will conceed that Cache is very well done, it just didn't really do much for me
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

The Condemned - very poor rip off of The Running Man and Battle Royale. You know what I really hate? Mindless violence that tries to excuse itself by adding a moralistic subtext. It's a hypocritical piece of crap, and the action isn't even well orchestrated.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

I watched 'The Mist' this evening, and just to echo other comments before, this is really good. One of the best films of the year so far.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

I'm feeling rather sleepy today because just as i was going to go to bed I noticed that BBC1 was showing The Boys From Brazil, which I'd never seen. A film rightly considered a classic, even if ot's basically made from a lot of very short scenes, with I assume much cropping from the original novel. The gore at the end was surprisingly... gorey. Not so sure about the kid actor and his dubious accents though.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

More Dario deliriousness.... As I try and catch up by Optimum Day, last night I doubled Suspiria with Inferno, the latter of which I hadn't seen in 15 years or so. Loved them both, though more for their riotous use of colour, thumping scores (Keith Emerson's Inferno is wonderful) and dazzling cinematography. I still think I prefer his giallo movies - Tenebrae, Opera, Plumage, Deep Red and perhaps Sleepless - but the first two Mothers are great as well; both play frequently like dreams (Suspiria in particular).

On the rental front - Tell Me Something is an interesting Asian semi-giallo police procedural which starts with visceral violence and splat (body parts in plastic bags are being dumped all over Seoul), sags a bit in the middle but rouses itself with some plot twists for the finale.

Kolobos is a load of old tat which rips much of its coloured lighting style straight out of Suspiria and even has a score that's reminiscent of Inferno. Another film about pretty young things (mainly idiots) trapped and killed off in a house covered with cameras; it's not very good despite the occasional moment. Mention of it being a load of old kobolos or absolute bolokos are too obvious, so I won't do it.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Sarah of the Dead »

streetrw wrote:Tell Me Something is an interesting Asian semi-giallo police procedural which starts with visceral violence and splat (body parts in plastic bags are being dumped all over Seoul), sags a bit in the middle but rouses itself with some plot twists for the finale.
Is that the one where someone gets killed with a mobile phone fascia?
[size=75][url=http://sarahhatesyourmovie.blogspot.com]Sarah Hates Your Movie[/url][/size]
McReadys Beard
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by McReadys Beard »

I dont know if this is news but I went to see a preview of <REC> last night over in the Soho Screening rooms and I can honestly say that I loved every minute of its, brief, running time. I am not a fan of the 'shaky cam' style of film-making (this was the thing that ruined Diary of the Dead for me) but even I must admit that it made sense to use it in this film being that one of the characters is a news camerman! Without going into too much detail I found this film to be a bum-clenching, popcorn spilling, geuinely frightening horror movie. This is highly recommended.
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

my copy of The Mist arrived today,i couldnt wait to watch it,phones off curtains closed and just immerse myself in the world of the mist,its a fantastic film & a dimension film,thats not a dimension film.Frank Darabont has pulled of a hat trick of king adaptations,with superb casting and strong performances from all and good to see william sadler again,and a shocking ending too.
lets hope this gets the big screen release this really deserves.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

I watched 'The Assassination Of Jesse James....' last night. Beautiful film. And tonight (if all goes according to paln) I shall be heading off to see Rec.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Jim Fear wrote:I watched 'The Assassination Of Jesse James....' last night. Beautiful film. And tonight (if all goes according to paln) I shall be heading off to see Rec.
Was it me or did the cowboys in this film also appear to wanna get it on with each other... well not each other but Pitts character was the fascination of Afflecks... seemed very ummmmm brokeback.

Watching One Missed Call Remake now.... I don't like it when animals get harmed during movies.... it's not going well for our fluffy friends so far.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I saw One Missed Call. Gosh, got quite bored by end of the film. Devoid of suspense, jumps anything really. The only thing I liked was those mask like faces that kept popping up. Saying that would like to see the original see if that delivers on the jumps!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"