films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: films we just saw

Post by xBIGJOEx »

Inception - finally got to see it at the weekend. amazing really enjoyed it
Skinwalkers - never seen it didnt believe it could be THAT bad...it was... awful
Hellboy animated movies - lovedthe stylised look nice animation but they didnt quite do it all for me. great dvd extras.
Batman mask of the phantasm - pre chris nolan the best batman film ever
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

Black Sabbath, with a nice informative intro by Alan :)
"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're *British*, you know..."
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Chatroom (2010, dir. Hideo Nakata)

Back on these pages last summer, Rawshark gave a heads-up for a chance to be an extra for the day in Hideo Nakata's new London-set movie, Chatroom. So I headed to Camden Market one sunny morning, did the whole sitting-around-for-hours thing, and finally got to walk up-and-down, pretending to browse in the background...

Then the finished movie played Cannes were it got panned...

Last Wednesday it opened in France - which was a bit of luck as I was on holiday there - so I got to check it out...

First up, you can kind of see me in it, minus my head! My out-of-focus body lumbers towards the camera... so it could be anyone! It's interesting because there were quite a few extras milling about and you hardly see any of them in the final cut.

As for the movie? It's a mess. The first fifteen minutes are confusing as hell, then when you get a handle on whats going on the film keeps missing its targets... set-ups have no or minimal pay-off, plus - from the director of The Ring no less - a complete lack of dread throughout!

Don't be surprised if this goes direct to DVD here.

I also caught another unreleased Brit movie -

Tamara Drewe (2010, dir Stephen Frears)

Gemma Atherton stars as the title character who returns to the village where she grew up, causing havoc among the menfolk. Based on a graphic novel - although not the usual type we are used to seeing adapted - this is actually pretty good with some decent laughs... main gripe: Tamara herself has less to do in the second half, and almost becomes a bit player, especially for the title character.
ladyXzombina
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ladyXzombina »

Mine was '2001 maniacs; field of screams'..what can i say about that movie?..meh, thats all i can find to say about it!!
bill mosely's performance was slightly wooden (i hate to say that as i love mr mosely), for me the highlight was ogre playing hopper..nom nom!! !!For all you guys out there..tis a real titty fest!!
"Some people prefer the finer things in life, but i'm alright just hanging out with the ghost of vincent price"
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

Human centipede (cinema) - OK so the "feeeeed her !feeeeeed her!!!!" bit was pretty OTT but all in all a fun flick
Creepshow (DVD) Loved it never seen it all the way through before but really enjoyed it
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

TOY STORY 3

Just as wonderful and as magical as the first two combined, Pixar have come up with a classic here. They seem to get it right in a way that satisfies their child audience but also draws in an adult one too, the perfect family film.

Pixar really really impress me, torn between this and UP as my favourite film of theirs.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

and yes, I did shed a few tears
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

The Expendables
a guilty pleasure from start to finish,low on character high on action it dispenses with the sensibilities of other mercernary action films but delivers testosterone fuelled action by the minute,its great to see dolph lundgren on the big screen,and brit martial arts star gary daniels too with ex wrestlers 80s action stars and great cameos & a slick eric roberts is he ever without a suit? its the perfect friday night action film or any night action film,and its great to see terry crews in an action role too.
the only draw back for me is the the use of the cgi effects for blood and gunshots whatever happened to squibs and prosthetics.
but anyway it doesnt detract from the overall enjoyment of the film as its a no brainer all brawn.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Raging Phoenix - After the amazing Chocolate I was really looking forward to JeeJin(?)'s 2nd film....but boy does it suck. Now, I have no problems with dumb films - after all, I am uber excited about The Expendables and Piranha 3D but Raging Phoenix is so terribly stupid that it's actually quite embarrassing to watch (an evil gang that kidnaps women to make perfume from their tears foiled by a gang of breakdancing martial artists who only fight when pi**ed???!!). Even worse, the fight scenes are boring and there is too much obvious wire work. Booo!!! A massive step backwards.
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

Just watched Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion which I thought was excellent. Fantastic cinematography throughout, backed up with an excellent angular soundtrack and some top-quality late-70s subtitling ;). The production values far exceeded my expectations for an early seventies women-in-prison movie, so I'll definitely check out a few more of the sequels. Onward, retro Pinky Violence adventures!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

A Day of Violence (2010, dir Darren Ward)

Years ago you could only buy Darren Ward's movies - giallo-influenced slashers or violent shoot-em-up's - by mail order or on German DVD. Now, thanks to a more liberal BBFC, this ultraviolent gangster pic is uncut, and under a tenner in Asda!

Set in his native Southampton, the films opens with John Morghan AKA Giovanni Lombardo Radice with a pointy beard, looking like Michael Eavis, and features an Italian-influenced soundtrack. Plus plenty of blood.

The effects were always above average in Ward's semi-pro movies, but the acting and pacing always let him down... here the acting is mixed, but - as before - there's a lot here that could be trimmed.

Not bad though, as long as you know what to expect from a Ward movie.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Salt - was disappointed by this... found it a bit flat.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Went to the Grolsch and Little White Lies Presents Scott Pilgrim vs The World at the Curzon Soho last night - What a truly awesome movie! It really is an Epic Epic of Epicness!

The Direction was spot on, the cast were fantastic, and although maybe not displaying as much heart and character development (with the exception of Scott Pilgrim) as Kick Ass, this one pipped it to the post on every other level.

There were musical video game references popping up every two seconds and lots of in jokes that will please the old school gamers (I'm talking Sega MEgadrive/ Gamegear and N64), I loved every second of it and I want to see it again now :)

Oh and if you like Metric, Beck and Broken Social Scene, you'll love the soundtrack! Good work Mr Wright - 5 stars!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Gregg Ariki's Mysterious Skin (2004)

I put this aside after Kaboom was anounced at FF, to see if I wanted to give that a go or duck out for Amer, and decided to watch it anyway... I seem to recall seeing another of his a few years and not being too fussed... and it was the same here... I could take it or leave it. Best thing: Chloe from 24 was in it!

DVD includes Araki at his favourite festival, the LFF...
Spencer
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Spencer »

piranha 3d.
genius.
http://twitter.com/roughtradeshops

http://lastblogontheleft2.wordpress.com/