films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Yeah, I exchanged The Shining disc for the R1 in my Kubrick boxset.

Good to hear the NFT showed the US version.
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

Watched 'All the boys love Mandy lane' which was better than i was expecting and then watched Murder Set Pieces. Hmmm
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

this ones been a struggle to get through after finding it for 50p in a secondhand shop and that folks is all it worth,its freddys revenge a nightmare on elm st part 2 having had this on vhs,and not really remembering much about it,apart from seeing it at the ABC in Lincoln,but its a very gay movie,jesse cant control his feelings towards men he kills,the pe teacher after visiting a gay bar,and after getting it on,with his gf leaves her, goes to his mates grady,& wants to stay the night and kills him too,thus removing temptation,being in denial is tough in this movie,what part does freddy play in this? nothing really thats just the decoy to cover the real story,of a gay teenager living in white middle class suburbia,and not being able to come out to his parents,thats why all the nightmares & sleepless nights, he's had.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Watched Bronson recently. Interesting story but not quite sure about the comedian segments. Did not really add anything to what I read about him. Thought the lead actor was excellent and a corker synth soundtrack.

Then on the small screen watched Zombie Honeymoon via lovefilm. Entertaining zombie love story with a slight difference. Amusing in parts and again a rather good mellow soundtrack.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

My Kid Could Paint That - a really interesting documentary - starts off being fairly run of the mill about a 4 year old who is a genius at painting modern art - the tone of the film takes a shift after about 30 minutes in - well worth watching.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

The delightful Bad Biology

I missed this last summer but was determined to catch it when it hit dvd.

All I can say is wtf???
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Going to see 17 again in about 30 minutes. Its the Zac Efron and Matthew Perry take on Freaky Friday. I'm sure it will be shit, but I want my free bag of chocolate and warm water.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

More Jess Franco insanity in Doctor Jekyll's Mistresses. This is a cheat on several fronts: firstly it isn't a Jekyll and Hyde story but a Frankenstein tale in all but name (for no particularly good reason, a mad scientist has a reactivated corpse in his laboratory which he controls with sound waves), and secondly his name isn't Jekyll and he doesn't have any mistresses. In fact it shouldn't be called Doctor Jekyll's Mistresses, but Doctor Fisherman's Jazz Club Floozies And Total Strangers, as the Doc and the Monster go out every night and kill ladies of questionable virtue, again for no adequately explored reason. Best (dubbed) line comes from the police inspector on finding a clue: "If you'll permit a lack of taste, Sergeant, I think I must express my feelings with a vulgar display of swearing. Gadzooks!"
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Knowing - the Rotten Tomatoes rating (27%) suggests some of you will think me INSANE. But I loved it. It is absolute hokum sure, but both director Alex Proyas (back on form) and Nick Cage (in good performance shock) give the preposterous premise 100% total commitment.

Also it's not a sequel, remake or reimagining for which kudos!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I watched Cold Prey 2 yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it, if you liked the first one you should like the next one, the story moves on directly from the first. That leading lady is a hell of an actress!

I also watched Defiance which bored me to tears, and watched The Grudge 3 (mediocre). I then watched shuttle which I really enjoyed. Those ladies looked like a twisted version of those ladies that played fake guitar in that music video 'addicted to love'.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

krispyg wrote:The delightful Bad Biology

I missed this last summer but was determined to catch it when it hit dvd.

All I can say is wtf???
I bought that on DVD recently as well. I too missed it at FF, then when I saw the DVD I realised I'd thought possibly missed the film of the festival, so there's no way I'm missing any films at FF this year.

I just watched Curse Of The Queerwolf.....ummmm, yeah.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Was going to see Knowing but decided to see Haunting in Connecticut.

A rather good haunted house story which was unusual with hardly any false jumps. Did have some genuine jump worthy moments. Was let down by the continuous flashbacks which made me confused!

Then on the small screen Hangman's Curse. Interesting but confusing story with a crimefighting family planted in a school. With a rather preachy ending!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It feels like every genre movie between now and FF-X is doomed to disappoint. Last week it was Knowing, and I just got out of The Haunting In Connecticut: really nothing more than an ordinary haunted-house movie we've seen way too many times, and comes complete with an overbearing music score. The obvious template for this kind of thing is The Amityville Horror, and maybe the original Haunting, but it's not up there with those two (and I'm not much of a fan of any of the Amityville franchise). It's got a few jumps but that's about all. Still, it was fun hearing the chavvy hobbledehoy in the row behind screaming in panic.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

After a long day trawling the stalls at memorabilia NEC,(more of this to come in my blog) its nice to settle back and relax with a movie,and heres a movie thats quite frankly the dogs b*ll*ks,its Devil Dog,starring Richard Crenna & Kim Richards,a pesky satanic cult get a dog and introduce it to satan or one of his many demons and this end ups possesing the dogs pups,such cute pups complete with glowing demonic eyes,taking over the household and killing any that oppose it,top quality entertainment with a low price tag :)
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

I watched Alone in the dark, no not the Uwe Boll one!!! Its a really good 80's siege / slasher film. Cant believe i hadnt heard of it until recently!!