films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

I have never seen Cannibal Holocaust. I've always been put off by the look if it, dunno why.
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: films we just saw

Post by thesavageintruder »

A few genuinely unsettling recent "found footage" / faux-reality horrors : the queasy domestic-horror flick HOME MOVIE, which observes a middle class family collapse over the course of a year's worth of holidays and festivities ; LAKE MUNGO - a vastly underrated Australian found footage ghost story with at least one terrifying image ; and THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES, a chilly and nasty serial killer pic that helped its directors get the QUARANTINE gig. A rare and worthy British slant on the format is EXHIBIT A, worth checking out on dvd, and about the impact of sudden redundancy on a West Yorkshire family man. It ends with a pretty impressive bout of one-take slaughter and has the uncomfortably voyeuristic feel of the best of its type.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

daveroughcut wrote:I have never seen Cannibal Holocaust. I've always been put off by the look if it, dunno why.

Cannibal holocaust is good! One of the better video nasties, it's got some real meaning behind it and is still a pertinent film. All the animal killing makes it seem pretty extreme which definitely benefits it, even if it is s bit mean
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Mr Bill wrote:
DoctorKaren wrote:
iateabee wrote: The Last Broadcast - I've been meaning to see this for ages as I'm a sucker for Found Footage horror films and this represented a gaping hole in my collection.
quote]

What do you reckon is the best 'found footage' horror?
It has got to be Cannibal Holocaust

The blurred line between the fictional and actual exploitation of the indigenous people (and animals) makes this uncomfortable viewing, and to this day no other film has caused as much controvercy and genuine legal suspicion of actual misdeeds.
I still find this a brilliantly harrowing, albeit uncomfortably manipulative and morally dubious film.
Where the Blair Witch Project (which has always admitted being influenced by Cannibal Holocaust) merely generated some great method acting, camerawork and pre-release buzz, Deodato smashed through the fourth wall with the specific intention of poking Mary Whitehouse in the eye with a burnt stick.

The Last Horror Movie is worth a look, especially if you can rent a copy from somewhere, its one of the few that attempted to engage with the viewer, a bit like the BBC's Ghostwatch did back in 1992.
I think the last horror movie is an ace film, watched it by myself in my house and was genuinely scared i was gonna get murdered!
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

I finally saw Scream4 at the weekend - terrible, 10 years too late, 30 mins too long and its creative team seem to think it is much more "clever" than it actually is. Neve Campbell i thought did really well considering the script and everything else. a few cute lines but not a patch on the wonderful original. Wes Craven has slipped even further
I also watched Centurion which way too much CGI blood aside i thought was a total blast
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Insidious, first 40 minutes are pure tension and the rest of the movie is Poltergeist with Darth Maul.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
zombie-elvira
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by zombie-elvira »

thesavageintruder wrote:A few genuinely unsettling recent "found footage" / faux-reality horrors : the queasy domestic-horror flick HOME MOVIE, which observes a middle class family collapse over the course of a year's worth of holidays and festivities ; LAKE MUNGO - a vastly underrated Australian found footage ghost story with at least one terrifying image ; and THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES, a chilly and nasty serial killer pic that helped its directors get the QUARANTINE gig. A rare and worthy British slant on the format is EXHIBIT A, worth checking out on dvd, and about the impact of sudden redundancy on a West Yorkshire family man. It ends with a pretty impressive bout of one-take slaughter and has the uncomfortably voyeuristic feel of the best of its type.
I must say, 'The poughkeepsie Tapes' was a good watch
Ace
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Ace »

Did I see this mentioned here or Reddit? I'm not sure but THE TUNNEL is definitely worth a watch.

http://www.thetunnelmovie.net/index.php

It's a free download too!
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re:

Post by DoctorKaren »

rawshark wrote:Saw a preview of An American Haunting with Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek..

Not a great script admittedly, but some good visuals and one or two genuinely jumpy moments... Rachel Hurd-Wood is good, Sutherland hammy.
Must admit this is one of the few films that ever really irritated me. It is well-made, but I wasn't impressed by the narrative arc. Spacek is worth watching in nigh on anything, though.
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

A little 'Found Footage' list to plough through!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_foot ... tage_films

Doesn't include 2005's 'In Memorium' which could be called a Paranormal Activity rip off where it not for the fact it was made two years before. Not great from what I recall though.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Cheers for that. They also forgot Paranormal Activity: Tokyo Nights which was supposed to be out on DVD already, but is now delayed until October :x
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Two stories of desperate women driven to extreme lengths to survive. I Spit on Your Grave and Burlesque!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Love them both!!! *pops in his headphones and struts round the shopping centre all Aguilera, learning routines.... Jazz Hands*

MOTHERS DAY!!! Catch it at the cinema while you can!! Love De Mornay!
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

Red White and Blue is now avaliable on region 1, watched it last night for the first time since Frightfest 2010. Even better a second time. It is such an intense bleak experience, that really stays with you.

Noah Taylor has to be one of the screen's most realistic psychopaths. Extraordinary Acting by all involved.

Hope there is a film this dark at this years event.
Pukka
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pukka »

The Rig
A bit like Feast Meets Blackout meets all the other monster-on-an-oilrig movies. Pants. At least they used a man in a suit for most of the time the things were on screen. Will probably end up on SyFy minus a few F words and blood splashes.