films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

Yeah, Just for the zombies though. Honest.
"I see the bad moon arising.."
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

haha enjoy you two!
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

shit me again.

if you like this kind of stuff check out Zombie self defence force, Stacy, Ocheenabara the movie (bit too much cgi in that one), wild zero, junk, all good Japanese zombie movies.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

Stacy, Oneechanbara and Wild Zero are all on the "To Watch" list already :)
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

more nonsense in The Backwoods with gary oldman and paddy considine stumbling their way through a spanish production for a paycheck,its largely wasted and is a missed opportunity.
caught up with HSM lots of fun if you like this thing,good wholesome family fun.
on this im running late, i finally watched Finding Nemo,really enjoyed this,though ToyStory is my fave pixar pic.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

I agree, they could of done so much more with The Backwoods so it's a bit of a shame that they didn't really.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Grindhouse wrote:more nonsense in The Backwoods with gary oldman and paddy considine stumbling their way through a spanish production for a paycheck,its largely wasted and is a missed opportunity.
caught up with HSM lots of fun if you like this thing,good wholesome family fun.
on this im running late, i finally watched Finding Nemo,really enjoyed this,though ToyStory is my fave pixar pic.
Backwoods is excellent!
I watched HSM the other day after making Mr O record it for me, I have number 2 to watch on the box too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed it.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

an xmas eve movie catch up with Sky High,with Kurt Russell& Kelly Preston as 2 superheroes with a son off to sky high,the childrens superhero school,bruce campbell stars as a teacher and lynda carter as the headmistress,pretty good fun for a kids movie and adults alike,mary elizabeth winstead,plays a good role too.
i felt in the need for being told off so i watched Funny Games U.S,although its a pointless remake its watchable for those who dont like subtitles,but if you have seen the original,thats much better as having subtitles in this film makes the viewer concentrate more,film fours inept ad breaks ruined any build ups or shocks that there mght have been.
just rent the original!
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Three films which feature Bill Nighy and Micheal Sheen extensively across the board.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Is pretty much the Vamp/Werewolf romance story we were promised the first Underworld would be.
Mix in a little Spartacus and Passion of the WereChrist, a dash of wood (Rhona Mitra) and this is the end result.
The film in no way gives us any information we didnt already know from several lines of dialogue from the first, so it is by its very nature redundant. Despite this it entertains in its own right and does make you wish it had been a bit longer to give it the epic feel it could have had.
Bill Nighy obviously loves playing Viktor and Sheen is given a far more interesting spin on Lucian this time round - a mix of messiah and King Leonidas.
Though it does make you wonder where all the Mega Psycho Werewolves directly spawned by William Corvinus were by the events of the first movie.
It also makes you wish this was the first movie of this franchise as theres quite a cool moment in the end face off with Viktor and Lucian. Lets just say sword swallowing is not Viktor's forte!

Frost/Nixon
There was a time when hysteria over a President was based on his actions rather than what he merely claims he will do. The damage Nixon did to the political system is still being felt today.
Sheen goes beyond mere impersonation here and once more proves he is one of our great unmined resources in the acting field.
Of course the film actually belongs to Langella as Nixon, only slightly less evil than his role as Skeletor. Though if Nixon was able to shot lightening from his staff who knows!
The interviews and the preambles are played out much like boxing. A metaphor sadly rammed down your throat at one point but its still a well realised comparison.
Food for thought with anyone interested in political history.

Valkyrie
Tom Cruise does rather well as usual supported by a huge pool of recognisable brit thespians. Chief amongst them is Nighy.
Its a worthwhile movie that only pics up once Operation Valkyrie is put into effect. No classic and one that might have been more celebrated had it been a German movie (much like last years Boy in the Striped Pyjamas).
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Valkyrie

Saw this with my other half, she liked it, I hated it. For me it just failed completely to work as a thriller. The end is never in doubt and Singer just can't inject any tension into proceedings.

Every scene seems to have a new British thesp in it. Although bafflingly the British actor playing Hitler is the only one to do an accent. Then half way through actual German actor Thomas Kretshmann turns up to further confuse things accent wise. Maybe it doesn't help that I couldn't stop comparing it to Downfall.

The moment when a secretary in the Berlin HQ picks up a phone and asks for "Paris, France" was cringe inducing, where the hell else would the Nazi's be based? Paris, Texas? Paris Hilton?

Wish I'd went to see Underworld 3 now.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Underwhelmed: Rise of the Lycans

It was alright but not a patch on the first two, I was expecting some superb fight scenes the beginning of the war between Vampire and Lycan kind... what I got was a poorly written love story, not as bad as some of the lines that were spouted out during Mirrors but pretty close at a few points. :)

It's prolly cause it moved at a slower pace that I didn't really enjoy it as much as the first two but come on they could mad the love story secondary to the main plot which was the Rise of the Lycans from slavery and at one point I expected the slaves to start saying "I'm Spartacus" it was just urgh... although the action was fun to watch and lots of blood to be had too!

Spoiler but if you've seen Underworld you already know this bit :)

I just felt meh... nothing really clicked until that ceiling opened up and engulfed Rhona in flames...
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

There have what seem to be months no decent films at the cinema. Then a pictorial avalanche! Hoorah!

The Wrestler, very much documentary style and Mickey Rourke was amazing. Beautifully told story and of him facing reality with some uncomfortable home truths. Made this very watchable!!!

Nixon/Frost. I never seen the original interview. At the start of the film thought it was very much David Frost angle. His researchers doing all the work and he waltzes in to do the interview without research. Thurs Nixon making him look easily inept as interviewer. Agree with the point mentioned earlier about the boxing element. Two egos but only one that can come out of it intact.

Michael Sheen is becoming the man of thousand characters. Another splendid turn by him. Mickey Rourke and Frank Langella as Best Actor? Hard to choose which.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

from Albert Pyun comes a film on my rental list which is pretty darn good,Brainsmasher a love story,want to see Terri Hatcher before superman,Andrew Dice Clay after ford fairline and a good supporting cast rent this,low budget fun with a super SOH,you have to ask where does pyun go wrong,but with this its alright,brion james tim thomerson,deborah van valkenburgh co star.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

couple of movies seen this week
Defiance a solid film well made from Ed Zwick,who always seems to put a glossy edge on his films,this one looks stripped bare of any gloss and a great story of heroism and struggle.
MBV3D needs no introduction,but i loved it,the 3d works and its loads of fun,had to resist shouting at the screen,when Tom Atkins appeared,Jensen Ackles is great,one not to miss,oh and thanks to the person next to me,had her mobile phone out all through the film,it escapes me why folks go to the cinema,just to txt :x
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Anaconda 3 - Errr.... how can I find something positive to say about this film......David Hasselhoff's best movie?

Black Water - 3 backpackers vs 1 mean croc. More "Open Water" than "Jaws", but has its moments. What's happened to Greg McLean's "Rogue"??

Funny Games US / The Strangers - Saw both of these within a few days of each other. There was a similar outbreak of "home invasion" films in the early 90's with Pacific Heights, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, Single White Female etc, but whilst these proposed that the family unit was somehow powerful enough to overcome the destructive forces that live outside its 4 walls, today's film-makers seem to take a more jaundiced view. "Society" has lost the battle - the last thing you'll see is some asbo sticking a hunting knife in to your partner's guts and there'll be f**k all you can do about it. Still.....at least I won't have to watch Anaconda 3 again!